Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#1648649 - 06/29/06 10:15 PM Hangi time (NZ event in London) - non56k friendly  
mailman Offline
Hotshot
mailman  Offline
Hotshot

London
A group Im with held its annual hangi out at Clandon House (in Surrey) on Sunday the 25th of June.

Actually, on Saturday I met Lord Snowdon (or what ever his name was) and he told us to move our truck because it was blocking the road his servants use to get home \:D

I also want to take this opportunity to share part of my heritage with you all.

BUT I digress. Here are some photos of Ngati Ranana, a Maori culture group based here in London. Personally I think these images are some of my best work yet (they look absolutely cracking on my monitor...so they might come out a bit dark on yours, but hey \:\) ).

This is part of the welcoming ceremony, called the Powhiri. Its done to determine whether the people who are visiting come as friends or just want a good fight. In old times this was a very important ceremony where literally your life depended on how everyone felt on the day.

Ngati Ranana in front of Hinemihi. Hinemihi is one of the few (if not the only) Maori Wharenui outside of NZ. It holds a special place in our hearts as it reminds us not only of home but also of our ancestors and whanau we have all left behind. Its story is quite moving, especially when soldiers from the NZ Pioneer Battalion in WWI, made up of Maori soldiers, found it, moved it to its current location and lovingly restored it.

One of the lads performing a Haka. Nothing gets the blood going like a good old Haka! In fact, a number of years ago while in Australia with the NZ Army we had just done a Haka for our Aussie brothers and at the end of it the atmosphere was so thick you could have cut it with a knife. Honestly, one wrong move by the Australians would have seen a full company (plus support platoon) wade in to them boots and all...BUT...just at the most critical point a lone Australian voice called out "we will kick off cobber". Everyone burst out in fits of laughter. Bah...I guess you had to be there \:D .

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#1648650 - 06/29/06 10:18 PM Re: Hangi time (NZ event in London) - non56k friendly  
mailman Offline
Hotshot
mailman  Offline
Hotshot

London

You know I really like this image, for some reason I get a real sense of power and confidence from Teri.

There is an absolute TON of work that goes in to making this day a success. Our tamariki (kids) had been practicing for months on their performance items (as we have a number of performances, of which the photos above are from only one of the groups that performed on the day), the whanau (our family) got together on the Saturday to prepare all the food for the hangi...honestly, peeling hundreds and hundreds of potatoes is not much fun! We also had to move all our gear out to Clandon House and get that ready AND then Sunday was a 5am start as we had to get down and get the Hangi going.

In case you dont know what a hangi is, check this link out; http://www.suzy.co.nz/SuzysWorld/Factpage.asp?FactSheet=269

Quite possibly the greatest tasting food in the world! \:D

Regards

Mailman

#1648651 - 06/30/06 08:29 AM Re: Hangi time (NZ event in London) - non56k friendly  
SGT_Rock Offline
SGT_Rock  Offline

Thats a very cool event...nice images. I want an invite for next year! \:D

"We herd sheep....we drive cattle...we LEAD people! Lead me...follow me...or get out of my way!" GEN George Patton
#1648652 - 06/30/06 08:43 AM Re: Hangi time (NZ event in London) - non56k friendly  
mailman Offline
Hotshot
mailman  Offline
Hotshot

London
Mate, give me your contact details and Ill make sure you get a ticket (cost is £10 but hey, what can you buy in London for a tenner that gives you an entire days entertainment AND FANTASTIC food to boot? \:D ).

Regards

Mailman

#1648653 - 06/30/06 12:46 PM Re: Hangi time (NZ event in London) - non56k friendly  
SGT_Rock Offline
SGT_Rock  Offline

rasputin_pbem "at" btinternet.com. Pass me the details and I'll be there. I am just down the road in Hove....stay tuned for Goodwood Festival of Speed and Shoreham Battle of Britian Air Show stuff \:D

"We herd sheep....we drive cattle...we LEAD people! Lead me...follow me...or get out of my way!" GEN George Patton

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.