There comes a time in WOFF pilot’s life when he starts asking questions. Where do I come from? Why does it burn when I pee? Why isn’t my rear gunner shooting? And, how do I tell the difference between the two SPAD models. The most obvious way is to count the number of Vickers being aimed at you. This is only slightly helpful, as you probably will never live long enough to tell. The engine of the XIII is more powerful than the VII’s, but since both models leave you far behind, the method may be less than reliable. So what’s left? External appearance, you say? Ok, let’s try that. XIII has an extra set of struts connecting the fuselage to the top plane. So, that’s one way. What else? XIII has a larger radiator. Good luck telling them apart that way. Might as well count the machine guns. Got anything else? Something big, easily distinguishable? Well yes, the rudder. They are totally different. Take a look at the picture below:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Totally different ... not! Something went wrong with SPAD VII model.
Ok, never mind. Let’s look at the horizontal stabilizer and elevators: two different animals. Look:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Umm, I give up. Help!

(You can always turn the labels on.
Lay-bells? What’s that?)

Attached Files Side-13.jpgSide-7.jpgTop-13.jpgTop-7.jpg

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."