#1716851 - 05/21/04 06:46 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) ****  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Gentlemen,

JRT,

Jayne and I are very sorry to hear that JayDee is no more and offer our sincere condolences. Those illustrated emails just won't seem the same. \:\(

We build up very close relations with animals and it can be tough when they go. I blubbered like a baby when we had to have our Rottweiller, Layla, put to sleep. We still miss her and that was well over 5 years ago.

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#1716852 - 05/21/04 06:59 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued)  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Gentlemen,

On a lighter note, we went the cinema last night to see TROY. Brad Pitt came through very well as the pshyco warrior Achilles. He really kept his end up in more ways than one. In an early sequence, you can plainly see his vaccination mark but later on, someone must have noticed and covered it with a small 'scar'. Eric Bana also shone.

Diane Kruger (Helen) can't act for toffee but who cares about that when you get to see here butt?

Orlando Bloom (Paris) was as bland and shallow as ever (Pirates of the Carribean) and Sean Bean is still stricken with a dual accent - something between Park Lane and Attercliffe but he did O.K.

A glorious bloodfest...go and see it.

Manfred von Richtofen

#1716853 - 05/21/04 07:41 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued)  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Friend Stickman:

Aloha and a sincere thank you for remembering JayDee. He was a cherished part of the very innermost fabric of our everyday lives. What a treat it was to know him for over five years. \:\)

Friend Old Dux:

Sincere thanks to you and to Lady "J" for your kind words of condolence. Having lost one who was dear to you yourself you certainly know how we are feeling right now. This miserable cold is not helping any either. Spring must be tough on critters. It was but a year ago this past April that we lost our son's coon hound Dan. We still miss him too.

We have not seen Pitt's "Troy" yet. Based upon your endorsement we may brave the unwashed multitudes ebbing and flowing at the local multiplex and treading upon at least an inch of popcorn encrusted sticky gum we will grope about in the dark to find two seats reasonably close to one another. We're an unpretencious lot who don't mind a sticky step or two so we'll probably see it fairly soon. If not at one of the local multiplexs then sooner or later on DVD.

Frankly, in spite of the "four walling" adverts I've seen for a solid month on every TV channel I expected it to be just another one of those summertime Hollywood blockbuster historical spectacles. Short on history but long on spectacle.

Perhaps the huge battle scenes and special effects will make it worthwhile? From what I've seen in the trailers Achilles and Hektor seem to have found a more realistic method of movie sword fighting. Their bronze swords do not seem to be somehow magnetized as most cinematic blades have always been.

Pardon me if I'm wrong Mr. Flynn but in the past it has always seemed to me that the swords were doing all the fighting. Have you noticed this too? It always looked as if the thrusting and parrying fellows were far more intent in hitting each other's sword for 99% of the fight than actually striking any vital part of their equally striving enemy's anatomy. Ahhh, well they do call them sword fights don't they? The fight in this "Troy" film seems far more realistic to me. From what little I've seen every blow seems to be a killing attempt.

Nevertheless I bet poor Homer is rolling in his grave either laughing or crying ...perhaps both.

Undeniably handsome (so says my wife) Brad Pitt has never been a favorite actor of mine although on talk shows (like Charlie Rose) he comes off as both intelligent and articulate. Sean Bean however has been a favorite actor of mine for many years. Ever since he (as Sharpe in "Sharpe's Rifles)took those sparkly Eagles from a much aggravated Napoleon. Every performance I have seen Bean give has been masterfully done. Too bad if he was unable or unwilling to master the clearly spoken word for this film.

Speaking of that vaccination scar you noticed on Mr. Pitt, it just goes to prove what Hollywood and I have suspected all along, the ancients had far more scientific knowledge than the true historians ever give them credit for. ;\)

According to my friend who was actually in the Ted Turner film "Gettysburg", that "historical" film is filled with such minor flaws as ghosts of removed wrist watches on period wrists, modern telephone lines, a sprinkle of rooftop TV antennas in the background and many others. How do we know the lines aren't telegraph lines?

Still I enjoyed the un-Civil war film. I think Robert Duval whom I've actually met was a far better R.E. Lee (portrayed in another film) than the very good actor Martin Sheen managed to be in "Gettysburg". I have not met Mr. Sheen but admire much of his work. IMHO he does a fine job as the POTUS in the TV series "West Wing".

Ted Turner whom I have also met had a cameo appearance in his own film. I am told (and it shows up in my VHS version of the movie) that when Turner is hit by a Yankee mini ball the Squibb goes off on one breast and our consummate actor Ted immediately grabs the wrong side as he falls out of frame and into the abyss of non-OSCAR contention and cinematic oblivion.

Since reading your opinoin I've been meaning too but I have yet to see "Master and Commander". That film I do look forward to. I plan to see that next week.

Mr. Cruise's "Last Samurai" will be next on our CD viewing list. Please tell me I'm wrong about this one but I don't expect it to be nearly as good as the TV series "Shogun" was. Anyone seen it?

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#1716854 - 05/21/04 11:59 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued)  
HeinzBaby Offline
HeinzBaby  Offline

Perth W Australia
JR2,
The loss of Pets are allways tough, they're part of the family and it hurts...
One of the hardesd things I've had to do was take our Siamese of 17years and a few months later our other Tonkonese to the Vet to be put to sleep due to suffering in old age...geez the whole family was in tears, they were magnificent mousers in their prime.

Good timing with the reviews of 'Troy'. Had planned to go see it this weekend, should be great entertainment.
Thouroughly recommend 'Master and Commander', watched it at the Cinema, then my wife, knowing my passion for anything Naval bought the two disc special edition DVD, fantastic woman \:D

Heia Safari
#1716855 - 05/22/04 02:25 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued)  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

HB:

Yes the loss of a beloved pet is neither the end of the world nor is it trivial. How much more poignant it must be to have a loved one of many years put to sleep. From my recent experience I suppose that if the pet passes away calmly without suffering in the arms of someone who loves them it is somewhat comforting for both.

Although it sometimes seems that one is completely alone at times of such loss one must realize that so many others across the world have gotten through the same painful experience. Thank you for thoughtfully sharing your feelings.

We have seven cats at the moment and one Belgian Shepherd dog. All save one of our cats are common American short hairs but each has his or her own personality and each has become a member of our extended family. Very soon most of the four kittens will be going to new homes. I will miss them even more after the loss of our ferret.

We have a Burmese cat who has lived in the house with us for years. The Siamese cat is a wonderful breed. I have always been partial to it but for some reason I have never owned such a cat. Years ago I had a girl friend whose wealthy family was adopted by two gorgeous pure-bred Siamese kittens. They were doted upon and ruled the house from sun up to sun down. I noticed that, unlike most cats of my experience, they meowed quite a bit and loudly. Indoor cats, they lived in feline luxury for many happy years. Whether they were good mousers I do not know. A common house mouse would have been an unlikely and most un-welcome guest in that spotless mansion.

Our cats catch bugs, shrews and birds. I have not seen one of them with a field mouse as yet. It is only a matter of time I suppose. Of coarse with so many cats around I expect any marginally intelligent mice in the area have all packed their little suitcases and hit the road for greener pastures. ;\)

I too enjoy naval movies, as by all accounts so do most of the others posting here. "Das Boot" in the directors cut version is a favorite of mine and others. And the much, much older British ship of the line tale "Damn the Defiant" is much liked by me. I therefore look forward with great anticipation to watching the DVD version of "Master and Commander".

Thank you again for your comment and for becoming a regular visitor here. \:\)

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#1716856 - 05/22/04 02:49 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued)  
Canuck51 Offline
Canuck51  Offline

Toronto, Canada
Nice to see so many dropping into the HWH pub.

It is true, you cannot judge the worth of a life by its' size, heroic deeds, articulate words or any other endowment. Rather it is by how much they mean to us that is the true measure of any being. So JayDee was clearly larger than life. He is well known by reputation to many of us, and we all share in his leaving. He was one ferret who thanks to this forum was known and loved the world over.

I have not seen Troy. Something about the seething millions of Trojans and Greeks - many of them blonde - in the adverts makes me suspect that the odd detail or two of history is not quite clearly portayed.

Master and Commander is highly recommended by myself, although I am not an authority on anything. But I do like a sea yarn, and this one seems to spin well. I confess to not having read the books.

"you know you've done a wheels up landing when it takes full power to taxi."
#1716857 - 05/22/04 03:38 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued)  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Friend C51:

Thank you and Lady "M" for your kind words and for all your supportive e-mails both recently and in the past. You are now and will always be my favorite Canadians.

Now that you mention it I suppose that Jaydee has attained a bit of notoriety on this forum at that. If he is remembered at all and well thought of it is not a tribute to the author but instead it is a tribute to his amazing character.

Though I spoke of him often there are many tales of his brazen exploits that I have seen fit not to have burdened you with. Such as the time we found him stuck up to the waist in a box of California raisins. Or the time he proved either his bravery or his extreme lack of discrimination by crawling up the very private skirts of my Mother-in-Law. That was a day for all survivors to remember and remark upon often I can tell you. ;\)

Disclaimer: I am an equal opportunity philosopher. Everyone is entitled to my opinions.

We and all our time here are but a flicker in God's imagination. To measure our importance and our impact upon the greater scheme of things we need only rise from and look back on the hole we leave in our bath water. Yet as my favorite author Mark Twain observes, the lowly oyster looks all about and marvels at the world that was created just for him.

I suppose our little problems of every day life and the pain that often accompany them really aren't the earth shattering events they seem to be to us mere oysters. Everything is relative my friends and everything is also very subjective. \:\)

Looking down at the nearest chronometer I see that it would just about be JayDee's usual bedtime. I am no longer required to tuck him in or feed him his vitamins of coarse but unlike our mortal pets old habits of many years die hard. In spite of everything that has happened it seems as if I should be doing all that bedtime stuff now and I can't shake the feeling. Pathetic ain't it? Just humor, ignore me and give me a bit more time folks. :rolleyes:

#1716858 - 05/22/04 05:31 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued)  
stickman Offline
stickman  Offline

Waipahu, Oahu, Hawai'i
JRT..

My first meeting with JayDee was the Prince and the Polecat paint that you sent me long ago.
I loved it and made it into a low resolution sign posted at the the back door of the Officer's Mess in BoB.
Alas! I have lost the image in my many HD frags. JayDee's body may be decomposing, but his spirit will not.

Roger.. can you make another Pink eyed Polecat image for me (without the the Prince, as I do not believe in royalty) so that I may paste his image back upon the wall of the Officer's mess again?
I shall sneak the ferret into many of my modifications that some will download. No one will notice unless they taxi up to to Officer's Mess. This way, JayDee shall continue to be a pleasant surprise, as I am sure he was to you.

If you wish, I can put JayDee upon one (small) airfield strucure rooftop. In this case, his image should be elongated as a ferret's body truly is. This shall be for your very own personal use. Or mayhaps for others such as I, that have learned to love the white coated critter.

#1716859 - 05/22/04 09:41 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued)  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps,

To elaborate: The duel between Achilles and Hector is the best I have seen since Stewart Granger (Scaramouche) sorted out Mel Ferrer (Marquis Something or Other) in the film Scaramouche.

In the latter epic, any candles were bound to be sliced through, that cord holding the chandelier would definately go and any old suit of armour that lay around was certainly destined to get kicked down the stairs.

Do you recall the opening scene in Shane with a vehicle travelling along in the distance? And it wasn't a stagecoach.

Manfred von Richtofen

#1716860 - 05/22/04 11:48 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued)  
SNAFU Offline
SNAFU  Offline

United States of America
All,

I say chaps, seems a lot of chatter going on in here. Is anyone fighting Jerry? ;\)

Great to see everyone gathered together. Seems almost like a small wake for JayDee, everyone stoping by to pay his respects. Very good indeed.

JR2, I saw Mr Scheen just this week. the cast and crew of West Wing were in the Frederick area filming scenes for the show. Frederick is just one half hour from Camp David and they were using other areas nearby as a substitute for the presidents retreat since Mr Bush was not willing to let them use the real thing. They were all over the place, fishing in the Potomac, climbing at South Mountain. (You know South Mountain,The one Mr Lee penetrated during his first invasion of the north.)The alocals have been beside themelves trying to get on the show as extras.

Funny how such a thing can turn a quite rural area upside down.

Troy sounds exciting, thanks for the recommend Old Dux.

TALLY HO!

TALLY HO!
#1716861 - 05/22/04 04:52 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued)  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Friend Stickman:

You did that? What a nice thing to do. I wish I'd taxied up and seen it. This is like finding "Easter Eggs" in commercial software.

How unbelievably generous and kind it is of you to offer to immortalize a little insignificant soul such as our ferret JayDee. I can think of no finer tribute than something created by your hand.

I will be happy to send you anything you like. And yes, I can easily remove the hapless looking "prince" from that sign. As the perceptive Dux once observed, he was a dead ringer for Mad Magazine's Alfred E. Newman anyway and as I think on it now that likeness was kinda out of place in the 18th century. He did have big ears though so perhaps there might have been some royal connection? Sorry Brits it was just a poor joke, I meant no disrespect to HRH or "Mad Magazine" . :rolleyes:

I'll send that "pub sign" asap sans name and "royalty". \:D

#1716862 - 05/22/04 05:06 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued)  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

My friend Dux:

Scaramouche was a fine film and Granger one of my earliest film heroes. Indeed the crossing of swords in that Technicolor adventure was very well done. With the exception of the less than apt casting of a poor, lost David Niven (another of my all-time favorites) as the heavy in that film all was very well done.

Having cast a shower of dispersions upon sword play in films I must however remember that the great actor Basil Rathbone (The Adventures of Robin Hood") was a consummate fencer in real life and more than a match for Mr. Flynn if he had only had control of the script. ;\)

"Shane" is a wonderful film that is at least for me the demarcation line between the old 40s and 50s westerns like Hopalong Cassidy, Roy Rogers and Gene Autry and the more realistic portrayals of the old west from that point until now. I had never even seen a muddy street in a western until I stretched my little hand up to the cashier and paid my ten cents to see "Shane". That is one of my all time favorite films that I can watch over and over.

I'm trying to recall the scene you mention.....

#1716863 - 05/22/04 06:28 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued)  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

My friend SNAFU:

Thanks to you we have assembled here quite a bunch of special guys. Not just forum acquaintances but distant yet caring friends really. Any kind words that have been typed here on my behalf or that of our recently missing squadron "mascot" JayDee are much appreciated by me and my entire family. JayDee is probably wagging his tail and smiling down on us as well.

I imagine that the filming of that popular show has caused about as much positive disruption of the daily lives of citizens in your area as the criminally insane snipers caused a negative disruption.

Speaking of filming. There is a major film colony down in the port city of Wilmington, NC. It is run by none other than the son of the great director Frank Capra.

For this reason and many others we have had our share of feature films shot in our rural area. Many a second unit has been detailed to visit us over the years. Every time I see the somewhat forgettable JFK assassination themed Michelle Pfiffer film "Love Field" I am startled all over again to notice that I recognize my home town filling in for the 1960's period town of the story.

When I watch the Kevin Costner film "Bull Durham" I am always delighted to see recognizable landmarks. The scene filmed in the old ball field at night was done nearby. Costner likes it around here and has returned several times just to visit the area on his way elsewhere. He'll pop into a local restaurant or store unexpectedly and you can imagine the excitement that causes.

A lot of HWH activity today to be sure but of the non-narrative variety. Perhaps this weekend I will find another muse to replace old JayDee? The living and mischievous JayDee inspired humorous portions of several BoB stories. Perhaps I will get lucky and be inspired by something else, a cat, a dog or even a squirrel perhaps? We'll see. It is far too hot at 90 degrees F. (32.2 C.)to do anything but sweat outside today. The lucky C51 is probably enjoying low humidity and temps of fifty degrees F. with a stiff sub-arctic breeze blowing down his rippling flight suit. Thank goodness for air conditioning. \:\)

#1716864 - 05/22/04 06:28 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued)  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Gentlemen,

JRT,

Yes indeed! Shane is certainly up there with my top 5 westerns and epitomises the early fifties films of that genre. \:\) Stupendous Wyoming scenery.

By the end of the film we were all seething that the consumate 'baddie' (Jack Wilson) so perfectly played by Jack Palance had still not received his cummuppance. But the longer we waited the better it was. Nowadays, they call it gratuitous violence. I call it human nature.

Hope to add it to my DVD collection eventually.

Manfred von Richtofen

#1716865 - 05/22/04 06:48 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued)  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Gentlemen,

JRT,

Further to our Phantom posts, here is a snap of an F4J I took at Valley about 19 years ago. It is an aircraft of 74 Squadron which had reformed the previous October at Wattisham. Note the 74 Sqdn. logo forward of the intake.
When landing, these aircraft seemed to have the characteristic of being dropped the last few feet instead of the expected flared landing! Did you ever notice this or was it peculiar to RAF pilot handling only? ;\)

This F4J type was a reworked job which incorporated some of the lessons learned in Vietnam. They looked great in the grey/blue finish.

Alas, they had to give them up eventually for Hawks at Valley. Rather like swapping your Porsche for a Cortina Estate...

Manfred von Richtofen

#1716866 - 05/22/04 08:57 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued)  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Dux:

I have "Shane" in the VHS version. The panoramic views of the mountains are indeed spectacular and the final frames of the shadowy rider and his mount trotting off into the sunset as the theme music swells are unforgettable.

It has quite a cast from Alan Ladd, Van Hefflin and Jack Pallance to the child actor Brandon DeWilde who played the kid who called out "Shane, Shane, come back!" at the picture's end.

DeWilde had a career cut short by his premature death. In addition to "Shane" his list of films includes the John Wayne film "In Harm's Way".

Lovely Phantom pic. Ours at Seymour Johnson were mostly fashionably draped in camouflage with lovely black roman noses. It is difficult to believe that such a high performance plane dates way back to 1958. Isn't the illustrious 74 Sqn. logo a tiger's face with the motto "I fear no man"? Hmmmm. Fear no man, eh? Could it be it is women who do scare the hell out of them then? ;\)

Here is something I found in my travels about the globe via the Internet. As it seems to be UK based it might be right up your street? Like the flight Lady "M" gave to C51 for his birthday, perhaps Lady "J" might be interested in this giftable idea for you or perhaps some other adventure listed on the page?

http://www.experiencesagency.com/printdb.asp

Here is an example from that page:

"Fly a Jet Price: £169

Have you ever wanted to fly? This voucher allows you to choose to become the Captain of a Boeing 737 or a Military fast-jet Pilot operating an F4 Phantom. 737 includes a briefing followed by one hour in the simulator with 20 minutes in control, taking off from Manchester and flying a full instrument procedure before landing back at Manchester, followed by a second landing made from 10 mile finals. The F4 Phantom includes a briefing followed by one hour in the Phantom Simulator Room with 20 minutes in control, taking off from a Military Base for some general handling before returning back to make a landing at base. This is followed by a second landing made from 10 mile finals."

Have fun and do share some post flight pics. \:\)

#1716867 - 05/23/04 12:26 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued)  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

SNAFU:

Guinness World Book of Arcane and Generally Esoteric Records update:

Fearless Founder I just noticed that we at 68 pages are just shy of being 300 posts from an amazing total of 3000. That just has to be some kind of record for a single thread. Of coarse if you add the 600 plus posts to HWH cont. from the original HWH thread that was blown into oblivion by the software gremlins we are already 300 posts over the 3K mark. Wow. \:\)

Even as things slow down for the vacation/holiday season it looks like we'll hit a combined total of 5K sometime late next year.

Salute everyone! Authors take a well deserved bow.

#1716868 - 05/23/04 03:18 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued)  
SNAFU Offline
SNAFU  Offline

United States of America
All,

JR2, I simply put the HWH colors on the door. You fellows have done the rest. I think it is quite reasonable to consider our squadron log to be well in excess of 3000 posts. There were more than 600 posts in the original as you point out. Amazing!

Duxie, that is a sweet Phantom. The aircraft is one of my favorite post WWII airplanes. Such an awesome machine it was. How widely was it used in the RAF?

I flew some very fun quick shot missions tonight. In one, a dogfight with RAF advantage, I downed three 109's. It was great. The first one I earned after a long twisting fight finally ending with a shot into the buggars left wing that took it clean off. the second victory came at a squadron mates expense. He and another Spit were working over a lone 109 when I came upon them from high and behind. I followed for several minutes and when the German dove away to avoid the 2 Spitfires directly to his rear I fired a deflection shot and blew him up. NICE! The third victory was a smoker that had just about had it when I got em. Put him into the channel just off shore.

It is an especially nice flight home after such an encounter.

TALLY HO!

TALLY HO!
#1716869 - 05/23/04 04:45 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued)  
stickman Offline
stickman  Offline

Waipahu, Oahu, Hawai'i
JRT..

A letter to the King of Koln,
from Hauptmann Guy (half breed, French Mama from Lorraine)
Hart (likely loyal, but has relatives living with the Anglos and Yanks!)

"Sir, I lost the old P+Polecat make as I mentioned.

Did a recon to find the Officer's Mess
(there are 2 meanings for "mess" in the English language! Though I am 27 years old, I still have a hard time with that Saxon lingo!)
Made a prepratory recon flight in anticipation to pasting JayDee's image onto the side of the Officer's Mess.

I found a target at the Kenley airfield.
We will reconnoiter to see where more of these "messes" are.
We suspect this is not an isolated structure that is localised to only the Kenley airfield, but may be a broader architectural weakness inherent throughout the entire empire. I fully suspect to find more of these stinking messes at other military installations!"

Later, after the occupation...

"Sir, it seems that after liberating this country it looks as if things have actually become worse than they were!
Our glorious Airforce has sunk the HMS Alfred Newman (or is it Neumann?) the HMS King Richard (lovingly cognomened by her crew as the "Tricky Dick") and the HMS King George II (which took several 1,000 kilogram bomb hits straight down into the boiler stacks, but still miraculously remained afloat until it floundered upon the Tarpeain Rocks!)"

Und...

"After our ground-pounder fellow men at arms had secured Kenley for my Staffel, and I landed therein, We find that some, shall I say, (Politically Correct) officers from the other arms of the force, have made... well... If I may so boldly speak of such national security concerns, actually a terrible mess!
Invading this Island was easy, but I dare say that occupying it for 20 years will end up with the death of all of our children!
Can you use your influence with the Berlin Manager to talk to him in the hopes that your acknowledged wisdom will perhaps make him see the light?"

EERRHHMMM! eehhhrrmm eeiing! zzzhhggg! eeeiing! chuka chuka bonUce bounce! sput..sput..sput..

"After we land at my new Kenley base I see that some ground hogs have made my previous recon photos out of date!
There is security everywhere, but they stand away from my windmilling props, except the drunks, and will not destroy the Berlin Manager's aircraft."

"We are thirsty after a long flight, so the first stop shall be the Officer's Mess.
Chop fuel, set brakes, and open the canopy.
HHHmmmmm? Not quite the same as I photo reconned it during the Battle!"

The door is always open here at the Officers Mess.
My rear gunner, Sean Kerry who was an Irish Republican terrorist before escaping from a Londonderry prison to Germany and safety (enlistment required)
asks me:
"Might I follow you into this establashment, Sir?"

He uses the binocoluars for a better look:

#1716870 - 05/23/04 06:40 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued)  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
stick man,

That's enough to delay any squadron scramble ;\)

SNAFU,

The RAF operated 16 squadrons of Phantom II's but I doubt if they would have been in service all at the same time.

The Fleet Air Arm also operated the type with 3 squadrons.

When Maggie Thatcher waved her handbag at Galtieri we all thought it would be a pushover - including me. But the Argies surprised us and we took heavy losses. We went there on a shoestring and it nearly didn't come off.

The Harrier's operations were crucial but this excellent aircraft couldn't do what the Phantom could. And why wasn't the Phantom there? Because the myopic cretin-ridden Labour government of the day had payed off the Ark Royal in 1978 and disbanded the squadrons' Phantoms which went to the RAF. Granted, they didn't know what was coming but had it been possible, had it been left to them, we would have ended up with a rowing boat and some daft bugger with an air rifle.

With a long range, supersonic, all-weather fighter operating between the Falklands and the Argentine mainland it is doubtful if a single Argie Etendard (or any other type) would have got anywhere near RN units.

It's the same old familiar story; political interference with military efficiency by defence budget adventurism. Followed by our chaps having to work miracles when dropped in the sh*t by the half-soaked politicos who run our lives.

Sorry - but it just winds me up.

This is a FAA Phantom of 892 Squadron which could/should have been there.

Manfred von Richtofen

Page 135 of 608 1 2 133 134 135 136 137 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.