Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#1775883 - 09/04/06 03:03 PM Saitek X-52 and wheel brakes (K)  
Bean Offline
Bean  Offline

Greetings all,

First post here.

Over the summer I started learning F4:AF. It's been a long road, but I'm taking my time and trying to learn at a slow but steady pace. It's been a tremendous amount of fun - I'm enjoying this game more than any other I've played in at least the last five years, if not more. To complete the experience, I bought a Saitek X-52 HOTAS.

I'm slowly adding custom programming to the X-52 as I learn more. I would like to add the wheel brakes (K) key to the X-52, but I can't get it to work. I'd like it to be either a toggle: click a button and the K key is depressed until the button is clicked again, or have it be like the keyboard: as long as the button is depressed it's just like the K key is depressed on the keyboard.

The closest I've gotten is a macro, holding the key for a certain amount of time, but that's not what I'm after.

Can someone offer some help?

Thank you!

Bean

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#1775884 - 09/04/06 03:59 PM Re: Saitek X-52 and wheel brakes (K)  
TheJedi Offline
TheJedi  Offline

As far as I know, a toggle option is not implemented nor can it be improvised via macro programming.

However, I use the D-button on the throttle just like your second option. Holding down means breaking until you release it. Just like the original K-key on the keyboard.

But there was nothing complicated about achieving this behaviour. In fact I used the easiest way there is. Just choose the button you're going to use, press K and then click the green check-button. That's all and it works just fine.

But perhaps I misunderstood some of your description and it's not exactly what you're looking for.

PS: Advanced commands (or whatever it is called in the English version of the software) are closer to what you were looking for in the firstplace. Macro just records your keypresses while advanced commands give the possibility to change the behaviour on press and release. But the simple version works as well.

Another idea: If you're not using the precision slider, you could use banding to make it something like a toggle switch.

For example, if you divide the axis in two areas with one being the K keypress and the other empty, moving the slider to the area would toggle the brake until you move the slider back.

I used this behavior for airbrake out and in (with 3 areas, middle = empty, forward = airbrake in, back = airbrake out).

But be careful with shift or ctrl combinations. Because as long as that combination is held down, shift or ctrl will be applied to all other keystrokes as well. Almost crashed the plane because of this. \:\) So remember to put the slider back to normal to avoid that.

#1775885 - 09/04/06 05:27 PM Re: Saitek X-52 and wheel brakes (K)  
Bean Offline
Bean  Offline

Thank you for the reply.

I thought I had tried that (putting 'K' in the edit box) and for some reason it didn't work. I just went and tried it again, this time binding 'K' to fire button E and it worked fine.

Using your suggestion of the slider, I was able to simulate a toggle and that worked even better.

Thank you for the suggestion.

#1775886 - 09/04/06 06:18 PM Re: Saitek X-52 and wheel brakes (K)  
Shady70 Offline
Shady70  Offline

Evergreen, Colorado
Click below my post for a pre-created profile. This might help you see the different tricks and so-forth that are possible with your software. It might be useful for some ideas while you're creating your own work of art!

#1775887 - 09/05/06 02:11 AM Re: Saitek X-52 and wheel brakes (K)  
Rooks Offline
Rooks  Offline

Adelaide, AU
Hopefully the button toggle mode will be available in SD5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.