Hi all,
The 3D printed lower wing is detailed enough, but as normal there are details that can be added to make it more authentic.
Early production Fokker D.VII aircraft were fitted with bracing tapes that were routed across the wings between the front and rear wing spars and between the rear wing spar and the wing trailing edge.
These tapes were routed in a diagonal ‘zig-zag’ form, up and over each wing rib.
However later production aircraft were fitted with 10 mm square strip wood as replacements for the earlier tapes.
The 3D printed wings represent the later, strip wood version.
Although these strip wood struts can be left to make the model build easier, I've chosen to remove the wings strip wood struts and represent the earlier bracing tapes.

In addition, the two wing halves, when test joined at the centre section spars, showed a higher than expected dihedral angle.
Therefore I had to shave away material from the spars to achieve the correct angle.

Finally the leading edges of both wings were fitted with 'saw tooth' plywood fairings, which will need to be scratch made, as will the trailing edge support wire for attaching the linen covering.

So far:
Spars adjusted.
Strip wood bracing removed.
Diagonal bracing struts added to inner and outer trailing edges.
Holes drilled at the wing strut attachment points for attaching the wings internal cross bracing cables.
Wings scrapped clean of wax support material, assembled and primed.

The upper wing, which is in three sections, will require similar treatment.

Mike

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Sandbagger; 05/17/19 04:56 PM.

[Linked Image]

Alienware Aurora R5
Windows 10 64 bit
Intel i7-6700K 4.2Ghz
Two GTX 1080 Foundations in SLI (8 Gig each)
32 Gig DDR4 2133Mhz
1TB SSD boot drive - 1TB SATA storage drive
5.1 Surround Sound
34" Dell Ultra Sharp U3415W (3440x 2440)
CH Pro-Pedals, Stick and Throttle
TrackIR-5 Pro