Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#1393031 - 09/04/04 04:33 AM Dizzyness with WOW  
fearlesslds Offline
fearlesslds  Offline

fayetteville
Just talked to my brother who got this today and one for me which I will pick up tomorrow.

He said playing it made him dizzy . Same problem he and one of my other brothers have with first person shooters. Any ideas on how to fix this .

Anyone else have the same problem.

scott hill
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#1393032 - 09/04/04 06:51 AM Re: Dizzyness with WOW  
franksvalli Offline
franksvalli  Offline

Wow - weird that you mention this. I don't have this game yet, but I have coworkers who have the same problem when we get together and play Unreal Tournament 2004 online - several of them have to end abruptly and take a breather \:\( . They find with more slower-moving game modes (i.e. not deathmatch) they do better.

Not sure how you could remedy this with a flight sim - especially a WWI flight sim (tighter turns!).

-FranksValli

#1393033 - 09/04/04 08:43 AM Re: Dizzyness with WOW  
Cas141 Offline
Cas141  Offline

Northern hemisphere
Is your brother playing the X Box version with a controller as opposed to a joystick?
Is he playing arcade mode?
Is he playing instant action or Campaign.

If the answer to the Qs is yes to either first or second and Campaign, then I'm not surprised. \:\)
As has been said, this game can be run in real arcade , nothing-like-a-sim, mode.
But, using the mods, a proper joystick, a mouseview, etc as simmers do, then, apart from the drideckers being skittish, there is no problem.

It's only fair to the game/sim that anyone thinking of buying this should know of these differences.

Mankind's problem is not failing to know the difference between right and wrong; - It is failing to know the difference between different and wrong
#1393034 - 09/04/04 09:33 AM Re: Dizzyness with WOW  
FlyXwire Offline
FlyXwire  Offline

St.Charles, Missouri U.S.A.
Very true Cas!

Hey Fearlesslds, perhaps elimnating some of the on-screen game aids, like the constantly moving "threat indicators" might help a bit.......all these features can get things looking pretty busy in this game! ;\)

I've really just begun to explore the game's different on-screen options (on/off combo's), and personally like as clean as a view as possible, but without padlock those little threat indicator arrows can really help (at least at first).

The hat view does work well in the game though, and I'm wondering if it's possible to map the mouse "slew" to the hat instead, maybe through custom-profiling within out joystick mapping (just thinking our loud here guys).

Anyway Fearlesslds, tell your brothers maybe to lay off the beers in between missions, that always seems to help too! \:D

#1393035 - 09/04/04 11:25 AM Re: Dizzyness with WOW  
Ivor H Offline
Ivor H  Offline

UK
Yeah, flyXwire, getting the hatswitch to pan, so you can follow a bogie and scan like you can with the mouse, would be a priority.

Once the Czech site's forum is up - this guy has to be connected to the devs, the site is too professional and there's too much inside knowledge - we can open discussions, see how we get on over there.

I'd also strongly echo your view that some minor tweaks to the FM to just "slow it down" might pay big dividends, pending, or in the absence of, more serious stuff. If we're lucky it'll be in there already and the devs or you ingenious modder chappies will unlock it, it's hard to believe that WoW wasn't planned or even developed for some time as a sim. Did you notice that in bino + external view, you can see your pilot not only look around, but that his right arm moves in synch with your stick movements? These Silver Wish people are hot stuff! And it runs well out of the box! Eat your heart out MS!!!

When you soar into the air in a Sopwith scout
And you're scrapping with a Hun and your gun cuts out
Well, you stuff down your nose till your plugs fall out
'Cos you haven't got a hope in the morning!
#1393036 - 09/04/04 11:40 AM Re: Dizzyness with WOW  
FlyXwire Offline
FlyXwire  Offline

Ivor H said:

Quote:
Once the Czech site's forum is up - this guy has to be connected to the devs, the site is too professional and there's too much inside knowledge - we can open discussions, see how we get on over there.
and

Quote:
.......it's hard to believe that WoW wasn't planned or even developed for some time as a sim.
XXXXXXXX..........I'm running out of fingers Ivor! \:D

#1393037 - 09/04/04 01:21 PM Re: Dizzyness with WOW  
Cas141 Offline
Cas141  Offline

Northern hemisphere
Quote:
Originally posted by Ivor H:
Yeah, flyXwire, getting the hatswitch to pan, so you can follow a bogie and scan like you can with the mouse, would be a priority.

True, but I tell you what chaps, TrackIr works with this game. And , if you are serious about flight sims, I reckon trackIR is essential.
It's so natural when set up right -( not hard
to do ) Turn your head slightly to watch the enemy fly past you and then keep him in sight ALL the Time- just as if you would if flying real, by following him with your eyes- no buttons or hat etc.
Check it out here
http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/index.html

cheers

Mankind's problem is not failing to know the difference between right and wrong; - It is failing to know the difference between different and wrong
#1393038 - 09/04/04 01:27 PM Re: Dizzyness with WOW  
FlyXwire Offline
FlyXwire  Offline

I should probably get it, but with my LAN (in which I try to keep all the system's controls matched..........$$$). ;\)

#1393039 - 09/04/04 04:41 PM Re: Dizzyness with WOW  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Quote:
Originally posted by fearlesslds:
Just talked to my brother who got this today and one for me which I will pick up tomorrow.

He said playing it made him dizzy . Same problem he and one of my other brothers have with first person shooters. Any ideas on how to fix this .

Anyone else have the same problem.
Sometimes the refresh rate settings can affect people, try other settings there, higher refresh rate if possible (if your monitor supports it)?

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#1393040 - 09/05/04 02:17 AM Re: Dizzyness with WOW  
fearlesslds Offline
fearlesslds  Offline

fayetteville
Thanks all . I just got back from his house .Played the game and like it a lot as he does . I think what is bothering him is the way the horizon in the distance moves so fast in relation to your turns . Wonder if this can be fixed by a modder or the company or is it too much a part of the overall game.

scott hill
#1393041 - 09/05/04 02:53 AM Re: Dizzyness with WOW  
Hentzau Offline
Hentzau  Offline

Tampa, Florida USA
Quote:
Originally posted by fearlesslds:
I think what is bothering him is the way the horizon in the distance moves so fast in relation to your turns.
I think thats it, the terrain size is relatively small for a sim and so is the skybox. If the clouds were painted out of the skybox and just replaced with blue sky it would probably keep the queasy feeling away(definitely wouldn't be as pretty though). Doesn't seem to effect me, but ALL first person shooters (except for OFP) make me ill.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.