Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#1712164 - 09/01/05 10:41 AM Laserlok Protection ???  
pceltuk Offline
pceltuk  Offline

Searching my Bob 2 GMX CD today with ("hidden folders"- off) I noticed a folder (hidden) called "Laserlok" which is a copy-protection utility.
Bearing in mind all the appalling CDTs and low fps many of us are getting from the GMX UK version I am wondering whether this utility applied to the GMX version might in any way be responsible for all these very strange and puzzling faults---presumably not occurring on the pre-release versions (pre Laserlok) the testers had.
I am no computer expert but would invite any more knowledgable members or GMX themselves to comment on this please.
Many thanks

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#1712165 - 09/01/05 04:19 PM Re: Laserlok Protection ???  
Cas141 Offline
Cas141  Offline

Northern hemisphere
A very good point which I would hope will elicit a reply from GMX and Shockwave.
And if I were a betting man..... I mean, how can a beta seem satisfactory to users and then the final sold version be such a problem.?

Mankind's problem is not failing to know the difference between right and wrong; - It is failing to know the difference between different and wrong
#1712166 - 09/01/05 05:09 PM Re: Laserlok Protection ???  
MadBadVlad Offline
MadBadVlad  Offline

Wales, UK
Quite a few people now have had copy protection errors or simply cannot run the game in their DVD drives, which can be a symptom of incompatability with the copy protection utility. Errors with Starforce are well known, we know less about Laserlock.

GMX really should comment on the issue, but I guess they will wait for feedback from Shockwave now that GMX have been asked to supply distributed copies to them for checking.

#1712167 - 09/01/05 05:54 PM Re: Laserlok Protection ???  
mutt13y Offline
mutt13y  Offline

Melton Mowbray
The thing i'm curious about is if its possible that the wrong version was sent for mastering process. In all honesty the copy protection on this software is a new form of Laser Lock i believe called Laserlock marathon. Weird thing is this, you can start the campaign engine using the old BDG exe file, so the copyprotection isn;t doing the job that GMX originally intended, and the plain old fact is all it requires is some guy with some experience in debugging to compare the old exe with the new one, and that would nullify the copy protection. In essence GMX spent a substantial amount on something that is bypassable to an extent from a wholly legitimate source..OK the graphics in the old exe are shocking in comparison to using the new exe...Graphical glitches abound BUT it will run!!

I would rather be a Man of Value than a Man of Success.

Carpe Diem, Carpe Jugulum
#1712168 - 09/01/05 06:51 PM Re: Laserlok Protection ???  
3ra_Luke Offline
3ra_Luke  Offline

Alicante , Spain
Laserlock Marathon can be easily defeated...using the correct tools.

My settings:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
2133 MHz (8 x 267)
Geforce 8800GTX
4Gb DDR2 RAM
Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum
CH Fighterstick+Pro Throttle
TrackIR 4
#1712169 - 09/01/05 07:24 PM Re: Laserlok Protection ???  
MadBadVlad Offline
MadBadVlad  Offline

Wales, UK
I fully expect a NoCD crack to appear within the next few weeks, they usually do. Most copy protection systems can be cracked by skilled hackers these days. Having said that, after reading up on this utility, it will be a tough nut for someone to crack as it is pretty close to Starforce 3 in nature. Here's some info. on Laserlock Marathon..........

Laserlock offers protection against bit-to-bit copying programs, using a patented signature on the CD and enhanced anti-debugging and encryption techniques, which resembles a similar technology from the Russian Star force company.

According to the company, laserlock marathon, consists of the following features:

1. Sophisticated Code Encryption software.

2. Physical Signature on CD, made during a unique and special glass-mastering process.

3. State-of-the-Art Debug Prevention software engineering embedded in the software code.

Also, the new version of LaserLock offers protection that is non-generic as each protection package is characterised by a unique locking parameter that is specified during the LaserLocking procedure and provides complete protection against illegal re-mastering and reproduction.

Laserlock recommends the locking process be carried out at their company's labs, where they "inject" the laserlock system in the main executable file, producing a new protected executable file that contains the original and the laserlock system. The Laserlock system occupies an extra 20 MB for CDs and 35 MB for DVDs. This method is recommended by MLS and does not require any additional programming from the customer. Nowadays, MLS lacerlock cooperates with many of the CD-ROM manufacturing companies globally, like Sonopress, MPO, Saturn, Media Solutions e.t.c.

#1712170 - 09/01/05 08:38 PM Re: Laserlok Protection ???  
mutt13y Offline
mutt13y  Offline

Melton Mowbray
Madbadvlad,
Seriously i don;t think this laserlock is offering any protection whatsoever.

**Admin edit: Please! I don't want anyone giving specific instructions on how to defeat copyright protection. No more of this, or I'll lock the thread and start suspending people.

The general discussion will be allowed, not the specific "how to".
--20mm

That was it straight into campaign mode. Ok graphical glitches galore in the cockpit, but nothing someone with some experience couldn;t deal with.

#1712171 - 09/01/05 09:41 PM Re: Laserlok Protection ???  
MadBadVlad Offline
MadBadVlad  Offline

Wales, UK
Mutt - thats OK if you want to play a screwed up version of the old game, but personally I want to play the latest version without crashes and FPS issues. I do take your point about the ease with which the .exe can be replaced to use the surviving old code though - very odd!

#1712172 - 09/02/05 02:35 PM Re: Laserlok Protection ???  
mutt13y Offline
mutt13y  Offline

Melton Mowbray
Sorry 20MM,
I wasn't thinking when i made the above post. I just don;t understand GMX spending god knows how much on a software protection, that in all honesty, has failed them at the first hurdle. I agree with Madbad in relation to the graphical glitches and yes it is unplayable in the simulation. But someone sure made one hell of a cock up! if a complete novice like myself can bypass it in oh 5mins.

#1712173 - 09/02/05 02:45 PM Re: Laserlok Protection ???  
choxaway Offline
choxaway  Offline

Plymouth UK
I'm not going to ask how you got around the protection but can you tell us if the game now runs properly having done so?
In other words, if you've bypassed this protection and it does run properly, surely that is the simple answer to all of the problems we're experiencing and the developers don't need to keep faffing around trying to resolve them.

#1712174 - 09/02/05 03:44 PM Re: Laserlok Protection ???  
BatHead Offline
BatHead  Offline

Halifax, Canada
I read the product features on the LaserLock web site and it raises some questions. They say their code is "injected" into the executable, and as a result of this process the exe file is encrypted.

Does this mean the exe file is decrypted every time the program is run, or worse yet, are sections of it decrypted in real time as the program is running? I imagine this could cause a serious performance hit, and stability issues.

This is all very troubling.

#1712175 - 09/02/05 03:52 PM Re: Laserlok Protection ???  
BatHead Offline
BatHead  Offline

Halifax, Canada
Laserlock has an extensive faq at their web site, but none of the questions (that I could find) discuss the products impact on performance.

#1712176 - 09/02/05 04:07 PM Re: Laserlok Protection ???  
mutt13y Offline
mutt13y  Offline

Melton Mowbray
Chox, as i stated all that happens is the campaign starts....trust me graphically its abysmal use the bob2 exe.....The way i got by is not the way you paid to see it...Trust me stick with the normal exe..I only did it to test an idea i'd had since i bought the game. Idea in theory was right, but not worth the end result

#1712177 - 09/02/05 04:15 PM Re: Laserlok Protection ???  
choxaway Offline
choxaway  Offline

Plymouth UK

#1712178 - 09/02/05 07:24 PM Re: Laserlok Protection ???  
Osram Offline
Hotshot
Osram  Offline
Hotshot

Bielefeld, Germany
I doubt that most of the issues are connected to Laserlock. However, those people that get an error message from laserlock about a missing CD obviously either have a porked CD or Laserlock does not like their drive \:\( .

mutt13y, FWIW, We use a version control system for both the source code and the major artwork stuff (mainly planes and cockpits).

#1712179 - 09/02/05 07:40 PM Re: Laserlok Protection ???  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

If Shockwave doesn't see the need for copy protection in the US, why has GMX inflicted it upon users in the UK?

#1712180 - 09/02/05 08:37 PM Re: Laserlok Protection ???  
RAGNAR Offline
RAGNAR  Offline

Glendale Az
Quote:
Originally posted by Lamarck:
If Shockwave doesn't see the need for copy protection in the US, why has GMX inflicted it upon users in the UK?
For the same reason you did'nt get a maual,A smaller map and dismal unreadable keycard.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Their terrified of somebody making /selling knockoff's which might if it happened would impact their bottom line.

#1712181 - 09/02/05 10:02 PM Re: Laserlok Protection ???  
k5054 Offline
k5054  Offline

Oxford, England
Quote:

I doubt that most of the issues are connected to Laserlock. However, those people that get an error message from laserlock about a missing CD obviously either have a porked CD or Laserlock does not like their drive \:\( .
Negative. I installed from E: and ran it for a couple of days from that drive (DVD-ROM) before I started getting the copy protect message. The CD is still good, can use it for install or explore it OK. If it didn't like the drive it should have said so before the first time it ran.
If I use the D: drive, CD-RW, it runs OK. Laserlok is not doing what it's supposed to. GMX have been less than helpful.

CTDs? Seem to be more frequent now, although I never see the english text message. The dumps look like they happen in all sorts of different code areas, although I haven't looked at every stack entry to see if there is a common factor.

OTOH, I found myself (in the game) flying west of Winchester so I went NNW and sure enough found Middle Wallop, where I was stationed in the 70s. There was the familiar hangar layout and the biggest grass airfield in the UK. There was hangar 4 where I worked, and knew Fred the storeman who was there in 1940 when a Ju88 blew the heavy steel hangar doors off onto the airmen who were closing them. Fred saw the legendary hand sticking out from under the door. You don't get that stuff in IL2. I'm going to stick with this game a little longer, even if I can't shoot anything down, or even see planes below me most of the time.....

#1712182 - 09/06/05 04:41 PM Re: Laserlok Protection ???  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

K5054

heheh I was based at good ol wallop aswel, but only in the 90's \:D

We had a public air display one time, star of the show for us was a lone spit which came over the airfield at stupidly low altitude after the public left, a moment to remember for the rest of my life for sure \:D

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.