You know the sad thing is, making these kinds of cutscenes and storylines possible is not a difficult thing at all.

In fact a lot of games can already do this but the mission designers just choose not to because it's too much work to make the press videos, the news stories etc.

In games that don't have the ability to do it yet, the developers would need to add a few small changes to the code to read the results of the mission i.e. units destroyed, ownship state, etc. then fire off a trigger the mission designer has set when the mission ends. The triggers would dictate which debrief message is played, which video is played, which graphic is displayed, etc. Same thing at the start of a mission. Not something hard to do as long as the game already has a briefing / debriefing screen. Most games would only require the addition of an inline video player, code that can be copy pasted in about 10 seconds.

I'm always disappointed when I browse around looking for simulator missions and find the briefings rife with spelling errors, lacking important information or being completely unrealistic in general. I recall a Dangerous Waters mission I downloaded that had a briefing that went something like this - "Shote yuor tomahokws and KCIK THAT RUSIAN AS#$". Placed the sub a few miles away from the target with a billion enemies nearby and that was that. Hmm.

I played through the Arma 3 campaign recently and quite enjoyed most of it. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like it was dynamic, I don't think my actions really affected the flow of the game much..it's just a branching campaign. But still, most of the story was decent, the voice acting was good and so were the cutscenes made within the game itself. I disliked how the game ended, it felt like the team ran out of money or time to continue developing the campaign, but at the same time I felt slightly attached to some of the characters I came across, something that hasn't happened in a while for me with a game.