I knew nasty things were in the game, I had heard of leviathans, and I had even run into the docile ones earlier. I ran across a picture of the Reaper but didn't expect to run into him yet.
My son also played this game for a while, and when we talked about it a couple of weeks ago he told me that it was scary around the Aurora but he didn't say why.

I wasn't expecting to get attacked at that point, I didn't think I was in a dangerous area but my guard was up.

I think I did get that warning when I encountered the harmless ones, but never had any issue with them so I wasn't worried.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein