Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 508 of 608 1 2 506 507 508 509 510 607 608
#4357165 - 05/13/17 02:31 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) **** [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

There is a chill in the spring air here today under the overcast. The temp is just 54°F. with a 10 mph wind coming out of the NW. Still a 10 mile visibility is reported with 100% humidity and a drizzling rain that comes and goes. The max temp today is expected to be 67°F. I plan to stay in today.

MG:

I stumbled on the perfect database for my needs. It is a freeware called Monobase. I liked it a lot right up until I noticed when trying to make my first table that my screen is not large enough for my mouse to reach the control buttons at the very bottom of the table window. The window is not resizable and it will not scroll. A poor design and a flaw making Monobase useless for me on this notebook.

I have been searching for a program that can make that screen scroll or move it up and I found two. One called Altmove really looked promising. It is supposed to make your 2 or 3 buttoned mouse into a 5 button mouse and alow you to move such recalcitrant windows such as the one I am dealing with in any direction. So far I cannot get it to work for me. The other program seems a bit dodgy to me and I have not tried it yet. I'm still looking. There is an old Windows trick I remember and I tried that with very little to show for it. You hold down the alt key and the space bar at the same time to open the system menu, There you can click on"MOVE" or "SIZE" and I tried that. Barely moved the window and that occupied the moues soI could not move it down and click anything. Frustrating. Still searching, never give up.

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4357217 - 05/13/17 07:54 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Looks like we are finally getting some warmer weather for a spell. 17 C today even if that wind which is almost always blowing was almost as strong as yesterday. Tomorrow might get even slightly warmer.

I saw a few screenshots of Monobase Roger and it does look like MS Access or Libre Base, so a standard DB app, just a shame they couldn't get the resizing right.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4357225 - 05/13/17 08:53 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,
MG:

You deserve a break from the Norse cold those Siberian winds. Stay warm.

I am now looking for something that will allow me to resize the window. I might just try a different res. There was a program that would let me load programs at different res. I'll also look for that. That is pretty much all that sizer does. have that loaded and am trying to figure out what res the window needs to be changed to.

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#4357250 - 05/14/17 01:04 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

MG:
I am Deeeelighted to inform you that after a long search and trying quite a few programs that did not work, I found and ran a tiny script that works like a charm. I can move that window up, down and sideways if I need to and it does not spring back. I can now use the database prog. and input the data. The name of the little script is AltWindowDrag and I found it on the "How To Geek" website.

The weather improved after noon and so, after I had succeeded in my quest, I took a long walk between 7 and 8 PM. Buoyed up by my success, I enjoyed it enormously. Exercise is a good thing for all ages. The kids and i played cards after supper tonight. As usual, they beat the heck out of me. When will I learn? smile

I will be busy tomorrow filling the database with data.

#4357311 - 05/14/17 04:22 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

We record 71°F. at noon headed to the low 80s today. There is a 9 mph wind out of the SW and a redundant 10 miles visibility reported. A good day for walking or biking, almost anything but ice skating or skiing.

It took a long time searching and the download of a .DLL file from Microsoft to get and run my favorite pixel to inch utility. It is an old program titled Pix Calc. It can convert pixels to inches or centimeters and the other way 'round taking into account the DPI (resolution). If you don't know what DPI means or why you need to do this conversion then y6ou probably don't need it. I found a program that can bypass the Windows protection every time you run a program so you don't get that annoying box asking you if you want the program to run.

Now it is lunch time and I promised to make the kids banana sandwiches from their grandmother's recipe. Right, this is dangerous ground I'm on here. No way even something so simple is going to taste like something my late wife prepared. Especially since all I have is whole wheat bread. With 4 ingredients to work with there is a lot of pressure on each ingredient and on the "chef". If I fail it may be a long time before you hear from me. Pure shame will require that I hide my face until it is no longer red.

#4357330 - 05/14/17 07:02 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Roger,

I didn't think that such a util as the AltWindowDrag existed. Now, this talk about databases have got me wondering if I can construct a database holding different makes of razorblades in one table, and the number of shaves I get per each razorblade. It may sound simple, but the rub is that when I dispose of one blade and start using a new one from the same make, how do I handle that?

Temps are rising in the small Kingdom and although some showers are forecast here and there, it is always impossible to locate where is Here, and where is There? Everyone was out on their bikes today. I nearly got an ache in my neck for being polite to them all performing the customary nod of greeting. And even with plenty of daily food intake, pedalling away 3000 kcal over three days leaves me famished. Those banana sandwiches sound delish, send some of them over here, will you? Or if at all possible, please reveal the secret ingredients so I can make some myself.

Last edited by McGonigle; 05/14/17 07:05 PM. Reason: Sbelling misdakes correkted

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4357359 - 05/14/17 09:00 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Jens:

The database is working well so far. I have entered data. The problem is really in figuring out the table in the first place so that it can do the job. There are program unforced restrictions that need to be accommodated. After several hilarious trials I finally got it sorted.

As for you data, IMHO a good spreadsheet would be a better format. You could enter data or even easily do "What ifs". You can produce graphs and pie charts etc. I'd try the spreadsheet in Libre Office first since you have it. My question is how do you rate a shave? What criteria do you use and how do you quantify it? It seems a subjective kind of test. Of course if it is only for your curiosity that does not matter. One could create the same kind of cumulative data spreadsheet for bike tires, underwear, beer, ball point pens or auto air fresheners. smile

I'd be interested in your results. Eve those of us with full beards shave far more than yo might think. I use Barbersol shaving cream and 91% alcohol for aftershave lotion. I do like the fragrance of Bay Rum and Old Spice lotions (My dad used Old Spice). My razors of choice are the 'use several times and throw-away' type. i have a nice rechargeable clipper with several accessories to keep my beard trimmed neatly. My son is more modern and uses all the newest shaving options including shaving gels and expensive razors. How many blades are the new razors up to now, 4,5,10? Seems to me a single blade that lasts a long time would be best. But what do know? I've only been shaving 60 years.

#4357414 - 05/15/17 10:53 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Roger;

You are right, there is no need to complicate matters more than necessary. Creating a database to record the number of uses I get from my blades is easily accomplished in a spreadsheet, or in Google Keep, which is basically just the electronic equivalent of a post-it sticker note.

I use the old fashioned single, double edge blades for use in a double edge, safety razor as invented by King Gillette and the Gillette company, and promoted heavily through the Great War, where it was especially important with a clean shaven face so that the gas-mask would fit the solider properly.

What makes a great shave? I think that the DE safety razor and a good soap or cream is vastly superior to plastic handles and 3 and 5 bladed horrors and bluish gel from a can. "Modern" shaving paraphernalia is the capitalist market gone bonkers because you are brainwashed into forgetting the perfectly good older types of razors that actually solved the problem of shaving much better than today's extremely expensive solutions. An economist might say that this is to the shareholders' satisfaction but economists are experts at putting on blindfolds and focusing on bottom-line numbers. They do not care about polluting the environment with a lot of unnecessary plastic.

Anyway, a good, fresh blade in my favourite Fatip Grande razor, will deliver a smooth and close shave with two passes, and a touch up to make it bbs. So far I've tried Personna Blue blades which returned 15 shaves and Voshkod at a no. 2 in ranking so far with 14 shaves. With a fresh blade one can cut oneself, I rarely do, but the blades quickly settle in and it is only if I cut myself with a used blade that I think about exchanging it with a fresh one. At that time, I am usually needing three passes and a touch up in order to get a bbs and I can audibly hear and physically feel the blade on my skin. Alum block and some balm. then a bit of aftershave, perhaps Old Spice. The Whitewater version so far seems superior to the "Original" or "Classic" which according to many users have been changed to such an extent by P&G that they are no longer original or classic Shulton.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4357439 - 05/15/17 01:19 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Years ago, I neglected to shave for an extended period of time. To say that I grew a beard would perhaps be taking it a bit too far, but I certainly came to learn, as you pointed out Roger, that having a beard in no way eases the task of shaving. It takes immaculately grooming, trimming and cutting to keep a beard presentable. After a few years with beard I decided it would be easier and quicker to just be clean shaven, and after making do with blue gel and cartridge razors with their unbelievably expensive cartridges for a time I finally switched to double edge razors some 18 months ago. De razor blades are very inexpensive and if you keep to one razor only it is a great saving. Soaps are long lasting and not terribly expensive if you just get the refills instead of the full monty versions with a wooden or ceramic bowl for the soap. A good brush will only set you back for the price of a pack of multi-bladed cartridges.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4357474 - 05/15/17 03:45 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

The air temp is 71° at 11 Am this more than fine Monday morning in the month of May. We have a brilliant sun shining on us with a 10 mile visibility reported. There is a 6 MPH wind from the NE this morning. The humidity is a very pleasant 47%. There is however a nasty rumor that by Wednesday we will watch in awe as the digital mercury climbs up to 93°F. or beyond. Temps in the 90s this early in May could indicate a very hot and sultry summer steaming toward us. Denmark weather is fast becoming attractive to me.

I had no way of knowing for sure, so I was thinking you might have been being a bit facetious regarding that shaving database but I could not be sure. The database I am building probably seems more than a bit anal to all but myself. In truth, it is no more than a "make work" proposition. I am not satisfied with the true "...Opiate of the People" TV. I have to keep my mind occupied on something however , some mental or physical challenge or I'll be bored and miserable. I finally gave up on struggling to find the secret to world peace after our last election. So I had to occupy my fertile and inquisitive mind with some problem to take its place. wink

I once had several beautiful straight razors left to me by my paternal grandfather. I had 3 safety razors of various qualities at one time. All the safety razors used the Gillette type double edged blades. One of the razors had a nice knurled adjustment feature around the upper neck of the handle that gave a satisfying 'click' when you turned it. This adjusted the height and angle of the blade. Pa, my grandfather was called, used shaving soap in his barbershop and at home. I still have his shaving mug and brush with its ivory handle. You can still buy round shaving soap in a few drugstores in the area. Before long that will be another "thing of the past". I have never 'lathered up' with brush and soap myself. I've always used an aerosol.

One of my relatives fancied himself an inventor. He had the idea of combining a brush with an aerosol shaving cream. He asked me to draw up the plans so he could get patent for the design. I got out my T-Square and Repedio-graph pens and completed the drawings in two days (I was still in high school). Unfortunately, instead of going for the patent (which costs money to obtain) he sent my drawings off to a famous name shaving cream manufacturer to see if they were interested in the design. After some time he received a form letter reject5ing his invention and my drawing was included with that. A year later that company came out with a product suspiciously similar to my design. My relative had nothing but the form letter as evidence and no money to hire an attorney. Valuable lesson learned.

#4357676 - 05/16/17 03:50 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Just shy of the 11:00 AM hour, our air temp is a warm 73°F. There is a 6 mph wind from the SE and visibility is reported as 12 miles. The humidity is higher today at 63%. We'll surely see the mid 80s F. today with a very good chance of feeling some heat tomorrow as the ambient heat is predicted to rise into the low 90s F.

A red V Star biplane and a white Aviat Pitts biplane collided while both airplanes were landing on the same runway at the airport in Tullahoma, Tennessee. The first production Mooney M20V Acclaim Ultra took flight recently in Kerrville, Texas. I remember the first Mooney I ever saw. I thought there was something wrong with the tail the way it leaned toward the cockpit. wink

The computer notes database is growing daily as I add more and more from my extensive collection of pieces of information. This is a medium long term project. however when it is done I will be able to search those notes easily when the need arises. It always seemed that when I needed a particular piece of info that I knew I had made an entry for (everything at random in thick notebooks) I started at page one and turned page after page until , nearing the end of the last notebook, I found it. Kinda like troubleshooting a faulty TV or radio checking each part or module until you come at last to the fuses and find one burnt out. No more. In addition to the future usefulness this causes me to read each piece of data again and I have already benefited from that exercise.

MG:

Each day brings us closer to the 101st running of the Indy 500 at the famous Indianapolis Brickyard. Many folk today, if they even know of Eddie Rickenbacker, our top ace in WWI, probably do not know that he was a famous race car driver before that war. I do not know haw many "Gs" those old cars took around those curves but whatever made Eddie a star on the track certainly must have helped him in the air. He survived that terrible meat grinder to become a very successful businessman.

Happy biking my friend. I've started taking long walks in the evening once more. It isn't as convenient as it was when we had a large park behind our house but it is pleasant enough. We live a pastoral life in the country. Big houses, large, expansive green yards and loads of trees. I am not a "Tree huger" by trade but I do love trees. I feel a reverence standing, looking up in a grove of old growth trees I do not often feel in church.

It is just turning noon now and my lunch has just come to mind. I had thought it was the cat growling. But no, it was I. My Raisin Bran has departed leaving a vacuum in its place. I'm sure you know how nature hates a vacuum. Being part of nature myself, I do as well. So I am headed downstairs to hunt down the elusive chicken sandwich or chop of pork that often hides in the chill air of the refrigerator. Or perhaps, should they somehow evade me, I may simply make a steaming bowl of tasty and nutritious homemade onion soup. I wonder how many poor students studying in Paris survived on that soup, a cheap bottle of wine and a fresh baguette of bread?

#4357720 - 05/16/17 08:15 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Roger; I think you are right on the money occupying your mind with various tasks and challenges such as building databases. I'm not much good at building anything - database, bikes, you name, I can't build them very well. But keeping active I hope will be good for both my body and my mind.

That adjustable razor your dad had, they are very sought after now and would fetch a handsome fee on eBay from collectors depending on model and year it was made. The most collectible are the ones called "Fatboy", the "Slim". The nicknames should be self explanatory.

Rickenbacker owned the Speedway at one point after the Great War and had it restored to such an extent that races could again be run in the Brickyard. He then sold it on, and I think it was on that occasion that the Hullman family came into ownership. Did you know that Rickenbacker survived a plane crash and being lost at sea? Obviously he wasn't completely lost because they found him after a while drifting in a dinghy. That could be a song title that; "Drifting in a Dinghy".

Trees are wonderful and I read somewhere that if humanity replaced a certain amount of the forrest that has been cut down in connection with using the area for agriculture, or for the production of various items in wood, some 30% of the CO2 in the atmosphere would be removed and converted into oxygen. There's a quick and environmentally sound fix for reducing CO2 levels if ever I saw one. I wonder why, everyone in this country thinks it is better to talk about electric cars that use acid in their batteries and recharge from a grid using coal for fuel. And a thought that has come into my head recently; if everyone thinks electric cars are entirely clean, and as a consequence they use their electric cars more than they would, if the cars were more traditionally fuelled, would the net effect perhaps be greater pollution, at least in the near term future?

''

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4357722 - 05/16/17 08:53 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

MG:

I hadn't a clue that those razors, so common when I was growing up, were even collectables. The "Red Spot" straight razor that was my grandad's I thought might be valuable. The brush he used to whisk off the trimmings from the customer's clothes had bristles as long as your hand. I am not sure what the bristles in the brush were made of but they were as blond as your hair when I got the brush. Both his shaving brush and his whisking brush had handles made made of ivory. Sadly, I no longer have the safety razors.

Yes, I knew of Rickenbacker being lost at sea. I think there was a movie made of that adventure in 1945 by 20th Century Fox. The movie was called "Captain Eddie".His military base in southeast Ohio is named after him. Yes, he sold the speedway to Tony Hulman in 1947. He became president and chief stockholder of Eastern Airlines. Did you know he was awarded the Medal of Honor, our nation's highest military decoration? He has been inducted into Motorsports Hall of Fame as well. Here is one of his most famous quotes:

" You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity.", Eddie Rikenbacker.

#4357873 - 05/17/17 04:18 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

It's gonna be a hot time in the old town this afternoon if not tonight. At five minutes to noon we have 83°F.. As the operator says in the beginning of every "Are you being served" episode, "Going up". WE are headed into the high 80s or low 90s F. range today as expected. Fortunately for those of us not already planted in the warm soil,of Dixie, the humidity is a low, low 44%. I can deal with the heat. In fact, I have just come inside. The sun is blinding and it is quite warm but I did not feel as though I were wearing a wet blanket and drowning with every breath as may be the case this summer. Nowhere on this earth other than perhaps Penelope Cruz's bedroom is perfect. There is a 9 mph wind coming out of the SW with 12 miles of visibility reported. A fine, summer-like day indeed.

MG:

It seems that cars will soon be fitted out with Android. The fact that there are driverless cars now that are being tested and perfected causes me to ponder. And today when I ponder I wonder what it may mean for autosports in the future. Drivers are still being killed and maimed though the sport is much less lethal today than just a few years ago. The cars are reaching the pinnacle of what a human endurance can withstand physically. Fans want more speed and less restrictions on the cars. There seems to be a natural projection looming.

What will it be like for Monaco, Charlotte or the Brickyard when the race cars are driverless and rounding the circuits on one wheel at 500 or 1000 MPH? Will we continue to be as interested when no one's life is on the line? It has always been speculated upon that the reason so many seats are filled by fans butts is that some are hoping for a spectacular crash. It is the nature of the human animal. Caesars depended upon it and used that to their advantage. Others still do.

#4357917 - 05/17/17 08:39 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Finally it looks like we get a spell of decent and warmer weather. Today started rainy but during the afternoon it got warmer and temps reached 22 C and that was with a hazy sun. Tomorrow and Friday are going to be great for bicycling and to free up my schedule I took care of some gardening work today. The fair weather is supposed to last until Thursday in next week and that suits me fine as I am off on a mini vacation from Mon-Thur next week to bike up and down some of Denmark's finest and most hilly terrain.´I won't promise to snap pics while I'm climbing the minor mountains though!

Roger; That idea you told us about with the shaving gel can connected to a shaving brush that got stolen by the big corporation,- well, it's back, this time as a kick-starter project. I've got to be honest with you. I hope it fails miserably. I can't see the redeeming qualities or benefits of such a product. If others disagree it is their right to do so.

Android and Apple are indeed built into many cars today, mostly to enhance multimedia, navigation and communications. some of it is very nice; like being able to connect your phone to the car so you can take and make calls hands-free, and play music from your USB stick, in fact currently I'm listening to "The Silver Fox", Mr. Charlie Rich, in my car, and there's also touch screen navigation to help me reaching my destination. No more paper maps to bring and read directions from. But the price for updating the in-car navigation is pretty steep methinks.

Indeed, driverless autoracing is touted as the next big thing but I have absolutely zero interest as in Zero Kelvin, in watching robot wars on wheels, the big part of motor racing that makes it interesting to watch is drivers; a very current example is how Fred Alonso's participation in the Indy 500 is a top story in the motor racing news and the buzz it generates.. When frequenting various motor racing forums I get the impression that I am not alone in that assessment. Perhaps the Millennials don't care for cars and then they won't care about auto racing either. But old gear-heads like me need our gladiators carrying on in spite of adversity, risk and yes, even occasionally death. It means something if your are willing to risk your health and life. Yes, that is part of the human nature and killed racing heroes assume the status of demi-gods. It says a lot about a person, who his or her dead racing hero is.

I also can't watch Formula E which is battery driven vehicles. I won't even use the term car. Exhaust fumes are intoxicating, a drug for the tribe of the combustion engine.

I believe that absolute speed is secondary. What I, and many others want to watch, is racing drivers visibly being on the limit of adhesion wíth their cars. A well executed drift at 100 mph is far more exiting to watch than a flat-out, glued to the track rocketship at 300 mph. I think it was Dan Gurney who said that the day they invented aero with add-on wings, and later ground effect, he knew that the whole business was heading for a decline.

Last edited by McGonigle; 05/17/17 08:40 PM.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4357936 - 05/17/17 10:22 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Jens:

71°F. you say? that seems pretty hot for icy Scandinavia. People must be dropping like flies from sun stroke all over Denmark. It is 88°F. here at 5:45 PM. The humidity is still low however, I very nice day here too. I hope you enjoy your mini vacation and return safe and rejuvenated. Keep in touch if oyu can and try to take a few photos of the fun.

The brush on a can seemed more of a novelty to me at the time but I was just a kid, what did I know? Besides I was enjoying creating the technical drawings.

As for those electric engines, I'd rather go back in the days of those big, mean and loud Offenhauser cars at Indy. Our readers may not be aware that the Offy or Offenhauser Racing Engine is a racing engine design that dominated American open wheel racing for more than 50 years and is still popular among vintage sprint and midget car racers. That thing started out as a marine engine I think. If I remember correctly people used to come to the races just to hear the distinctive sound of those engines go 'round the track. Andy Granatelli mentioned that in his autobiography. Granatelli was inducted in the National Sprint Car Hall of Fame in 2011 and the National Midget Auto Racing Hall of Fame in 2013.

I always loved maps. Soon there will be no more paper maps to be bought at stores petrol stations all over the world... Oh no. I spent my life savings ($6.25) in 1962 taking a master course in Orienteering, Land route navigation and Automotive map folding. My late wife could fold a map like a dry cleaner folds a shirt. Too bad she could not actually read one. She had a very poor sense of direction on the ground or in the air. On Water or on dry land. She got us so lost in the mountains one night that we ended up desperately needing a restroom and the closest I could figure it we were at least an hour from the nearest one. The map came in very handy in an unorthodox way for that emergency as well. biggrin

#4358058 - 05/18/17 03:30 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

It is a toasty 75°F. at our place at 10:45 this Thursday morning. It is partly sunny. Earlier it was overcast but now there are a lot of blue patches appearing. There is an 11 mph wind blowing from the SW and visibility is reported to be 10 miles. The humidity has risen to a sultry 82%. A high of 89°F. is expected today.

I am usually a "Half Full" kinda guy, live and let live and all that. I am however beginning to lose patience with those *bastids * that sit about on their asses all day long fiddling with malicious code in hopes of making some unknown citizen miserable or force them to jump through more and more anti malware or anti viral hoops seeking temporary protection. If these code thugs didn't make so much money for some perhaps more of them would be hunted down. There was a forgettable movie I saw once that had Hitler in hell. Every day for eternity he presented himself to the devil and dropped his pants. He then bent over. At that point the devil thrust a very large pineapple up Hitler's ass. Ouch! That would not even come close IMHO to the punishment those malevolent hackers that give hackers a bad name deserve. I note that G-hacks is recommending that everyone using Chrome make certain changes in its settings asap due to a new found vulnerability and threat. I tire of this as I am sure everyone does.

Forgive the rant. I'd like to see the lot hunted down and squashed like the bugs they put in their code. In truth, having lost so many that were near and dear to me, I would rather the money went to eradicate Cancer first.

As the diminutive in statue and certainly not in talent, Micky Rooney, once said, "Life is short." We should not dwell too long on such temporary inconveniences. Be we fifteen or 90 we haven't the time for it. Waste not your today for you are never guaranteed another tomorrow. I know we were not put here to curse the darkness but rather to light a candle. We are here IMHO to try to help our fellow men we find wallowing in the ever growing bog of hatred avarice and crime to climb out of it and not simply condemn them for descending into it. Easy to say my friends, but sometimes very hard to do. smile

#4358149 - 05/19/17 03:10 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Folks, JRT:
Your last four sentences speak volumes.
I'm not sure if ceremonies or religious services would be better attended or deserted benches be more evident if preachers or politicians or charlatans could or would express themselves as well. But then the events would probably disappoint some who spend many a minute or hour getting ready for "visiting" or being seen. Or as I remember doing, oogling and dreaming.

Meanwhile, I'll let go of thoughts of novel dispensation of justice for hackers and follow your advice. Sometimes one just needs to be reminded of Purpose.

The Indy 500 may be old fashioned to some but is still fascinating. I have never seen the race in person. Been to the track, watched qualifying rounds, and drunk in the smells and sounds of the crowd.
It's an advantage to have a partner in your ear, a wingman if you will, your "control" or aid depending how you feel about him or her is as indispensable on the track as a GCA controller in a dark night or handler when you are seeking a target. But somehow, now you are part of a system.
I outgrew NASCAR, but there is still a charm in listening to the Indy 500. I can do it live, and I can avoid looking at the statistics and listening to Handler.

#4358249 - 05/19/17 03:04 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,
At 10:30 AM the temp is 78°F. The humidity is a damp 66% and visibility is reported to be 10 miles. The sun has his hat on at a jaunty angle today. We'll enjoy the high 80s with blue skies and, at the moment, an 11 mph wind coming out of the SW.

Fittop:
My uncle Ray lived right across the road from the Petty compound in Randleman, NC many years ago. As a kid I would visit my cousins in the summer. Back then you could just walk right in and say "Howdy" to the soon to be legendary neighbors. I know this because one of my cousins (the one who became a FAC pilot in Vietnam) and I just strolled over there and met them. Meeting Richard Petty that day was the pinnacle of my own limited NASCAR experience. I am smack dab in the center of the NASCAR world and I have never been to a race.

I have always been far more interested in open wheel and endurance racing. Sadly, I have never been to the Brickyard but I have flown over it. What a treat it was when Garner's movie "Grand Prix" came out in 1966 then McQueen'sdocu-movie "Le Mans" in 1971 hit the big screen. That film depicted racing in the 70's in the world's toughest endurance race. Both actors were exceptional drivers and proved it in both these movies. WE could not get such races on our TVs back then. There was no Cable or satellite TV available to my knowledge in my hometown.

No one should care what I think, my friend, the more I learn the more I realize there is a vast expanse of knowledge and human experience that I do not have the time left to begin to know. As my opinions are based upon what little I have learned in 72 years, they must, by that definition, highly questionable. Ditto perhaps for all those political pontificates crowding the TV channels these days and others. My late wife used to say (all too regularly) that if Roger knew just half of what he thinks he knows he would be about half way to realizing how little he knows. When I was in high school, my mom once told me I had a head packed full of "book sense" but not nearly enough "common" sense. They were both right. wink

#4358318 - 05/19/17 09:27 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

The more I learn the less I know. That has been a basic truth to me for a good many years now. As kids we know there is a lot to learn. At some stage as young adults we tend to think we know it all. As we mature we realize that we don't know much about anything.

Finally we have hit a day with proper summer weather; 26 glorious degrees C, no wind and only high think clouds. he grass was cut, the shopping done, then a ride on the bike to enjoy the lush green colours on display in nature this time of the year, and finally a few hours of relaxing in the garden.

The past four evenings, I have casually followed on my LED TV the practice for the Indy 500 as all sessions have been streamed by Indycar on YouTube. Again I remember back to when I was a wee lad and only had one stated owned TV channel to watch, on an old fashioned CRT screen, black and white and of course very rarely any motor racing being shown at all.. I do remember that Le Mans 1972 was partially shown back then, as was the Monaco Grand Prix. I remember ´72 and ´73. 1973 was the year we got our first colour TV. And that was just about it in terms of offerings. The TV repairman in those days was a frequent visitor as sets had to be readjusted and sometime even repaired on the spot; some faulty component being replaced. I remember the heat and the smell coming of the TV sets in those days. Some things have really moved forward.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
Page 508 of 608 1 2 506 507 508 509 510 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.