Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1529370 - 01/02/03 10:10 PM Sidewinder problem.  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

For some reason after updating Admin 8.4, my sidewinders don't seem to track the targets once I fired them. They just wonder off straight ahead instead of attacking the targets I tell it to go after. Any suggestions? I'd love to get back into my dogfights but can't because of this problem.

My specs:

Windows 2000
AMD Athon 1600XP processor
256Mb DDR RAM
38.1 Gb HD
64Mb nVidia GeForce2 Ti

Thanks.

------------------
MFMO_Amraamski a.k.a. "Flanker 37"
MFMO Squad
In protecting of this world.

[This message has been edited by ATFS_Amraamski (edited 01-02-2003).]

#1529371 - 01/02/03 10:20 PM Re: Sidewinder problem.  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Go into the DME, into the weaponsexe tab. Open the sidewinders file, and see if the its still programmed to act like a sidewinder.
The AIM-9Ms tabs should be like this-
Name- AIM9M
Displayname- AIM-9M
Type- Homming weapon
Subtype- Heatmissile
side- western
DebriefcategoryPtr- AA Missile
NormalGraphicrep- AIm9M
Loadoutfilter- AA

#1529372 - 01/02/03 11:18 PM Re: Sidewinder problem.  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

OR
If my memory serves me.......
Or check your screen res. If it is maxed out they will not track.

------------------
Laketrout_195th
http://www.195thblacksheep.com

#1529373 - 01/02/03 11:45 PM Re: Sidewinder problem.  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've tried both of your advices men. It seems that my resolution is stuck at 1280x768x16 but I want to change it to 1024x768 but it won't let me. I have no drop down menus nor will the DME change it. Is there a way I can modify the settings??

------------------
MFMO Squad

#1529374 - 01/03/03 12:37 AM Re: Sidewinder problem.  
D-scythe Offline
D-scythe  Offline

Canada
No, there might be something wrong with your DME. Your supposed to open the file; there aren't any drop down menus. And it should let you save....

#1529375 - 01/03/03 12:39 AM Re: Sidewinder problem.  
Orion Offline
Orion  Offline

Everett, WA
try the *.ini file I think I saw something from an earlier post you can change the setting there

Orion

Luck is when Preparation meets an opportunity
#1529376 - 01/03/03 01:18 AM Re: Sidewinder problem.  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

If I were you, I'd take out your Admin.ini, and Resources folder then uninstall, then re install your USAF. Then put your old folders and Admin.ini back in your new USAF folder.

If that does not work, I'd wait until Admin 8.4 Advanced or Admin 9.2 is downloadable, and replace all your old files with the new Admin's files.

#1529377 - 01/03/03 01:22 AM Re: Sidewinder problem.  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Deathscythe:
No, there might be something wrong with your DME. Your supposed to open the file; there aren't any drop down menus. And it should let you save....

I do believe I have to admit you are wrong. When you want to change the display settings a drop down menu allows you to select a resolution setting of your choice. But because I'm running under Windows 2000, it is somewhat disabled.

------------------
MFMO Squad

#1529378 - 01/03/03 01:23 AM Re: Sidewinder problem.  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sidewinders do not work with screen resolutions above 600x800.

Its nothing to do with the DME or any ini file, its a hard code bug and its not fixable without the code.

If you wish to use this weapon type, you are limited to the above quoted screen res.

Sorry.

J

#1529379 - 01/03/03 02:17 AM Re: Sidewinder problem.  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Amrammiski,

if I could make Admin 8.4 Advances zip file size 100MBs smaller, could there be another way I can send it to you without using an ICQ?

#1529380 - 01/03/03 02:27 AM Re: Sidewinder problem.  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jupiter,

I recall that before I upgraded my OS from Win98SE to Win2000, the resolution I set to 1024x768 in Win98SE and it seemed to work fine. As Laketrout mentioned, it's the resolution settings. USAF has detected the maximum resolution to be at 1218x768 or something like that and it seems to go right to that setting. I do not want to set it near there for good reasons. I would love to set it at 1024x768 like in Win98SE wihtout the problems and I can't seem to get it there through the preference settings because I have no drop down menus (unless someone can fix that for Win2000 OS.) I do take your word for it as I have my resolution set at 800x640 through Medium then Custom which leaves my resolution at 800x640. I tried to change my resolution through DME but failed. DME preference tab does not work with Admin 8.4 and I'm still looking for a way to change it.

F4e,

The only utilities I have for download by any direction is KazaaLite, ICQ, MSN (can't download because of firewall on server and cannot be turned off), email and some downloading utitly I haven't used for months. I really don't see any other way that I may be able to download from you It seems your computer is not being friendly to you or something. Don't know if I can see any other way unless the community around can help. Thanks for letting me know though.

------------------
MFMO Squad

#1529381 - 01/03/03 03:06 AM Re: Sidewinder problem.  
BUFF Offline
Hotshot
BUFF  Offline
Hotshot

Glasgow, Scotland
You might want to try editing your resolution settings in your pilots.ini

You can do this in table 6[preferences].
Sometimes this will work & sometimes the game will say that it has detected illegal files (so backup your existing one before you edit ).

P.S.I know that people have previously said that the Sidewinders don't work over 1024x768 but I am positive that they have seemed to work OK over that res. for me.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder"

www.CombatACE.com SF P1/WOV/WOE/First Eagles flunky

abit forums
#1529382 - 01/03/03 03:44 AM Re: Sidewinder problem.  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Amraamski,
About the Admin 8.4 Advanced downloading problem, I will try re-orginizing and re-zipping Admin 8.4 Advanced version 1 this weekend.

#1529383 - 01/03/03 04:20 AM Re: Sidewinder problem.  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Roger that F4e.

Buff, thanks for the tips. it should have worked but it detected it as an illegal file. I'm hoping maybe you might be able to edit it for me for the 1024x768 then resend it back to me to see if that works. File name should be the same though. Email me at sandman@accesscomm.ca and I'll send you the file. Thanks.

------------------
MFMO Squad

#1529384 - 01/03/03 05:16 PM Re: Sidewinder problem.  
Orion Offline
Orion  Offline

Everett, WA
I found this in the archives for changing screen resolutions for XP home. It is from ecoli and was posted on 8-22-02

"Here is a quick guide detailing how I solved my usaf/xp problem. It may not solve all users' problems but I hope it helps. I could previously run the game in xp but
could not alter my resolution due to the drop down menu conflict. First, back up your pilot configuration file found in the "pilots" folder. Don't worry about the master folder.
Then enter the game and make sure the graphics settings are set to custom. (not
sure if this is necessary, test it if you like)Next, open your pilot's config file. Find and edit the following lines to read:
Record11=Width of Resolution|1024|0
Record12=Height of Rsolution|768|0
Record13=Depth of Resolution|32|0

Here I have selected 1024x768x32 as this is the highest resolution you can run and
still have functioning sidewinders. I understand that the sidewinder/resolution bug
is universal and has no fix. Also note the following lines:
Record35=Cockpit width resolution|800|640
Record36=Cockpit height resolution|600|480

I did not alter these and am not sure what they are in reference to, but I suspect that
it refers to the highest resolution 2d cockpit available.

Now start the game. It will give an error message instructing you to reinstall USAF.
DO NOT PANIC. Just click "OK." When you restart a second time you should be in
the corrected resolution. You can go to preferences and verify this. It should be
locked into the resolution you selected as long as you leave the preset and default
buttons alone. You should be able to adjust individual settings without problems.

Note:this may not apply to the Demo Version. I had other difficulties with the demo. I run windows xp home edition."

Hope this helps

Orion

#1529385 - 01/03/03 07:30 PM Re: Sidewinder problem.  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Orion,

THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!

It worked. Thanks a bunch. I never thought I can go this far. If only I would have just restarted to see if it would pop up again it would have worked. Thanks bud. I owe ya one. Thanks guys for the help as I owe you all one. Now I can go on without much of a problem. Now I shouldn't have any more problems thanks to you guys for cooperating and helping out. That's what a community is for and we surely do prove ourselves too much.

F4e,
I'd like to know where you live. It might be possible that you can burn a CD and I can send it across ICQ and my web page. Right now, my father is having a little server problem which will be fixed shortly and then my pages will be active right after that's done. Thanks guys for the great work.

------------------
MFMO Squad

[This message has been edited by ATFS_Amraamski (edited 01-03-2003).]

#1529386 - 01/03/03 07:52 PM Re: Sidewinder problem.  
Orion Offline
Orion  Offline

Everett, WA
Glad it worked out for you!

By the way ever thought about FTP with F4e on the file. If he has XP he could give you permission to access his puter via the net and maybe you could get the file by just downloading from his computer.

Just a thought.

Orion

#1529387 - 01/03/03 08:58 PM Re: Sidewinder problem.  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

If I remember correctly the way we used to get around this is cheat with the sidewinders and give it the AIM 7 config envelope. BUFF I think that is what you were experiencing.

To my knowledge, the sidewinder envelope does not work over 600x800 so we had to use the AIM 7 or even the AIM 120 in the Admin release series and that was configured in the DME.

Easy way to find out is to look at the aim 9 evelope and see if its actually an aim 9, in my admins they are not aim9s but aim 7/120 but they use the aim 9 graphics.

Jupiter

#1529388 - 01/03/03 09:25 PM Re: Sidewinder problem.  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Amraamski,
I live in Pleasanton Califorinia, and I dont have a CD burner, I have on on my other computer which has WindowsXP, which I'm going to return. (The UME and QME doesent work on XP) I cant transport all the files I need from Admin 8.4 ADV to that computer to burn it onto a CD...

#1529389 - 01/03/03 09:41 PM Re: Sidewinder problem.  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Heres what you can do. Reget ICQ Drop your 8.4adv. into your shared files. Then when your online someone or me can go into your ICQ shared files and take it off your puter that way.
This is how we got SP9 out I got it from Slikk this way.
Your UME will work in XP, send your UME to your desktop run the Compatibility Wizard.
Mine works with no problems.

------------------
Laketrout_195th

#1529390 - 01/03/03 09:53 PM Re: Sidewinder problem.  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Laketrout,
Do you mean transport my old UME.exe to my widows XP, and replace the UME already on Windows XP?

#1529391 - 01/03/03 10:50 PM Re: Sidewinder problem.  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Orion & Laketrout,

I never thought of that. F4e, if you have ftp access to your computer, I might be able to download directly from your computer if possible. Also, what Laketrout meant was that you take your UME from the USAF folder and put a shortcut to the desktop. Then in the properties menu, you would have something like this:
"C:\Program Files\Jane's Combat Simulation\USAF\Resource\Missions\UME.exe"
All you have to do is put /DME right after the shortcut. Then you go to the compatibility tab and select Windows 98 Compatibility layer. Laketrout, I hope this is what you meant. If not, you can call me a nutbag. LOL

------------------
MFMO Squad
]

[This message has been edited by ATFS_Amraamski (edited 01-03-2003).]

#1529392 - 01/04/03 12:36 AM Re: Sidewinder problem.  
BUFF Offline
Hotshot
BUFF  Offline
Hotshot

Glasgow, Scotland
f4ephantom,

To get your UME to run in XP.

Find your UME.exe (in USAF\Resource\Missions folder).
Right click on it & select "create shortcut."
Place that shortcut wherever you want it (desktop?).
Right click on the shortcut & select properties.
In Properties select the Compatability tab.
Put a tick in the box for "Run this program in compatability mode for" & select Win98/ME.
Click "Apply" & OK.

Your UME should now run OK in XP by clicking on this shortcut.

abit forums
#1529393 - 01/04/03 01:36 AM Re: Sidewinder problem.  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Onion thats a very good tip, I don't play USAF anymore and have not for many months but I would love to here from anyone who can find a way of using sidewinders at resolutions above 800x600.

As it stands there is no solution but...

I have to admit this is one bug that just pissed me off too much to continue playing USAF.

I have only ever played one campaign in USAF and that was Vietnam, so I am not an expert of any kind when it comes to USAF game experience, it had too many unresolved bugs. Its still a great title for showing what a community can do and thats been the best experience for me by far ... more than the game itself I am sorry to say.

Jupiter

#1529394 - 01/04/03 01:59 AM Re: Sidewinder problem.  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Also
Disable visual Themes.
My USAF runs better under Win 2000, my ume runs only in Win 98.

------------------
Laketrout_195th

#1529395 - 01/04/03 02:00 AM Re: Sidewinder problem.  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Getting older programs to run on Windows XP
Most programs run properly on Windows XP. The exceptions are some older games and other programs that were written specifically for an earlier version of Windows. To run your program on Windows XP, try the following:
Run the Program Compatibility Wizard. As an alternative, you can set the compatibility properties manually.
Update your program, drivers, or hardware.
These options are covered in detail below.
The Program Compatibility Wizard
This wizard prompts you to test your program in different modes (environments) and with various settings. For example, if the program was originally designed to run on Windows 95, set the compatibility mode to Windows 95 and try running your program again. If successful, the program will start in that mode each time. The wizard also allows you to try different settings, such as switching the display to 256 colors and the screen resolution to 640 x 480 pixels.
If compatibility problems prevent you from installing a program on Windows XP, run the Program Compatibility Wizard on the setup file for the program. The file may be called Setup.exe or something similar, and is probably located on the Installation disc for the program.
To run the Program Compatibility Wizard
Start the Program Compatibility Wizard .
Follow the instructions in the wizard.
Note
To start the Program Compatibility Wizard, click Start, click Help and Support, click Find compatible hardware and software for Windows XP, and then, under See Also in the navigation pane, click Program Compatibility Wizard.
Set the compatibility properties manually
As an alternative to running the Program Compatibility Wizard, you can set the compatibility properties for a program manually. The settings are the same as the options in the Program Compatibility Wizard.
To set the compatibility properties for a program manually
Right-click the program icon on your desktop or the shortcut on the Start menu for the program you want to run, and then click Properties.
Click the Compatibility tab, and change the compatibility settings for your program.
Notes
The Compatibility tab is only available for programs installed on your hard drive. Although you can run the Program Compatibility Wizard on programs or setup files on a CD-ROM or floppy disk, your changes will not remain in effect after you close the program.
For more information about an option on the Compatibility tab, right-click the option and then click What's This.
Update your program or drivers
If your program does not run correctly after testing it with the Program Compatibility Wizard, check the Web for updates or other fixes, as follows:
Check the Web site of the program's manufacturer to see if an update or patch is available.
Check Windows Update to see if a fix is available for the program. Click Home on the menu bar of Help and Support Center, then click Windows Update in the right pane.
If the program is a game that uses DirectX, ensure that you are using the latest version of DirectX. In addition, check the Web site of the manufacturer of your video card or sound card to see if newer drivers are available for either of them.

------------------
Laketrout_195th

#1529396 - 01/04/03 03:21 AM Re: Sidewinder problem.  
BUFF Offline
Hotshot
BUFF  Offline
Hotshot

Glasgow, Scotland
Jupiter,

Do you know what changes "easy aiming" makes?
I'm sure that someone else will have done this before,but;

Fresh install of 1.01F only running@1360x768x16 on XP Home SP1.

Full "realistic", AIM 9's don't track.
"easy targeting" only, AIM 9's don't track.

"easy aiming" only, AIM 9's do track.

abit forums
#1529397 - 01/04/03 04:49 AM Re: Sidewinder problem.  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks guys. I got the UME to work in Windows XP, but the QME drop down menus still dont work.
Heres my latest work. Let me know what you think.
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=12&uid=816796&gid=1498173&

#1529398 - 01/04/03 03:50 PM Re: Sidewinder problem.  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by BUFF:
Jupiter,

Do you know what changes "easy aiming" makes?
I'm sure that someone else will have done this before,but;

Fresh install of 1.01F only running@1360x768x16 on XP Home SP1.

Full "realistic", AIM 9's don't track.
"easy targeting" only, AIM 9's don't track.

"easy aiming" only, AIM 9's do track.

Thank you BUFF,

Now that is something I never tried, I always played on everything real (140%) so I never thought of this combination.

My suggestion is when the game is set to easy targeting, it uses a default AA missile envelope, in other words its not the AIM9, it is probably the AIM120 (the games most accurate) envelope with a shorter range code built in so in the HUD, the parameters are set to shorter range. I am guessing here but I doubt that in easy target mode it has the correct AIM9 envelope.

If it was possible to change the missile.ibx file, this would probably correct the problem, but as we all know this is hard coded like hell

interesting post there BUFF

J

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.