I'm now going to say a couple of nice things about my father... smile

Even in those days he provided for his family (although mom also worked once I [the youngest by 5 years] started school), more than can be said of his own father who was a skilled machinist. Dad was a high school dropout (if he even made it to HS), went back and got his GED. He worked many menial/hard labor jobs (oil platforms to river barges, then working under other grandfather [mom's father] painting houses). He retired as a self-employed sheetrock finisher/painter, known in local community as being very trustworthy and very good at what he does, popular especially among the well-to-do's. A lazy person he has never been.

Also, give him a weekend alone in the bayous in his canoe with just a tent and sleeping bag, his dog (at the time) and his .22 and he'll come back with interesting stories. If there was ever a situation that he'd have to live off the land in the primitive outdoors, he could quickly adapt. And it's obvious that I admire the way he takes care of himself and his current physical fitness as an elderly man. His grandmother lived to be just shy of 100, I guess that's what he's shooting for.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run