My VR experience started with Elite as well. I’ll never forget the first time I lifted off from a station pad and rolled to align to the mail slot. My WHOLE WORLD rolled. That was when the immersion of VR hit me. My initial experience with the SRV was gut wrenching, as I got a bad case of motion sickness aka VR sickness. I did manage to acclimate myself, but I do need to close my eyes when the SRV goes tumbling down a hill or spins out.

I’ll also second IL-2 as a quality experience. The first time loaded up a flight, I looked down and had that same feeling I have looking down from a tall building or bridge. The experience is amazing! DCS was breathtaking as well. The feeling of being IN the cockpit was amazing! It’s much more cramped than sitting on a chair in front of a monitor!!

I’ve tried some of the VR movie shorts that are in the Oculus store, one in particular is called “The Crow” and it was really a different experience to be in the scene of a movie; even a Pixar-esque one like that. I almost felt like I had to sneak up on the characters so as not to disturb them.

Another excellent experience I’ve had is a game called “Transpose,” which is an escape room/puzzle type game game that has you on some futuristic structures and again, the environment is all around you.

If you’ve used TrackIR or an equivalent, you are familiar with the idea that almost every movement of your head is translated into camera movement. Real,life vision isn’t like that thoug, you can turn your head slightly and not have your entire field of view shift. VR is like that - very natural feeling.

As far as adverse effects, we’ll aside from the aforementioned queasiness and a little “Oculus face” from a prolonged session or two, I haven’t noticed much. I will say though that in Subnautica when I getting low on air and I’m rushing either to the surface or some safe haven I have caught myself holding my breath now and then though. I also got the pants scared off me a few nights ago as a rather large creature came out of nowhere and attacked. Thesethings didnt typically bother me in flat games, but VR seems to have suspended disbelief a little more thoroughly.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein