Time for a small update....
I finished mounting the right side panel and in doing so, I altered the build again. (An eventuality, when you design as you go.
I've been wrestling with how to simplify entering and exiting the pit. If I were to stay true to the Comanche, I would have to climb through the left side window. There are a few issues with that.
- First, most of my custom built panels are on the left side and the thought of climbing over them every time was not comforting.
- Second, the space that my pit occupies is better suited for a right side entry.
- Lastly, after one knee surgery (and one on the way!), the idea of climbing
sent me running for the Naproxen!
So, I decided to hinge the right side panel.
(Eventually, the exterior shell will also be hinged but seperately so that when someone besides me is flying I can still help them fly.)
Here's what I came up with.
Here it is closed. It doesn't have the outer skin on yet, so you can see the cable latch.
Here is a close-up of the hinge. The hinge is stock aluminum piano hinge but to give it a smoother travel I disassembled it, filed down the interlacing section a bit, and installed delrin washers. I also put in a ring, at the top of the pin, for future disassembly. The threaded rod arms, behind and inboard of the hinge, not only help to stabilize the panel but allow me to tilt and level it.
Here is a close-up of the cable latch assy.
The rubber bumper helps to cushion the blow, when closing it, and allows me to adjust out any slop, in the pin latch.