Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#1392880 - 08/28/04 05:41 AM WOW Stop whining and give the company a chance .  
fearlesslds Offline
fearlesslds  Offline

fayetteville
All this whining reminds me of a Jamie Kennedy show where he is pretending to be the parent of a 10 yr old who gets to practice with 3 pros . Everytime the kid tries something, Jamie is critical and even broadsides the kid during a drill .

This is like several of the posts here. You act like this was put out by Seirra, Janes or Microsoft . As far as I know this is the first WW1 flight game by a younger company trying to give us what we are looking for in a flight sim .#1 an actual product not just promises.

Sure it isn't everything it could ,can or will be but a little encouragement goes a long way.

When a young child gives you a picture they've colored you don't point out where they went outside the lines . You encourage ,accept and know improvement will follow.

If you don't think this rates as a SIIIIIMMMM!!! then go pretend to play your copy of Knights Over Europe.

scott hill
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#1392881 - 08/28/04 10:23 AM Re: WOW Stop whining and give the company a chance .  
FlyXwire Offline
FlyXwire  Offline

St.Charles, Missouri U.S.A.
Hey Fearlesslds, maybe it's because playing on these PCs works so well at bringing out that inner child.............

(bang, bang, you're dead :p )

Hmmmmmmm..........what's it been now a few weeks since WoW was first released in Europe, and there's already an "unofficial" website coming online, and perhaps an "official" website too?

Well when I visit the WINGS OF WAR (unofficial pages) I see a button that says Forum, gee, why would a company create a website and possibly plan on hosting a forum there too.............

Certainly all good things we hope for don't come to pass, but with a little encouragement, and some helpful criticism...............

#1392882 - 08/29/04 12:25 AM Re: WOW Stop whining and give the company a chance .  
fearlesslds Offline
fearlesslds  Offline

fayetteville
Good point . It shows they plan to cont this into the future . I'm as happy as a little school girl .

scott hill
#1392883 - 08/29/04 04:50 AM Re: WOW Stop whining and give the company a chance .  
Blacksheep02 Offline
Blacksheep02  Offline

Rhode Island, USA
I'll probably buy it, especially since it appears to be so cheap. Why not, there hasn't been a new WWI sim since the First World War actually ended! lol. So Tally Ho, Pip, pip, chocks away, and Bernard's your uncle! I'm off to join the 20 minuters! ;\)

-Blacksheep
The Sheeps Pen
#1392884 - 08/29/04 04:56 PM Re: WOW Stop whining and give the company a chance .  
Trajan Offline
Trajan  Offline

Awesome campaign, which guides you through the whole war
Easy to control Arcade mode and realistic Classic flight model to choose from
Twelve fast paced huge levels plus one tutorial level (reminds me of Quake )
Seasons change as war progresses
Stunning realistic graphics with detailed models
Gameplay with many different tasks, bonus missions and power-ups (Power ups)
7 different landscapes, from doomed plains through deep canyons to rich grasslands, from villages through cities to industrial complex
Each landscape presents 256 square km (64 square km of playfield each)
Living world full of fighting ground units, including trucks, trains, tanks, APCs, boats and many more ( APCs in WW1 ????)
Realistic weather effects, including snow, sunset and wild storm
Weather and day time changes during missions
More than 25 planes of all kinds
Ruthless enemies leaded by noble and deadly German Ace Blue Max and his wingman Otto
Reconnaissance balloons and huge airships cruising the skies
Variety of ground units ranging from courier cars to tanks or giant howitzers
Customisable Instant Action mode with nearly all planes at your hands
4 Multiplayer modes, which allow you to prove your skill against other human players
Up to 30 players on LAN or Internet multiplayer game
Bots (AI controlled opponents) for Multiplayer and Instant Action modes are ready whenever you want.

Sounds far too arcade, even with the so called Classic setting.

"We have come to bring you Liberty and Equality, but don't lose your head about it. The first one of you moves without my permission will be shot." Marshal of the Empire Francois Lefebyre
#1392885 - 08/29/04 05:30 PM Re: WOW Stop whining and give the company a chance .  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have said this before on this and other forums.

It was not released as a sim so don't criticise it as such.

What it does offer is a view of how a modern WW1 should look and what it could offer is the possibility of modding it to more simmable status.

Applaud it for what it is not deride it for what is was not intended to be.

Even in the released state it is a fine and enjoyable game.

#1392886 - 08/29/04 05:30 PM Re: WOW Stop whining and give the company a chance .  
FinnN Offline
FinnN  Offline

Absolutely nowhere on the game box or in the (41 page) manual does it mention that the game is a sim or that it's realistic. Just as one quick example to get a George Cross in the campaign you need to destroy 1000+ planes!

I can't remember any posts saying that the game is rubbish, quite the opposite in fact. What people are mentioning is not to expect a sim when the game isn't one. For example, is Sudden Strike a realistic WW2 ground combat game along the lines of Combat Mission? No, and neither is WoW a flight sim, despite the setting. What it is a great, easy to get into, professionally made arcade game that I'd recommend to anyone with an interest in WW1. That's not a whine.

Have fun
Finn

#1392887 - 08/29/04 06:54 PM Re: WOW Stop whining and give the company a chance .  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Quote:
Originally posted by Ironhand:

It IS arcade no-one has said it isn't. However it is FUN, and you can turn off most arcade options to make it more LIKE a sim. What we want is to be able to mod it, or find if the developers will bring out a more sim add-on or patch, even if we pay for that. Then the FMs, missions etc could be made more sim-like.

Still it's some of the best fun dogfights and awesome models and terrain, just needs a bit more to be a sim.

For such a cheap price its VERY worth getting for most of us \:D

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#1392888 - 08/29/04 07:12 PM Re: WOW Stop whining and give the company a chance .  
Cas141 Offline
Cas141  Offline

Northern hemisphere
Quote:
Originally posted by Ironhand:

"Sounds" being the important part of this opinion. For £20 buy it , when you can, ignore all that hype above ( as a supporter of the potential of this game I have said that the Campaign is daft, for a simmer ) but try the Instant Action.
Use the settings I have suggested, and whatever view method you like -not padlock, it isn't supported ;\) and set up a one on one.
Ignore the rockets and then tell me which sim gives a better dogfight, offline.

You will be surprised.

Mankind's problem is not failing to know the difference between right and wrong; - It is failing to know the difference between different and wrong
#1392889 - 08/30/04 12:27 PM Re: WOW Stop whining and give the company a chance .  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I understand all that Povlovsky and Cas, and I it's likely that I will buy WoW at one point, but I am still not convinced I really should buy WoW NOW because:

-I am quite pleased with the far deeper RBFCJ (despite some CTD issues)

-Early 2005 the price will be 4.95 (yup: that's how fast it goes over here)

-early 2005 it will be clear whether the publisher is in fact supportive of this game and/or the community is actively modding it.

-because I also get bored with the likes of SFP1 quick, which flight game is basically just about instant dogfighting (and quick A/G) as well.

I am not whining, or so I think, just being realistic from a personal perspective. See, I am at a point in my gaming 'carreer' where I am primarily looking at new games in a rational fashion. God knows how I hate the pile of abandoned software in my attic (weird btw, it's tough to simply dump in the trash) \:\)

#1392890 - 08/30/04 05:30 PM Re: WOW Stop whining and give the company a chance .  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

OK Bobby, I understand where you are coming from, we are just pointing out that we never said this is a sim that's all, but yet as a sim lover I like it and it has great potential.

Flyby1 already posted how to remove the rockets from players and AI so we are getting somewhere already \:D .

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#1392891 - 08/31/04 04:04 AM Re: WOW Stop whining and give the company a chance .  
fearlesslds Offline
fearlesslds  Offline

fayetteville
Finn1

I think it is a sim . Not up to the levels many on here would like apparantly but it's in early stages . People seem to be impatient and want it to be everything that Koe promised etc. And dismissing it as arcade is whinning to me.

scott hill
#1392892 - 08/31/04 01:50 PM Re: WOW Stop whining and give the company a chance .  
FinnN Offline
FinnN  Offline

Unless I'm missing something, based on your other posts, you don't actually have the game yet. It seems somewhat impatient to be declaring it the next ww1 sim when you don't even have it yet. I'm sure some people do class it as a sim (even though, judging by the manual and box, the publishers and developers don't) but I don't. Without some serious work by the developers I can't see it becoming one either. Maybe they will, but in the meantime I'd rather enjoy something for what it is rather than for what I'd like it to be.

Likewise, although I'd really like KoE to come out I suspect there are now too many 'ifs' for that to happen now (at least in the next couple of years). It's a shame none of the major sim developers seem interested in a WW1 add-on as whilst the market *might* be too small for a stand-alone game from the likes of Microsoft or Ubi, I'm certain it would generate enough sales as an add-on.

Have fun
Finn

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.