Originally Posted by Paradaz
Not sure why anyone would plump for a Vega 64 at the moment...

Agree with the general direction of your comments.

My personal take is:

AMD bet on HBM2, and lost. So, the product is 9 months late. However, that only hurts AMD -- 9 months of lost sales -- and a less competitive product for the date of release. It does not hurt any customer who buys an RX Vega or Nvidia card in the future. So, I have a problem with reviews dwelling on the "lateness".

I do understand why AMD has to "bet" on new technology. They don't have the money to have a "back up plan". So, they take their best guess and go for it.

For current buyers -- hmmm. Sold out. That was expected, by me.

The best cards always come out weeks or a few months after the first reference cards. Again, that hurts AMD because some folks can't wait for that. But, it does not hurt anyone buying AMD or Nvidia when they do arrive.

You may be correct about the 70/30 if one considers raw wins and losses and ranks performance in DX11 to be as important as performance in DX12 and Vulcan. I don't though. I consider "how close" was the loser and I consider DX12 and Vulcan performance to be "the future" (every card seems to do well in DX11 -- even my RX480 at 1440p). In almost all its losses, RX Vega would be hard or impossible to distinguish in a blind test (same for Nvidia in their losses -- too close to matter).

So, for now, it comes down to "bang per buck" in cards that perform within about 10 percent of one another -- to my way of thinking. Or, alternatively, is one an AMD Fan or an Nvidia Fan -- buy from your favorite manufacturer because you won't "see" the difference ("measure" but not "see").

The jury is still out on Bang per Buck, and new drivers, I think -- we have to wait for the drivers and market to stabilize (two or three months, at least). And, fans will be fans. I'm an AMD fan as you all know smile . So, I'll buy nothing or buy AMD (nothing for now). But, I do recognize AMD shortcomings -- when they occur smile

I don't expect everyone to see things like I do smile

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro