It was announced on the IL2 Sturmovik forums by the developers that they will take the first steps to re-creating RoF within the newer, BoX engine. This limited first step will be to refurbish 10 existing RoF planes within BoX and create a 100km x 100k map of an area within France featuring some towns and a NML section.

No campaign
No career mode

The newer BoX engine does have some exciting technology though such as being 64 bit and DX11. I have no idea what the AI is like in BoX. Hopefully its improved over RoF which in it's current form has limited capabilities, at best.

I think this is some very exciting news though, because it means there is some renewed interest in developing WWI flight sims again. 777 appears to clearly be focusing on MP for its initial steps of the RoF/BoX conversion and that's something they are good at. I genuinely hope it's successful. It also gives me hope that OBD will do the same (as they have stated they intend to) and upgrade WOFF UE with the improvements from the WOTR engine. The best will continue to get better.

Just when I thought WWI sim development was going to be on the back burner for a long time, it has unexpectedly begun to heat up again. Even though there is nothing tangible yet (pre-orders won't be taken until Q1 of 2018) it's still a nice early Christmas present.

Last edited by Hellshade; 11/17/17 02:16 PM.

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68