I received a unique and unexpected Father's Day gift from my very liberal anti-gun wife: An hour at the range to shoot six different machine guns. It was a Heritage Guild Father's Day special. I told you guys my wife would come around eventually. I had to take it slow (2.5 years) before I could become a gun owner. She's more liberal than I, and I'm fairly liberal. Anyway, having shot a rifle only once in my life at this very same range (an AR-15) I showed up at my appointed time to shoot the following (all ammunition and gear and instruction pre-paid):

G36
MP5
Uzi
M4
M249 SAW
Barrett 240

What a thrill! The MP5 kept jamming. I didn't care because it was such a thrill to shoot the actual real weapon I often arm my characters with in Rainbow Six. The Uzi was crazy. I used two hands. It was spray and pray. The M4 was more of a carbine but nice and light weight. My favorite by far was the SAW. I used a tripod for it and the Barrett. The SAW was like heaven on earth. Hardly any friggin' recoil! I guess because of the weight? I was putting bullets into the same hole from 75 feet. Rapidly. No recoil! Wow! Big time fun, but that SAW is dangerous because you can actually hit what you aim at with full finger trigger depression not just short bursts. What a Father's Day present!

For my first guns, and after copious research on YouTube, I became a Beretta man! PX4 Storm Compact in 9mm for home defense and CX4 9mm Carbine. I haven't yet taken the CX4 out of the case. I bought it based on what I researched on YouTube. Don't laugh but until I saw it on the Beretta website and checked out a ton of YouTube videos just a few weeks ago, I didn't even know what a carbine was or how it was different than a rifle. I can use the same bullets in both weapons!!! But I spent a couple of days at the range with the PX4 Storm Compact. Love it. I don't know when I'll have time to actually try the CX4 carbine. Perhaps I should've tried it before I bought it, but I bought a 75K Jaguar without ever driving one or even seeing one (a new model) so what's the risk with a few hundred dollars? The CX4 looks so cool.

I still want to get an AR-15 because it is the most popular firearm (for civilians) in America. But I have a question for you guys who grew up with guns. I'm looking at a Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport II. Here is what I don't get. I saw this same rifle in a store flyer. It was either Cabelas or that Bass something store. I've never been in either store -there are none close to me- but I saw the flyer online. There is also an M&P Sport II with something in it called MOE and Magpul. I have no clue about MOE and Magpul. The prices are different, about a $100, but they look basically the same. What the heck is the difference? Which one should I get? I'm thinking of becoming a Beretta and S&W man. If I get one of the Sport II AR-15s and the M&P Shield as my CCW, my allegiance to Beretta and S&W will be established.

Last edited by Plainsman; 06/19/17 09:12 PM.

Acer: XB 280HK 28" 3840 X 2160, 1ms, w/Nvidia GSync
Corsair: White Graphite 760T Full Tower
Corsair: 16GB Vengeance LPX 2800MHz RAM
Corsair: SP2500 2.1 Gaming Speaker System
INTEL: Six-Core, i7 5820K CPU @4.2Hz
ASUS RTX OC 2080
Logitech 920 Wheel and Pedal System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek Pro Flight Control System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5