Originally Posted by Paradaz
We'll agree to disagree then. .. For a long time now, it appears that AMD have just thrown in the towel with these power hungry cards.

Agree smile

Looking on the "dark side".

The RX Vega, though good, fell short of AMD's plans. I surmise that the "high power draw" aspect was a "last ditch" effort to get the few extra FPS higher power brings. They did that to be "competitive". Nvidia has also done that, in the past.

The concept was that RX Vega would be cheaper than Nvidia. However, HBM memory prices stayed high (not AMD's fault). So, the planned lower pricing did not materialize. Now, all memory costs more than it should because of higher memory demand and relatively low production.

What made things worse, HBM memory was months (if not a year) late versus what the HBM manufacturer promised. So, RX Vega was late. By that time, Nvidia's products had "moved on" from what AMD had expected to compete with.

Because the cards were nearly a year late, their performance on non-optimum drivers was compared with Nvidia products having optimized drivers. Looked worse than it was, at first. Drivers caught up for many cases, but that's not frequently reported.

Yes, I think AMD has "thrown in the towel with these power hungry cards" (to quote someone I'm familiar with). Why try? Everything they produce "sells out fast" at ridiculous prices. Not due to FPS but due to "compute" aspects.

I surmise (a guess) they're betting it all on 7nm Navi. Navi sounds like a good bet -- if its not delayed -- or "too good" at compute (so that cryptocurrency miners keep prices high).

I'd like an RX Vega at the original list prices. But, I personally am resigned to waiting for Navi. Right now, my RX480 plays everything at max or ultra 1440p at FPS that satisfies me. So, I'm in no hurry other than I want to buy something (get my "fix").

So, we agree to a degree (and don't entirely disagree) smile

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro