Originally Posted by VF9_Longbow
Originally Posted by Woofie_Dog
Originally Posted by Ssnake
Just goes to show that different priorities yield different products.

Yes yes...sadly...I have to agree totally in your defense since Bohemia did the ridiculously stupid idea of introducing Aliens into the arma world(and to that I say "#%&*$# them")...100 points to you.

The aliens idea was weird.

But I have to say, I recently played on a Zeus server where we had been playing normal missions all day and were getting a bit bored. Zeus apparently had the aliens DLC installed and he started using it.

Suddenly we show up at the LZ and an enormous god ray comes to earth. The smarter of the platoon got the hell out of there as fast as we could on a Little Bird then parachuted to safety behind some mountains where we watched from a distance.

Our other platoon mates who stayed near the primary target were soon making frantic radio calls as the entire world started spinning. The weather changed from a calm evening night to a raging cyclone with insane winds. The god ray then sent a massive energy pulse through the entire map, killing everyone near by, and sending shockwaves everywhere that knocked out helicopters and anything else not behind some terrain. Us mountain boys managed to survive it.

Totally ridiculous experience, but it was pretty neat for Zeus to have the tools to enable that, it really mixed up the game and made for a crazy and interesting hour or so of gameplay. When you consider the weirdness of parts of the original campaign, some parts of the aliens dlc aren't so far fetched. At least, if the mission creator uses the new tools carefully, they can be implemented very well to create a highly interesting and original style of gameplay.

And when you really think about it, there never really has been a realistic simulation of what humans should do if first contact ever were made.

Anyway, getting off topic. Glad to see this update Ssnake, and I think your base upgrade price was fair given the huge amount of new content. I am glad to see that eSim hasn't gone the DLC route. It seems like you guys have found a fair balance between timing of major upgrades and pricing them to fund additional content in the future.

It is a tricky thing to be able to keep upgrading an engine which has its roots based in 20+ year old code. IMO eSim's strategy ought to be a case study in careful marketing and good planning for the software and gaming industry. So often people want free upgrades because the updates are being made to software that has the same name as something the customer bought 2 - 4 years ago. It's very clear in the case of SB that each major update brings huge changes that are not only worth the upgrade money but obviously necessitate payment in order to keep the development pace as it is going into the future.

I have to agree here also...kudos to Bohemia for Pro-actively going for dollars to create new content(but they could have done it in a different way...one that was conducive to their user base,ie a military theme not a SI-FI one)And I`m sue your aware that this IS a controversy in the arma world.
And yes it IS a tricky thing to upgrade 20 year old code...which is why they should have done it 15 years ago.
As for the DLC thing...mmmm...I dunno...If I could buy a new tank today ,I would.And I'd pay just what I do in DCS.

Last edited by Woofie_Dog; 07/03/19 02:46 PM.