Bitcoin price plunges after cryptocurrency exchange is hacked

[Bitcoin] lost $500 (£372) in an hour, dropping to $6,627 on the Luxembourg exchange Bitstamp, while most other digital currencies also recorded large losses.

US regulators were investigating potential price manipulation at four major cryptocurrency exchanges

“Plenty of latecomers to the cryptocurrency rally have had their fingers burnt, have taken their losses (or are still sitting on them) and have vowed never to return,”

Today, Bitcoin price was within a fraction of lowest in over a year. Profitability was lowest in years. Price manipulation seems to have been there from the beginning (in my readings).

Today, at Newegg, the cheapest 3 Fan GTX 1080 is $540 and the cheapest 3 Fan RX Vega 64 is $570 (both include a free game). The cheapest GTX1080Ti is $750.

At release, the Reference RX Vega 64 list price was $500 -- and custom 3 fan cards were expected to be $50 more. That price jumped up quickly after release due to increased HBM2 memory prices that (some speculate) added close to $50 to the cost. Hence, it was not unusual to pay roughly $600 for a Vega 64, even at the beginning. Thus, $550-$600 list price (more or less) is not way out of line for AMD cards like these -- particularly if one wants to use their "compute" functionality.

But, as has been noted in various SimHQ threads, now's not the time to buy -- unless one very much wants a particular model and it goes on good sale (my rational-ization smile ). I assume the price will continue to drop.

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro