Originally Posted by Nimits
Can anyone give a summary of the differences between this and TMO (or, for that matter, RFB)?

Hi, Nimits. I looked around for anything I could find to answer your question simply. I am not aware of anything that summarizes the differences between these supermods. The best I can say is that FOTRS appears to have been originally based on TMO, then the guys at Aces of the Deep, and MadMax in particular, did a lot of modding to bring it in line with their vision. The modders who have made the Ultimate version of FOTRS compiled as much of the original mod as possible and brought it into compatibility with the most recent version of SH4. They have also incorporated mods from other modders and worked out a lot of kinks. You can read more about the development of the mod here:
Subsim FOTRSU mods workshop

"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold."
1stLt. Clifton B. Cates, USMC
in Belleau Wood, 19 July 1918