Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#2278618 - 08/07/07 03:58 PM Re: Military Monday (08/06/2007) [Re: Magnum]  
Wepps Offline
Wepps  Offline

Beaumont, Texas
Right, there is not need to "never" use TS for communication, especiall if danger is close and you need your shooters to be aware. IN that base use "Break Break Break" and get your fire team the information they need.

That also means that if people are keyed up and talking on TS when someone yells Break Break Break, get quiet fast, something important is happening.

Now, as much as I like the Black Sword mission and all its little tweaks, its a nightmare for tactical and operational control. From the beginning the HALO is chaos because not everyone quite understands it.

I guess I'm more of a simple guy.. I prefer simple up front infantry vs infantry engagements opposed to bells and whistles.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2278648 - 08/07/07 04:41 PM Re: Military Monday (08/06/2007) [Re: Wepps]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
lol crash I saw and heard the attack that man.....

But, I didn't know where he/they was/were! Maybe target that man would have given me his location. dunno.

Anyway, I just started lobbing grenades, which didn't help you and got me killed while reloading. Sometimes ya just can't win.

Something was causing alot of lag for me in the Halo mission. ie;

Slow looked to be in prone position all the time! He was sliding around on his belly the whole time.
Me seeing that MG gunner at the bridge manning the gun AFTER Wepps had killed him.
When I got close he was gone.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#2278654 - 08/07/07 04:50 PM Re: Military Monday (08/06/2007) [Re: Nixer]  
Razorback Offline
No one of consequence
Razorback  Offline
No one of consequence
Veteran

NJ
Dslyecxi has an excellent guide with an excellent description of how to use comms.

http://dslyecxi.com/armattp2.html#commandcomm

Everyone should be familiar. \:\)

His example for FTL communicating with the SL is:

Quote:
"Command, this is (your callsign), (what you're reporting) (where it's located/what map mark has been used)."

Example:

Quote:
"Command, this is Charlie, enemy armor spotted at Saint Hubert, marked as "tank1" on map."

So, state first who you are talking to, then who you are, and then what you have to say. \:\)

#2278667 - 08/07/07 05:04 PM Re: Military Monday (08/06/2007) [Re: Razorback]  
CrashDome Offline
CrashDome  Offline

Beer City, WI
NP Nixer, I was banking my order on the fact that targetting (in Cadet mode) by the leader, should place a little square around the last known position of the contact I am assigning... With the current chatter (by the SL) giving orders to other units and my seemingly sudden in-ability to remember I am BRAVO and not ALPHA, I thought it would be best to in-game assign the targets and let you guys do your thing... but I realized after that I cannot guarantee that you see is what I see (little yellow square) due to either network lag or physical obstructions. The words "engage w/ GL" or "saturate the AO" is just not possible using the in-game command menu.... which is what I should have done.

Lessons learned.

@RB
After we all signed off, I had a chat with HurricaneJim who comes from the ShackTac site and has lead many units on there server. We discussed the differences of the comms and what he summed up makes good reason of the differences between SimHQ and ShackTac's mode of play:

ShackTac uses sub-channels and the various key-bindings of TS to limit the effective chat of any ONE unit to 3 other units. This means that the over-all commander really only has the other squad leader units in his comms (at most) and these leaders have 3 sub-leaders... etc. The only time they get alot of chatter is when you get down to the lower fire-team levels.

We cannot do this on SimHQ for good reasons A) we can't have sub-channels. B) we cannot restrict TS to *only* those who are leader units because we would miss alot of the important contact info. Thus, SimHQ represents what on ShackTac would be the lower level Fire-teams with one SL and the lack of sub-channels restricts our resources to having more of the regular chatter (movement and coordination within a single fire-team) sharing the same channel as the other fire-teams AND the SL. For what we have, I think we do rather well even if we are not as organized as ShackTac.

Last edited by CrashDome; 08/07/07 05:18 PM.

Usually found simming in:
Falcon 4 BMS
iRacing
Arma 2 CO
#2278687 - 08/07/07 05:24 PM Re: Military Monday (08/06/2007) [Re: CrashDome]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Good points and info Crash. I wondered how they did it.

The commo Cluster fork in Black Sword made me more of a believer in the single squad leader with subordinate team leaders system we are using.

It ain't perfect but it works.

edit:

We did have a couple of casualty free or vey low casualty missions last nite. Good job by all.

Last edited by Nixer; 08/07/07 05:28 PM.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#2278689 - 08/07/07 05:32 PM Re: Military Monday (08/06/2007) [Re: Nixer]  
Razorback Offline
No one of consequence
Razorback  Offline
No one of consequence
Veteran

NJ
I have played on the Shack server, so I am well aware of how they operate. \:\) However, I actually think we are more disciplined than they are, and more effective... well, when everyone is acting disciplined.

#2278734 - 08/07/07 06:22 PM Re: Military Monday (08/06/2007) [Re: Razorback]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
The weird thing is sometimes I would see the move waypts Crash put and sometimes I wouldn't. Didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it, although if he gave a "3, 4" order it never seemed to work while individual ones worked better. Again, not 100% though.

I saw the target box for the guy, but it was behind trees and bushes and blind firing did nothing. I then saw a guy climbing up the hill to my left who could've been that guy, having run down the street and around the corner. I got him, but shortly afterwards fire came from my right, to the east of where Crash had targeted a guy. Was THAT the one he'd targeted? Another guy? Don't know, I was just as dead. The enemy could see through the cover but I couldn't.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#2278753 - 08/07/07 06:37 PM Re: Military Monday (08/06/2007) [Re: Magnum]  
Enven Offline
4th Horseman of the Apocalypse...
Enven  Offline
4th Horseman of the Apocalypse...

Lat: 33.7669444 Long: -118.188...
God I look so cool.

RIP Kevin "Positive G" Speichts
#2278765 - 08/07/07 06:49 PM Re: Military Monday (08/06/2007) [Re: Enven]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
I love Shack tactical for what they do and represent and have played with them before (OFP)... they have a great thing there, with a great system... but it defeats my vision of quick, squad size mission, where everyone knows everyone... Yes, they are a cooperative server but in the tech sense of air, land, and sea...while we are what i like to call small unit brotherhood, and one sister, lol.

2 very good pies, but one is apple and the other lemon. ;\)

I do hope you guys understand what I mean, and have been trying to do here... I know alot of people have made suggestions to expand TS, and all that stuff... but not in our goal... by all means if your looking more for that type of game play, good luck...highly recommend both Shack tactical and tactical Gamer... but if you want to be part of the "brotherhood" here at SimHQ, this is the way we operate.
;\)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.