I actually got my first confirmed victory with no witnesses (as a German). I lingered over our assigned balloon longer than the rest of my flight (Jasta 41) and decided to scare away anybody that might show up. when some Sopwith Strutter single-seaters showed up. one flew away deeper into our lines while the other one got into a lengthy turning fight with me. I shot him up pretty badly and he crashed about a mile behind enemy lines.

I've never gotten a victory confirmed with no witnesses on the normal victory claims setting before. I made the claim, against my thoughts to the contrary, because I figured I should have an explanation for why I arrived home with nearly half of my ammo gone. at least the balloon was in sight when I started fighting.

I've had similar encounters in the same squadron where I was defending a balloon, shot down an enemy, and put in a claim with my squad mates as witnesses and it got denied. guess my mates were too far away to notice what was going on. this time I decided to forego the witnesses since they were miles away when I got into that fight.