Wow, I don't know how I knew it, but I knew you were digesting Falcon and would have a very interesting response to my question. Awesome. salute

I think that Cougar MFD's would help with assigning buttons for you too.

You go into setup>controllers, find the mapping you want, highlight it's key, and then press the MFD
button you want to use. Fantastic. The first 2 that you buy should be tied to OSB 1-20. IMO.
Corner rocker buttons are free to use, which would give you 16 more functions that can be freely assigned.
Any second purchase of MFDs would allow you full use of all buttons, which would be a total of 56 more places to assign functions.
Falcon has a way of overfilling any HOTAS capacity.

But to answer your question, they just have a paper graphic in the middle. As you know now, I label mine for the particular function. biggrin
Some guys do add an extracted live screen to it's purpose, using a couple of different methods. Either by purchasing a small screen and placing the MFD on it, or using a
second monitor, downsizing the live extracted MFD screen to it and then attaching the MFD to it.
I don't like these Idea though, because you are still left with the MFDs in your pit but they would have little use, as far as the graphic goes.
The last thing I need is 2 representations of the same graphic to totally confuse me. I don't think it would be good for me. nope
The plus would be having a larger display to visually examine. I do like that part of the idea. We used to have a view called 'ghost mfd's' that would bring up an oversized view, for temporary use.
Boy do I miss that. yep
I suppose I could zoom, but don't want to for some reason.

As you know, I took good use of the 'eject' mapping for my MFD, your advice is straight on bro. Especially for Korea Strong/IF. biggrin