I had that bug too several weeks ago and now it has crossed the Atlantic.
Fellows I tend to disagree regarding Olga. IMHO she has become an integral part of this wonderful thread. As far as I am concerned there is nothing obscene or lewd about those wonderful stories. 99.99% of the folks interested in HWH are adults. To anyone else the mild double entendres will likely make no sense anyway. Technically, "The Olga Sagas" as I've come to call them could rate being in a separate directory all by themselves and although inferior to the Olga stories in every way we might include the stories I wrote about Ilsa there too.
There is a lot of OT stuff here boys. Good stuff I'd hate to lose. For instance SNAFU's well written story about his other sim and those about IL2 written by others. I've written some stories that do not deal with BoB myself. OT stories of any kind can be included IMHO simply because they were posted here. Poems and other quotes can be included if the HWH poster is named and source properly attributed. We might place all the OT stuff in a separate folder if desired.
1) Where there is no title I make up a suitable one myself.
2) Where there is a series of chapters I add "Chapter 1-2-3 etc. to the title which becomes the file name.
3) I save the story as "Von Krashenburn's Revenge Chapt. 2" in the directory (folder) named for the author.
4) Because I also type into MS Word document above the story the following info we do not have to worry too much regarding chronological mix ups:
Story Title/ Chapter #
HWH Cont., Page #, Date posted IE 5/16/02
By: Author's name
5) As for typos, I think it is OK to use your spell checker. I would not however 'edit' a word of the text without permission from the author.
6) If the poster is NOT the actual author of the work I put "Posted by: Name" and then give full credit to the actual author at the bottom of the story IE "From: The Taming of the Smoo by Alfred E. Neumann"
Please, I am not the leader. And as my wife may attest I am certainly not fearless. SNAFU is and always has been our "Fearless Founder" repleat with mask, cape and tights.
I could not open the file you sent. What format was it in? Once everything is complete everyone will just exchange what they have. I'll send what I have to C51 and SNAFU and C51 and SNAFU send all you have collected to me. That way we will all have a complete collection of HWH Cont. stories to work with. In other words I will receive a zipped file from each of you and you will both get one from me.
Here is the format:
Directory name: HWHCont_Page_1-13
Be sure to zip the files so the folder format is retained. It won't look like it in the pane but when unzipped properly the folders and names will be there. Here is how to do it if you don't already know.How do I compress a folder and later restore it?
Note: there are easier ways to do this, but this is the easiest to explain. In particular, using the drag and drop interface or the WinZip menu entry in the File Manager can save you most of these steps.
How to compress a folder and its subfolders:
1. Start WinZip
2. Select New Archive from the File menu
3. Type the name of the archive, for example:
C:\MYDIR.ZIP and press the Enter key
4. Select Add from the Actions menu
5. Type the full filespec of the files you want to add, for example:
6. Be sure the Include subfolders box is checked and the Save extra folders
info box is not checked
7. Press the Add with wildcards button. (In Windows “wildcards” are the
asterisk and question mark characters. These let you specify multiple files
at once, for example, “* Txt” refers to all files with a file type of “Txt”.)
How to restore a folder and its subfolders:
1. Start WinZip and open the Zip created in step 1 above
2. Select Extract from the Actions menu
3. Be sure the Use folder names checkbox is checked
4. Type the destination folder, for example
5. Press the Extract button
Here's an idea or three.
How about a photo of the authors and a little bio of each to be included? Also I think our Fearless Founder should write some sort of introduction explaining what in the world he had in mind at the beginning, why he started HWH in the first place (the source code flame wars were blazing on the forum) and finally what in his opinion it has grown to be and will go on to become.
Each author might include a short snippet on what this thread means to us and why we take the time to visit and post here?
Just some rambling thoughts.