Originally Posted by Paradaz
That’s beyond ridiculous, and what is the average person supposed to do that doesn’t have a spare Ryzen chip knocking about?

Another royal AMD clusterf**k

After trying about 6 things to verify that nothing seemed broken, I Googled the problem. The solution came from Intel owners who were discussing how their new Intel CPU would not work in their Intel motherboard. They were just as upset as you are -- but at Intel. One Intel solution was to go to a store and buy an older design Intel CPU. Use it to flash the BIOS -- and return it right away -- hoping for no restocking fee. Fortunately, I had my Ryzen 1800 nearby.

Apparently and old problem that occasionally occurs when a substantially or radically different CPU design is released that fits old motherboards that were released with non-conforming BIOS version. Maybe its why Intel changes motherboards with new CPU designs so often (but, those new MB add to the cost of upgrading Intel). I imagine the soon to come 400 series AMD motherboards will not have the issue.

Non-the-less, we do agree that the AMD Advertising should have warned buyers about this issue and provided a convenient, no cost solution.

UPDATE: I went to Newegg and posted a review warning folks of the issue. Also, Newegg has finally lowered the price to the correct list price -- $170. And, they've issued refunds for the overcharge.

Last edited by Allen; 02/15/18 01:22 AM.

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro