High End Graphics Card Reach Insane Price Levels: NVIDIA’s GTX 1080 Ti Going For $1599 and AMD’s Vega 64 For $2099

2017 saw GPU pricing becoming a pain in the neck with AMD’s Vega graphic cards and it looks like 2018 is all set to make last year’s pricing look positively cute..

Interestingly, the reason behind the price gouging of both products is different. AMD’s Vega 64 is simply a beast at XMR mining...

NVIDIA high end graphics cards on the other hand are up right now because of lack of competition. They aren’t that profitable at mining ..

.. memory saw a spike recently which was expected to trickle down to customers eventually. But this is something that has more to do with the mining boom ..

In brief, due to cryptocurrency mining, all (AMD and Nvidia) higher performance GPUs will continue to cost more than they are worth to most gamers (at least, AMD will).

In the past, I was a "happy camper" because AMD offered the most overall value (bang per buck). But, AMD's outstanding ability in "compute" tasks has destroyed AMD's "gamer's market" precisely because of "bang per buck" (cryptocurrency miners are in it for the money). Even Nvidia fans are "paying the price".

I keep harping on this topic because it will define the GPU market for the foreseeable future -- for AMD and Nvidia fans. Hope i'm wrong in my non-expert evaluation of the situation.

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro