Originally Posted by Woofie_Dog
And yes it IS a tricky thing to upgrade 20 year old code...which is why they should have done it 15 years ago.

Sorry, but this is the part where we will disagree because you don't know enough about eSim Games and the Steel Beasts code base to form an informed opinion. 2004 we did upgrade old code - we've been constantly doing so - by replacing the old software based renderer of Steel Beasts 1.0 with a hardware accelerated engine. We switched from DirectX 7 to DirectX8, then DirectX 9 before the Personal Edition was released. If that wasn't a major code base upgrade I don't know what would count for one. With version 2.5 we introduced daylight changes, for version 3.0 we rewrote the OpenGL based Viper Engine for use with Steel Beasts, and with version 4.1 we rewrote the whole lighting code (as can be seen most dramatically with all the trees). The idea that we're using the same render engine since 1999 is demonstrably false.

We have just refused to let our innovation process be technology-driven. Rather we have looked at things that were essential to improve the utility value of Steel Beasts in training, and then chosen the necessary steps in the tech field to enable such changes. Apparently some people still haven't realized that when I told the public since 2005 that Steel Beasts Pro is no longer a game, I actually meant it. Don't let the name betray you, eSim Games is a training company.

Visit the home of Steel Beasts!
...the ultimate armor sim...