What I'm trying to do here is to track the life of a Jasta, rather than a pilot. The Jasta I chose for the experiment is Jasta 11, closely associated with MvR, who took command in mid-January 1917. Since we have fairly good stats on this unit, I thought it would be interesting to see how it fared in WOFFWorld. I should point out that I'm using the mod that cuts down on HAs to the top 200, otherwise Jasta 11 wold be loaded with HAs. During the months in question, only 2 of the 14 pilots were HAs. So 11 were computer generated aviators, CGs.

Jasta 11 was formed in October 1916 and was disestablished after the Armistice. So it had a life of 25 months. It's generally credited with 350 victories. The Jasta lost 21 pilots--17 KIA, 2 captured, 2 in flying accidents. On average, Jasta 11 scored 14 victories a month, for the loss of .84 aviators. The kill/death (kd) ratio was 16.6/1. There are two ways to look at its losses. Losing less than 1 pilot a month isn't too bad; alternatively, losing 21 pilots in a unit with 14 aviators is a casualty rate of 150%!

Jasta 11 was considered a poor quality unit, until the arrival of MvR. No wonder! If the WOFF aircraft allocation is accurate, for the three months before MvR's arrival, when Jasta 2 was flying Albatrosi, Jasta 11 was flying Halberstadt D IIs and IIIs. The Albatross DI and DII are almost 20 mph faster than the Halberstadt, more maneuverable, and have two guns instead of one. The Jasta was outfitted with Albatrosi AFTER MvR showed up! So was the difference his leadership, or the fact that with him in charge the unit finally got some up-to-date aircraft?

Here are the stats for the period from 11 October 1916 to 11 November 1916. I did not include any kills credited to pilots when the Jasta became operational. The number in brackets under kills is my score. As HAs transfer into the unit, I am not going to include the scores they brought with them. One thing I could not track accurately, was in-game kills by HAs, since they do not always fly with Flight B. I see them shoot down aircraft and balloons that remain un-credited because of how the system works. On the other hand, when they are credited with a scripted victory, I will include that. Hopefully this problem won't throw off the stats that much.

11 Oct 11 Nov
aAircraft Start bPilots Start cPilots End dKills Start eKills End fKIA gAircraft End

a11 HD3 b14 c14 d 0 e10 (4) 4f g 9 HD3
a3 HD2 g5 HD2

In this first month, the Jasta is not living up to the average of kills or KIAs. Nevertheless, it's scoring more than twice as many victories as it's lost. The current k/d is 2.5/1.

I know when I post this message, the spacing on my chart is going to get all screwed up. I've placed small letters ahead of each group which, I hope, will allow you to associate the numbers with the correct column.

Nowi

Last edited by Nowi; 11/03/18 02:44 PM.

Nowi