Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 537 of 608 1 2 535 536 537 538 539 607 608
#4389826 - 11/15/17 03:19 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) **** [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

OOOPS! So happy and engrossed in writing to Fittop was I that I completely forgot to mention FireFox Quantum is now available to all and sundry.

As you know, I had switched from FF back to Chrome. Chrome is doing well for me, yet claims for "Quantum" caught my interest. We discussed previously what FF had warned about "legacy" add-ons and extensions going the merry way of the Do-Do. I worried about that.

So, yesterday when I read the news that "Quantum" was available to be installed, I loaded FF and installed it. I must report that FF "Quantum" is much faster now, comparable to the very latest Chrome which I also installed yesterday. There are new features and a new look for FF. I favors Chrome now in ways that can't be accidental. As warned, this and other new features comes at a price. I lost, not all, but several favorite add-ons that I will miss.

Most of those I lost are still available in Chrome one way or another. Others may be ported or replaced to the new FF by developers. Yes, LeRoy, perhaps one reason FF is faster now is the fact I have so many fewer add-ons running. Speaking of add-ons, one reason I liked FF was there were so many add-ons available. The big reasons were that FF is open source, so customizable, and I liked their lofty promises regarding privacy and other practices. I wanted to support their effort. I did that up to the point where FF slowed to a crawl and took minutes to open. OK, LeRoy stop smirking. That MIGHT have had something to do with the add-ons I require for happy surfing.

The gist of it is that FF "Quantum" is more like Chrome, faster than ever and has a tiny offering of add-ons available compared to older versions. That may soon improve. It will have to IMHO. At least for me it will. I am staying with Chrome for now though I would like to support the business ethic of FF developers I will take a wait and see attitude for now.

If you don't like Google or Chrome for some reason, can't stand IE, your need for add-ons is small, and you would rather dive with your mouth open into a vat of pig excrement than use Edge, then do try FF "Quantum". I think you'll like it.

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4389829 - 11/15/17 03:51 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Gentlefolks:

Maybe I was too impatient. With a cup of strong coffee I stopped by here and saw the blinking flag. Of course had to check it out to see who I had insulted.

Agree, most folks think you need a bouquet of roses for variety, perhaps forgetting that one rose is made of many petals that can provide all the spice they seek.
Finding the right rose can be hard.
That's not forgetting there are all the other types of flowers from which to choose.

Lockheed Martin's Prepar3D with the Orbx' FTX scenery has provided me with hours of virtual flying joy and challenges.
Last night I had the room lights out and enjoyed some virtual night flying and today I hope to mimic the actual weather and find the runway at foggy minimums .

OK, no "booms", some specific scenic places were better in MS Flight Sim and I miss the fighters in the Acceleration addition, but it does have a few helicopters and a sailplane.

The studying to work the flying machines can be numbing depending on how deep you take it, but is it that much more than finding the hidden treasures or the right weapons to choose?
I don't know, guess it's whatever starts your engine.

There is even a calling for virtual airlines to provide diversity. Otherwise we have to provide the mission ourselves. For some that's the freeing of the spirit.
The consoles have been a success, but using the thumb controls feels like trying to pick my nose with gloves on.
I am beaten most every time.

Edit: Trying to clean up the post, I took too long and it's now out of place.
To salvage it, I wonder if the new Quantum from Firefox includes a download manager?

#4389877 - 11/15/17 09:09 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Fittop,
PM responded to. Our pal C51 is a MSFX purist and wants his flight experience to be authentic. His wife gave him a ride in in an open seater biplane for his birthday one year and he reports that he was allowed to take the stick for a bit and found it comfortable once he settled down and got his heart out of his throat. I've read other simers claim that after a couple K of stick time in a good flight sim when they took flying lessons the instructor was impressed by what they already knew. Maybe so.

There was a download manager add on for FF but it may not work with Quantum. You should check online to see. smile

Did you ever have B-17 on your computer? I had the original version. If so, what did you think of how the old guys did what you did but at prop speed? I once flew a B-29 mod in Strike Fighters. Iron bombs and incendiaries only, no nukes. I bombed a substitute for Japan because I had no modded map of Japan. Later, I flew a late model Japanese fighter against a B-29. Do not attack a B-29 from directly on their six. Those shells from the rear gunner come at you at an alarming rate. I had to walk home after learning that lesson.

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#4389896 - 11/16/17 12:21 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Jens:

If you haven't seen this, take a look. A Dane seems to have spoken English so much he has difficulty with remembering his mother tongue. biggrin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VUEBk

#4389952 - 11/16/17 02:13 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,
Yesterday started with beautiful weather and blue skies. Yours truly had a quick lunch and changed into biking clothes. By the time I was fully dressed to enjoy the beautiful if cold weather, it was overcast. I was not deterred because those who claim to be able to forecast the weather had promised a dry day. Dry as in no rain. I had not ridden far before the first drops of moisture fell. A but further on, and the conditions got wetter still. By the time I had finished my ride I was soaked with rain.

Today there was no doubt however; all rainy and grey.

Roger; That is hilarious and the clip isn't entirely untrue: We will go to great lengths to maintain the illusion of having a meaningful conversation even if we don't understand a word that is being said. This can often be encountered at the annual and upcoming Christmas luncheons where we eat herring, pork, paté, meatballs and other specialities while washing the lot down with many glasses of schnapps and beer, and we will intoxicate ourselves to the point where only phrases of gibberish are exchanged. As can be surmised form the short film, this situation is exploited by dairy producers who also use this ploy to further the export sales to countries where they don't understand a work of what we're saying. I would also like to thank you for your order of 1000 litres of milk and 3 tonnes of Danish cheese which is being dispatched to your address as I write! hahaha

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4389986 - 11/16/17 05:51 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

The sun is bright and almost summer warm at 11:30 AM. The temp is 58°F. with a drier 59% humidity prevailing. Nights will fall near freezing but days will be Indian summery for a few more days around here. I wish you had some of our current sunny weather MG.

My desk is in front of my bay of windows. The sunshine coming in (even through the curtain) has been so warm that I had to switch sides and put my laptop on the right side in front of the wall to keep it cooler. Turns out I like it better that way.

MG:
Bravo. You are like our postmen used to claim to be, but seem no longer are. "Neither rain nor storm or dark of night will stay us from our appointed rounds." Or in your particular case, "Will stay me from my pedaling around." smile

I m so glad that I posted that link if it brought a smile to your face as it did to mine. Apparently, the video was posted quite a long time ago. I thought you might have seen it already and hesitated to post the link.

Fittop, and fellow cat adoptee:

That darn Russian Blue cat of mine, the one who generously allows me to call her Zeena, (I cannot pronounce her real cat name) unexpectedly went into Estrus again after 3 wonderful weeks of quiet bliss. That was on Monday. She is dozing in a sunny square of sunlight on the carpet, right now. So you won't hear her yowling for a non-existent boyfriend at the moment. That is a good thing and why I am typing so soundlessly right now in case you were wondering. Please, no loud noises if you don't mind. If you respond to this post, please type quietly... no more capital letters than absolutely required, if you don't mind. wink

Zeena was in especially good voice last night... and I mean all night. I know a bit about opera and I could not identify the one she was singing. That is probably why I just finished off a whole carafe of coffee this morning. Otherwise, I fear my spelling might have suffered even more then usual on this post. Yawn....No, LeRoy I am not bored. My sentences never bore ME. I leave that entirely to those who have the misfortune of reading them. Why are you shaking your head up and down LeRoy? Are you actually agreeing with me? If so, you should remember who signs you paycheck LeRoy...

The coffee was new, previously unopened and well sealed. It is not especially expensive.Not like I used to have delivered every couple of weeks. Or when I used to grind my own beans. Well, they weren't beans I grew you see, they came from way south of here. They were, however, mine since I paid for them. Have you noticed coffee seldom tastes as good as it smells? I have. But that was truly delicious coffee I drank back then. Anyhow, and back to the point, the coffee I had today was just a premium super market blend of coffee. Yet, when I opened that aluminum sheet sealing the "freshness" in...WOW, did that ever smell good.

OK, coffee starts losing its oils and thus its flavor immediately after the cooking and grinding process. I don't know how long that coffee had been on a shelf somewhere even before it got to the market. So it might have lacked some aroma and flavor that you are used to at home or Starbucks. I have it on good authority from someone whom I trust who has been to Amsterdam and Copenhagen that they serve excellent coffee there. They might not be impressed by what I drank today......Yawn.

JRT's head suddenly droops. The sound of an electric razor or someone cutting wood with an electric chainsaw
wakes the dozing cat. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Meow. MEEEEOWW!

#4390012 - 11/16/17 08:01 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

OG:

Let's go huntin'. I can't see your last post displayed here for some reason but I did get it in my e-mail. That "Bump stock" has gotten some very bad press recently and there has been interest in banning it at least in SC and Nevada for obvious reasons. People were killing other people quite effectively before firearms were invented. If they were all banned I suspect killing people would continue one way or another. It is those people who would likely improperly use firearms who should be banned from getting one. Clearly, this is not being done very well.

For those readers who do not know what a "Bump Stock" is. A “bump stock” replaces a rifle’s standard stock, which is the part held against the shoulder. It frees the weapon to slide back and forth rapidly, harnessing the energy from the kickback shooters feel when the weapon fires.

The stock “bumps” back and forth between the shooter’s shoulder and trigger finger, causing the rifle to rapidly fire again and again. The shooter holds his or her trigger finger in place, while maintaining forward pressure on the barrel and backward pressure on the pistol grip while firing.

Did you read that my grandson got his first two deer on the same day recently? He has a new Remington .270 that his maternal grandpa gave him. The meat is being processed now. We'll have lotsa deer sausage and hamburger in the freezer very soon. The hit was a bit too far forward on one and that spoiled a bit of the meat but not much. The two shots resulted in an instant kill. From the size of the exit wound, I'd say the shot was around 150 feet using that caliber.

#4390165 - 11/17/17 04:51 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

The temp is 45°F. / 8°C with a humidity of 66%. Today is a cloudless, sunny day. I am enjoying the beginnings of a fall cold. Being sick even in winter is unusual for me so maybe I'm due for a few sniffles? I don't mingle with the great unwashed multitudes very much anymore, especially during the holiday since I discovered Amazon trusted my credit card.

I am about to start creating my Christmas card for this year. No, that was not a threat, LeRoy. Now that I have the 2017 version of Photoshop CC, I can at least try. I used to create quite a few elaborate and unique cards every year (they may still be seen in the archives). But this year, I think everyone will get the same e-mailed card with a different sentiment inside. Whether or not I will post a suitable HWH Christmas card as in the past has not been decided. Right you are LeRoy, I'm not sure any of them were actually suitable either. They usually featured Olga in one fashion or another. Not all of them but several. I believe the last one had Olga camouflaged and holding a sniper rifle. She was hidden in a in the HWH Christmas tree. The caption may have read "Waiting for Santa".

Fittop:

I was looking on the cloud at some photos I took at the last Seymour Johnson AFB open house yesterday. I realized I had not mentioned in any of our conversations that I had been inside a venerable B-52. That is no small plane. The restored and flyable Lanc I stood under in Canada was impressive too. I didn't get inside that, I just looked up into that huge, yawning bomb bay and imagined the bombs falling. One day I may be able to see a B-17 up close. As you would know, the Fort carried less bombs and more crew than the Lanc. B-17s had a lot of protective firepower. The brass actually thought, early on, that the Forts in their box formations could protect themselves from the Luftwaffe. Nope. Every time one B-17 went down, ten precious souls went down too.

Bad news for us ugly folk who hoped for living out our days with a nicer, sexier face. That fellow who claimed he had accomplished the first human head transplant seems to have been, how shall I put this politely, LYING. Cursory examination of the data indicates no real success at all unless you count switching heads with two cadavers. I'd rather keep this old face ravaged by time and too much fun that get a new head after it doesn't matter. They say two heads are better than one. Maybe so. Rugged as it is and well weathered too, one head is enough for me.

Hmmmm. If the unlikely event the doc perfects his technique maybe he could dig up Errol Flynn? Mr. Flynn doesn't need his head anymore, you see, and he sure had a lot of fun with it when alive. Wait, nope, he had completely worn it out by the time his name appeared in the Variety obits. So I'll keep mine after all. biggrin

#4390219 - 11/17/17 09:03 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Gentlefolks,

Firefox is not acting that friendly right now.
It's acting as it does every time it updates the browsers. Coupled with Windows 10 nasty habits of wanting to claim my motto of "Be reasonable, do it my way." It is creating havoc with my bad habit of having up to twenty tabs open.

Yes, it's laziness I know.
So I now join the crowd of not-so-Gentle-ticked-off folks at the updates- will- be-inserted-now intrusiveness that FF and MS take for granted we will be happy about.

How about Chrome? you ask.
Isn't that the outfit that right-or-wrong my son claims wants to know even the color of your hygienic paper?
Don't laugh.
I know of an American lady that tore off a couple of sheets off a roll in a French hotel and carried them back home to show a neighbor that : "See, Mabel, I told you there's pink TP!"

Yes, we can't do without them if we want the benefits of using a "computer".
Though the lady of the house had not just said, but acted on staying mostly off the darn computer- or as it might be called: (Dis)organizer and Keeper of photos, songs, records and occasionally calculator.

Maybe I will join her.
Especially after talking to a banking outfit yesterday, updating some data and then receiving alerts of more changes than I had actually made.
Of course that required another call, entering codes again on a phone and...yep, more hassle.
Or as we like to think of it, Progress.
Grrr.

What does this have to do with flying? Well, we need the Hellish machine to stimulate and simulate that vocation, and let's face it, they are improving the simulation.
Thank you modders, you do help improve my quality of life.

#4390223 - 11/17/17 09:40 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Folks,

Hope that MG had dried off by now with no ill effects from riding wet.
There may be a shot left of Irish Whiskey left to help JRT stop his cold from getting worse. At least he will feel better.
Gee, spoke too soon. Just took half of that shot to make me feel better about this *&#$** computer stuff.
Still got some good Canadian Whiskey though.

Guess I got carried away and forgot to congratulate the young man on his first deer.
The only time I went deer hunting in upstate New York and saw my first target, he was above me with sunlight behind making him look splendid. I was too slow raising that shotgun and he looked too pretty to kill. Did not see another one that day.
We just noisily kicked leaves after a few hours, used the slugs to destroy my red hunting hat and stopped worrying about how to carry the kill out of the woods and back to the city.
That .270 sounds like a nice weapon.

#4390243 - 11/18/17 12:39 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Thanks for the offer of medicinal aid. The only thing with alcohol in it that has passed my lips today has been Listerine mouthwash. I've been alternating gargling with that and a saline solution. It has helped with the throat however I am having difficulty staggering. That would not be a problem with several other beverages. A nice toddy made from a Canadian blend would hit the spot right now.

Thank you for your congratulations. I will pass them on. We are still trying to get that big, self satisfied grin off his face. Now he thinks he will get at least 2 bucks every time he climbs into a stand. His half-brother will soon explain the facts of hunting life to him.

Chrome and Google desperately want to know everything there is to know about everyone. The privacy built into Chrome is there for everyone BUT Google. They want to have exclusive rights to our lives. No doubt there are hidden work arounds built into Google products that only Google knows about. Information is possibly the legal tender of the future.

Thank you for your good wishes. I wish for you and all who visit here a wonderful, safe and delicious Turkey Day. I recently put a bottle of good booze on the table and left it there. No one got drunk. I laid a loaded pistol on the table and left that there. No one got shot. Soon I will put a large spoon and fork on that table on Thanksgiving Day and leave that there to see if anyone gets fat.... Don't you dare point your bony finger at me LeRoy. biggrin

#4390294 - 11/18/17 09:35 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Fittop; Thank you for thinking of me. Knock on wood, fingers and toes crossed etc but so far I'm good, while people I know fall to the flu and other ailments, I soldier on, probably because viruses and bacteria flee when realising what they are trying to take on when encountering this biking Viking.

Firefox, Chrome, I've abandoned them both in favour of Opera which is apparently more secure than most other browsers, and after a period of getting used to it, I'm finding it invaluable. I really like it.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4390330 - 11/18/17 03:31 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,
Delightfully sunny day today. At 9:30 AM, the temp 46°F./7.7 C., the humidity currently is 73%.

In news from the Cold War
I hope that you stay well my friends. Apparently something unpleasant is making the rounds here and a considerate member of the family picked it up and courteously shared it with me. I'm considerably better today after a low grade fever last night. There will be some misery still to come. I'll be coughing my bronchus clear for a while. Fear not, I am careful to cover my big mouth and turn away from the computer.

Bad news for us retirees. Most or many of us will not benefit from the COLA this year. After struggling all year to do it, the CMS proudly stated they have managed, once again, to juggle the Medicare rules so we will pay more and possibly receive less money in 2018. I cannot tell you how thrilled I am to be doing my bit fighting inflation, especially for those high income Medicare recipients who couldn't care less if there is no increase. Why doesn't someone reveal to the CMS and the administration that we vote and vote often in every election? Why, down south it is rumored that some of us continue to vote long after we are dead. Maybe there is some reason they don't care about that?

LeRoy, that was an uncharitable and uninformed remark, especially coming from a Brit unfamiliar in our ways. Of course our votes continue to count in presidential elections, not just the votes cast in the Electoral College. Why ever would you even think a thing like that? biggrin

#4390334 - 11/18/17 04:19 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

I completely forgot that Argentina has misplaced one of their submarines and the 44 souls on board. I was not aware Argentina HAD subs. Thanks to the Falklands War, I knew they had jets and a navy. I just don't get down that far south very much. We pray for the sailors safe return. The sub has been missing 3 days without calling home. If they'v "gone quiet" for some reason it is about time to report in. I am not clear on whether the missing boat is nuclear.

An artistic Navy pilot is in deep do-do for doing some very unofficial skywriting. Who knew an FA-18 could even do that? Apparently, the young officer was either seeking a liaison with a well-endowed sailor or he was outrageously bragging about his own manhood. I'm guessing the latter. He drew a huge penis in the sky. The brass were not amused, at least not for long. Something like this has been investigated before. Can't you imagine 'Maverick' and 'Goose' in 'hack' for doing something like that at Miramar or over Fleet Exercises? BTW. What has happened to "Top Gun II"? Last I heard it was a "go".

There is never any excuse for this behavior. A teacher was arrested, but not yet convicted, for awaiting a student in a dark, candle lit room apparently with love on her mind. Her mug shot is amusing. She has a wide-eyed, startled look on her face. It looks to me as if she has just found a sub in her bathtub, seen a giant penis in the sky or been goosed by a Popsicle.

#4390369 - 11/18/17 09:55 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gentlemenses, sorry I have been so bad in making my appearance here. Been busy. Flew to three separate fly-ins in the last month. Today I took one of my wife’s coworkers and her two boys up for their first ever flight. They were quite nervous at first, but once we were in the air for 5 minutes all three of them changed from fear to wonderment. It was pleasing listening to them chatter to each other pointing out things they recognized on the ground. I flew them out to the coast so they could see the beaches they go to and the coastline. Then flew them to where they lived. They got so excited when they could see and recognize their house. It is very rewarding to me when I can give people an adventure and exposure to something they’ve never done before. Sharing my passion for flight hoping that someone else will start on that path.

JRT, just like taking your grandson hunting. Something he will always remember about grandpa. A rite of passage into manhood. Hunting teaches so many important lessons. Many behaviors, habits and skills that are valuable in other endeavors. Sounds like he is happy to walk that trail. Good, very good. 270 is a very capable cartridge for hunting in North America with the exception of Grizzly and moose. Did he help in field dresssing ? I have seen more than one young boy who was happy about making the kill lose the joy when it came to that. Did you make a group bonding over cleaning the guns ? It teaches the boys that the job isn’t done until the equipment is clean and correct. Doing it as a social thing with the old hands changes it from a chore to another fun part of the event. Good skill and habit.

I wish I could have been there. But I wouldn’t have shot. Somewhere along the way I have lost my joy. I just lost my desire to kill a while back. Now I’m a paper hole puncher.

The bump stocks are just another gimmick to try and have something near to real automatics. Very limited use as well. Requires a stationary position with an unnatural firing stance and hold. You can’t do it while moving. But, he was able to establish the right conditions that the gimmick was effective. May he rot in hell.

You are right that killing isn’t anything new. Good poem about the subject:

http://www.blueridgejournal.com/poems/pmg-conquerors.htm

Well, that is it for now. I’ll have to involve myself with some of the other posters since I do not wish to slight them.

Later.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4390463 - 11/19/17 05:07 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

At 11 AM we have a temp of 54°F and a humidity of 60%. Nary a cloud darkens our sky allowing today to be a true Sunday in every way.

It seems there may have been 7 mysterious attempts at communications possibly from Argentina's missing sub. The US Navy is steaming into the area hoping to help.

This lyric from a well-known hymn comes to my crowded mind:

"Eternal Father strong to save Whose arm has bound the restless wave
Who bids the mighty ocean deep
It's own appointed limits keep
O hear us when we cry to Thee
For those in Peril on the sea."

News From The Cold War

I am coughing my widdle head off but feel better today. Tomorrow, I will have this thing licked.

OG:

We missed you, welcome back. If I had the choice of flying or posting here, I'm afraid I'd go flying. I think we all would. Those I've seen just after their first flight including myself (in a reflection) look like they just returned from a visit to Paradise. Their smiling face has happiness written all over it. Yet in their eyes, if you look closely, is a hint of sadness too. They are sad that their visit was over. Happiness most enjoyed is happiness shared. You izz a good feller. They will never forget their first flight or the pilot. I never will.

We have always eaten what we killed. The herds must be culled or nature will do it with starvation and disease. I too suddenly lost all interest in blood sports several years back. All my hunting firearms are long gone now. My hunting duds are washed and reverently folded by my dear late wife. I was with my grandson in spirit while remembering my own first deer hunt. His other grandpa had the honor of being with him as my son could not be there either due to his job. Despite my decision not to kill anymore I admit that I felt a bit deprived and experienced some pangs of envy. When I saw his proud, smiling face all that just melted away.

Yes, his face got ceremonially blooded and he did the cleaning of both the carcasses and his rifle. He has had a course in gun safety and both my son and I always have stressed, from his first B-B gun to the .270 that by keeping his gun clean and in perfect working order it will safer and never let him down.

Thanks for the link. I like that poem. Her way of elaborating on how man's ability to kill one another has escalated over the centuries. One battle-winning weapon and then another invented until now we can be proud of our ability to extinguish lives has reached its apex with the atomic era. I remember J. Robert Oppenheimer's quote from the Bhagavad-Gita which you'll know is a 700-verse Hindu scripture, written in Sanskrit, that centers on a dialogue between a great warrior prince called Arjuna and his charioteer Lord Krishna, an incarnation of Vishnu. Quote: 'Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds'.

#4390590 - 11/20/17 05:53 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

It is nearly noon. The temp here is 49°F. and the humidity a dry 47%. It is another cloudless fall day in Dixie.

My former daughter-in-law has finally managed a flight back to the continental US from San Juan. She reports there has been good work done there but so very much is still needed. They lost water again today she was told when she checked in with her comrades who are still there. She was there 3 weeks. Very primitive living conditions, dangers from mosquito transmitted and water born diseases remain a threat. Many people who possibly were trapped by falling buildings are still missing and presumed dead. Electricity is problematic and they have had to make accommodations in their medical treatments for that. A hospital ship is there but stays full she said.

She praised the hard work done by EMS, Paramedics, PAs, and doctors under such primitive conditions. Other agencies are also doing their bit well in support. Folks from all over have volunteered but some were not prepared mentally for what they found on arrival. The filth and heat required some difficult adjustment at first but soon the professionalism of the groups took over and they did their jobs. There were long hikes up hills and even mountains to get help to isolated people. They had to ford streams and rivers where bridges were out. I saw some photos of that.

She was touched by the way families cared for each other. In some cases family members took an individual home from the hospital where they could get better more individualized care. She could not have been more positive about her feelings for the people she met and observed. She said that after the recovery she would like to go back just to study the culture down there. She is planning a San Juan Thanksgiving this year in respect for the people. After they became a territory and commonwealth of the US, the people adopted many of our customs such as celebrating Thanksgiving. Of course they made some very local changes but the meal usually includes Turkey.

I do not read much about what is going on in Puerto Rico or Texas for that matter in the news these days. The conditions have improved
but remain atrocious by our standards or any you may apply. Can you believe it has been like this since September? The job isn't finished in either locality, probably not in Florida either. Florida, and Houston do have some infrastructure left. Puerto Rico has nothing standing. It looks somewhat like bombed out cities did in WW2. I was told Huston is still suffering and that there are still medical volunteers and others there. Some are not getting home this Thanksgiving maybe not for Christmas.

I will remember their sacrifice and the tribulations still endured by so many when I pick up my turkey leg Thursday. They are a great bunch of dedicated individuals and IMHO we should pause to honor their sacrifice. I shamefully remember complaining about the two days we went without electricity after the last hurricane. Yes, my dying wife needed oxygen provided by the electric machine in our bedroom. I got oxygen in tanks to replace that. Yes, most of our food spoiled but I kept enough cold with ice in a big cooler and bought more afterward. How much we take for granted and how little we know about what it really is like to have to do without our comforts much less our necessities.

More and more powerful storms are predicted. Some coming in tandem like the three that hit Puerto Rico may overwhelm us. As our world changes into whatever the future brings the human race better settle its differences pronto and learn to get along or we may will all experience what little Puerto Rico is enduring right now this minute.

Thank God for people who are willing to give up their comforts of home and endure pure misery to help others who are hurting. Our resources are finite and here they are already stretched. Who will help if this assault by nature or the stupidity of man himself brings even more broad devastation to our world in the future? Will we grow closer together like the people of Puerto Rico have or will it be every man or woman for himself?

OK, OK this has nothing to do with BoB, aviation or anything we usually post about. It was heavy on me widdle mind. I did not mean to rant. I apologies to Uze Guiez. That was terrible wasn't it? A southern guy trying to type a NY accent you know just had to fail. biggrin

#4390765 - 11/21/17 05:39 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Partly sunny today around here. The temp at 10:40 AM is 52°F./11° C. Leaves continue to fall, not rain.

I've finished my coffee and shrugged off the morning chill. So far this fall I've kept my thermostat on 66°F. Yes, I've told you before I don't mind reasonable cool. Canadians would call that temp summer weather, I bet. Perhaps I was an Igloo dweller in another life?

For those who are calendar-challenged, Turkey Day is coming fast. The kitchen is already alerted to this and I understand many deviled eggs are being prepared today. Now, friends, I do like some occasional heat. Last night, homemade chili was enjoyed by all. My 2 bowls were piping hot and almost just as spicy. I thought of our pal Fittop as the heat steamed up my glasses and my first spoon-full warmed my innards. He came to mind because his being in Texas, I suspect he has eaten his share of good chili. The chili was made with freshly made venison-burger btw.

Say it ain't so Charlie.

I am shocked. I am stunned to read about allegations made against fellow North Carolinian and favorite son Charlie Rose. He has denied hing. I never see him on the morning show on CBS. I have long enjoyed his work on 60 Minutes and especially his nightly programs on PBS. All that seems to be gone now. Though he has apologized and claims he always thought contacts with those 8 women were consensual, he faces disgrace and perhaps worse for his career, the loss of trust that is vital for any news broadcast. Such activity is not and should not be tolerated.

I have previously always admired the man for his work and was unaware of unsavory activity in his personal life. I can still admire the work but not the personal life as it pertains to his actions toward these 8 accusers. Charlie grew up in the south, not too far from here, in fact. I know he was taught better at home, as was I. He did not deny anything in his recently released statement.

"A Face In The Crowd" starring Andy Griffith and the Dusty Rhodes character comes to mind. You know what they say about "absolute power". Something sometimes seems to happen when a good old country boy becomes famous and as powerful as Charlie definitely was. Even a well brought up country boy can lose his moral compass as the character Dusty did in the movie. I hope this has brought Charlie back into the fold and he can one day return to TV with his popular talk show. He could actually be a powerful force in denouncing the very things he is accused of doing.

It is that time of the year, with Thanksgiving Day at hand and Christmas coming fast that I tend to remember things that made my career in the mall business more exciting than usual. Like the time one of the malls hired a Santa that unfortunately hick-upped far more than he Ho-Hoed. Imagine having to fire Santa. Especially one already out of work who had 4 small children. Imagine a mall hiring a gay Spiderman character to pose for photos with little kids. Fortunately he was a great Spiderman and what was called back then a righteous dude. He told us later he was gay or we would never have known it. Frankly, though I suffered some heart-burn due to it all, I had no problem with his personal orientation but others higher in the food chain did due to possible liabilities. We could never hire him to be with kids again.

en there was the time between the two holidays we had a Photography show in a mall. Though t photographer had been waned not to, one of the photography displays which was set up right in front of one of the anchor stores featured some Boudoir pix that, shall we say, were IMHO, "questionably family oriented " photos that I had to have removed before any damage was done.

As "Boudoir" photos were this fellow's specialty and as he had paid extra for the privilege of being in a high traffic area, you can imagine there was some heated dialog between myself, the local mall manager and the photographer. Then peace was quickly restored when I ordered the photographer's money refunded and sent security to escort him from the premise. Result: He so wisely took the photos down and replaced them.

I have told this story before and it always brings a knot in my throat because I witnessed it myself. It was the day after Thanksgiving. That's right, Black Friday, the most profitable retail day of the year. The gorgeous, pristine holiday decor had been put up over night, "Muzak" had switched to holiday music as instructed, and the star of the holiday display, Santa had arrived by helicopter and was now ensconced in his little snow covered house.

Sometime earlier, doors were unlocked and swung open right on time and the crowd had swarmed inside before nary a store had even opened. There had been a big parade led by Santa all around the common area ending at Santa's snowy residence. Santa had taken to his golden throne and his eleven photographer had readied her big Polaroid portrait camera, cash register and lovely photo frames. Everyone was welcome to sit on Santa's lap whether they got a photo or not. Most did want a photo and they were reasonably priced. Some adults sat on Santa's knee as a lark or to coax their little kiddie to do the same.

The line was long and everyone was in a good, festive mood. The stores opened but the line only got longer. It takes a surprisingly healthy an physically robust fellow to tackle successfully the job of a mall Santa. He must have several other important traits as well. I knew all that was needed and this fellow had what it took. Yet I had no idea this particular Santa had one very special skill that would come in so very handy on that particular day. It still thrills me to think about it 40 years later.

I left for a bit to see how the stores were fairing. When I returned to the Santa set the line was just as long but moving smoothly. The perception of constant or at least continued movement is essential to keep the crowd of adults standing in line with little children happy. I looked in on Santa who had not yet begun to wilt in his hot beard and beautifully furry Santa suit. I watched him closely. He was the perfect "Santa". Each child, young or older, black, white brown or yellow (some were dressed as elves, in green) was given as much time as the long line allowed even if they did not have a photo taken.

The Elf was experienced and she maintained the movement of her line as she took money from one parent after another,made a photo, timed it, removed the chemically treated photo, placed it in its festive, card-like frame and handed it to the adult. At such busy times it takes skill to keep those in line happy and do the job. There is a lot more juggling to do than patrons realize. That must be invisible, for it isn't seen as work, everyone is just having a good time.

I was satisfied. A wink from Santa told me he was satisfied. A big smile from the Elf let me know she was happy and that Santa was keeping the proper rhythm. I was smiling and certainly pleased. It suddenly occurred to me I was also hungry. I was just about to go for a bacon, egg and cheese biscuit when, like Rudolph and his pals landed on a roof, everything kinda ground to a screeching halt.

TO BE CONTINUED

#4390784 - 11/21/17 07:19 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Gentle Folks:

I use the Gentlefolks term in the chance that there may be at least one lady perusing these pages. But I've mentioned that before.
Having worked and played with a few of them I have all the due respect for them in not only how well way they did the job, whatever that may be, but on their approach to it and life in general.
Have I seen some coasting through? Yes, if not as much as I have seen males use similar charm and assets and connections.

But I'm deviating around thunder-bumpers again.
Hope those colds are getting better.
Though it may not be celebrated elsewhere, the T-Day celebration in the US calls for get-togethers in which among other things, contagious viruses in buses, trains and airplanes are also shared.

In the news, the results of hurricanes has not totally been forgotten. Port Aransas and other areas south of Houston, as well as Houston itself finally made it back on the news.
Most areas in Houston are on their way back, I hear some Florida communities are rapidly recuperating, while the Florida Keys and Puerto Rico are still groggily on their knees from a double hurricane blow.
See if you can find current photos of the western areas to see how bad it is still.

Between the lack of clean water, little to no electricity, survival is a major problem. Getting the help is essential.
No. The problems are not all self-made.

JRT''s former daughter-in-law is right.
The people in the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico are very nice. Even with years in New York City I had no desire to visit the Caribbean, despite the stories of beautiful areas.
When I finally went there to see some friends, I decided to take a trip to the hilly side.
We were warned that it was easy to get lost, but seeking local help would be no problem and that they would probably insist on showing us the way back.

That's exactly what happened.

I can only imagine right now, that that same spirit of community self-help, that pride is what's helping those good folks stay alive. That applies to Puerto Rico as well as Port Aransas.
But they will still need outside help.

Need to do some checking on that; and then I am going to keep checking on the updates for JRT's story Christmas Mall story.
Meanwhile,
To those of you traveling this week: A safe and Happy Thanksgiving.
To those of you doing the fixings and providing the hospitality,: May your guests be at least as fun and good as you hoped.
To those working so that all the above can happen: May the good folks make you feel it was worth the effort you are making. And Thank You.

#4390810 - 11/21/17 08:44 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Nothing much to report. Whether inside or outside, it doesn't make any difference; I get wet. With that in mind, Sunday I preferred the pool inside to the raging elements outside, seeing as the pool also has a nice and pleasant sauna. Indications are that after the dreadful and abysmal summer which was more like fall, fall was equally bad and some folks hint at the winter being colder and with more "winter" in it that than we've had in last many years. All in all, it could well be 19 or 20 years since the weather was equally uninviting. Still, mustn't complain too much because lots have it far worse.

Today we have had local elections to communal and regional offices and on the national and regional TV channels that is all they talk about. I guess we should also count ourselves lucky that the biggest issues seem to be a general feeling that the elected spend a bit too freely of our money on city halls, furniture and paying themselves wages that are unreasonably high while leaving very little in their wake of memorable political decisions. Still, mustn't complain, we've no Mugabe.

Now, everyone is entitled to a piece of my mind and what they do with it is their own business and of course it is never, ever OK to use any kind of coercion or superior position to force anyone to do something which is against that person's own free will. I will point out however, that such coercion and use of superior position, sadly, is an everyday occurrence. Not only in the cases exemplified by Weinstein, Rose and others where men have allegedly abused their power over females to try to obtain certain services, but also in a more general, non-gender specific way: The CEO of Zentropa, the Danish film-producer reportedly routinely humiliated staff of both sexes when he deemed they had done something wrong. He'd slap a bottom, demand a haircut for himself done by the offender, and other such nonsense.

How many courses can you mention, where management wanted to tell you that you could walk on fire, bungee jump, kill a rabbit or just the plain old balloon game?

The balloon game, you ask? I think I've reported it before but if so, it was many moons ago. Line a group of people up in a single line. Everyone holds a balloon in his hand. The person at one end is the CEO and the person at the extreme other end is the newly hired bellboy. The CEO addresses the person next to him/her and asks for a cup of coffee, using the balloon to get that persons attention. The next person in the line turns and passes the request for coffee for the CEO down the line using the same method. What happens in this case is that the request for coffee very quickly becomes more and more aggressive and accompanied by more and more violent and more and more frequent "beatings with the balloon. In this case, when the "request" came to me, I broke the chain, returned the balloon beating to the person who had just passed the coffee request to me and in a mean voice said; "Don't-you-beat-me-over-the-head-with-that-ballon, ever!" Sadly, the purpose of the exercise was never explained, the instructor urged me to continue but I was so mad I flatly refused to partake in further proceedings.

I myself have witnessed how bad managers have terrorised staff, again non-gender specific, one complaining about no one having brought coffee to a meeting (not just a one off occurrence either) and halting proceedings entirely before someone broke down and hurried back to the kitchen to brew some coffee, or CEO's plainly behaving like arses with ears, again terrorising staff.

I think it is primarily a question of asserting power and dominance over other people and if it happens to be male-female, the sex thing is used as a tool. My question is, why don't people respond with; "Hey Mr. That is a no-go and if you ever do that again I'll report your sorry backside to your bosses, the media, and kick you where it hurts the most - And if I get the slightest hint of you taking work away from me because of this, I'll darn well report you too!"

And for the guy wanting someone to go make him some coffee; I'd either have told him to bring is own coffee as I was having tea, or I'd have made the coffee undrinkable on purpose.

Bullies do need telling off.

Last edited by McGonigle; 11/21/17 08:56 PM. Reason: Adding something I forgot on first edit

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
Page 537 of 608 1 2 535 536 537 538 539 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.