I confess I’m a chilli (con carne) addict and spent ages refining my own version of a Texan Chilli recipe, borrowing various ideas and ingredients from others over the years that it now bears little resemblance to the original long since lost. Whilst I like the chilli I make, I realise it’s a world away from an authentic Texan Chilli and I’d like to get back to something more realistic. I’ve tried a few recipes seen online and apart from the huge variations between them all, they somehow seem a little bland from what I would expect; something rich and fulfilling, with bags of beef/tomato flavour and an unmistakable chilli kick. Anyone have a recipe that may meet my expectations they’d like to share?

My own recipe is a fairly simple affair provided below. I like my chilli hot and use Sriracha sauce to adjust heat as required.

750g (ground) minced beef
2 peppers
2 large onions
100g mushrooms
5-6 red/green chillies
4 cloves garlic
2 medium carrots
400g chopped tomatoes
500g Passata
800g tinned red kidney beans
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground coriander
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon hot chilli powder
2 tablespoons ground paprika
2 tablespoons rapeseed oil
1 beef stock cube
2 tablespoons Bovril (Concentrated beef extract)
Chopped fresh basil for garnish

1. Finely dice carrots, peppers, onions, mushrooms and chillies. Mince garlic and keep all veggies on a plate to the side.
2. Prepare spice mix in a cup or small bowl by combining cumin, oregano, black pepper, ground coriander, salt, chilli powder and paprika.
3. In a large stock pot, fry minced beef in the rapeseed oil and add stock cube while mince is browning.
4. When mince is brown, add half the spice mix to the stockpot. Stir with the mince, lightly frying the spices.
5. Add the vegetables to the stock pot and stir.
6. Add remaining spice mix and combine all ingredients. Reduce heat to a simmer and lightly fry, stirring constantly for 3 to 4 minutes. Do not burn the garlic!
7. Add chopped tomatoes, passata, kidney beans and Bovril. Stir until fully combined, cover and leave to simmer for 2 hours to ensure vegetables are cook
through and all the ingredients to get to know one another.
8. Serve with rice and add torn basil leaves for garnish.