Why crypto mining wasn't the only culprit for wild GPU prices

Looking back at the great graphics card shortage

Graphics card prices have been falling back to 'normal' over the past month, and the end of the GPU shortage is finally in sight. But why did we have a shortage in the first place, and are we really out of the woods—and what's going to happen with the next generation of graphics cards, due in the August/September time frame?

Long Article

A long article listing several possible reasons GPU prices were high. But, noting they are coming down. It may be an interesting read for someone interested in the causes of high prices.

Thing is, the article speculates prices will not get back to the old list prices -- because, due to high memory costs, they cost $50 to $100 more to make, and will be priced $100 to $200 more to compensate. The author is using educated guesstimates of memory costs and markups.

The article questions if the next release of AMD and Nvidia GPUs will have high enough FPS to justify their costs. He notes Nvidia is close to the next gaming-GPU release, and AMD is not saying much about AMDs next gaming release (until June).

I am holding out for an AMD GPU much better than I have for list price or less -- it must give bang per buck relative to my current card. The article indicates I may have to wait a while. But, the article is educated speculation (not verified fact). So, we'll see.

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro