1st Lt. John B. Goode
147th Aero Squadron, USAS

Friday, October 11th, 1918

Dud weather, spent most of the day with Pup out in the woods. She's not as playful was she was, getting older, like all of us. Ran with me along the game trails until we were both exhausted and drenched. Good for us both. She sleeps in Meissner's tent now. She never knows when I'm going to be around these days and it's quieter. There are 8 of us in this tent. Meissner made Captain.

They brought in a newbie, Sonny Hammonds, 1st Loot, transferred from a 2 seater squadron. Don't know which one, don't care. He's in our Flight, so he's in our tent. Took Dewey's cot, next to mine. There's no other place for him to bunk, of course, but I wanted to kill him. He tried to be friendly, I cut him off and walked away. Saw the others talking to him, he stays out of my way now. Maybe I can stand to look at him after awhile, but not now.

The papers are full of news about the peace talks but the war is still going on just the same. The doughs are going ahead in the Argonne but the Huns are digging in their heels hard. They're all but finished but don't have enough sense to know it.

Going back up to Brabant tomorrow. More low levels and sausage hunting, unless I miss my guess. I'm supposed to be getting a DSC for something, haven't seen the citation, don't really care right now.