Greetings All,

While working on the training modifications to the current Köln aerodrome for OldHat's project I discovered there was a fort nearby. At almost the same time I made this discovery Shredward sent me a plethora of information about not only the fort but also about the historically important Köln-Butzweilerhof aerodrome as well. Now I should point out that said aerodrome is a project that has been, for quite some time, on my list of things to build for WOFF as it is to Die Fliegertruppe what Farnborough and the CFS were to the RFC/RNAS. However, as this is another one of those LARGE projects it will have to wait a while. But in the course of trading e-mails with Shredward we got on the subject of the ring of forts around Verdun that have never been added into the WOFF landscape. There have only ever been the two forts of Douaumont and Vaux to the NE of the city and unfortunately little time was given to even those, (understandable as there were far more important things to add and refine in the sim). I told Shredward I would look into what I could do in terms of placing the additional dozen or so facilities around "The Devil's Anvil". As I have no clue how to build 3-D models for WOFF, (or any other sim for that matter), I am limited to working with what we currently have. So I've spent some time creating a generic facility file for the forts, (which will allow me to more easily fit them into the landscape), and I've gotten creative with some repainting of the stock textures. I've also added in a few buildings and trees and such to give the thing a bit more depth and life. I have attached a couple of screenies showing the "before and after" differences at this point. While it is not ideal I think what I currently have should show fairly well around Verdun and elsewhere.

(right-click on an image and open it in a new tab to view it full size)

[Linked Image]
The stock Fort Douaumont.

[Linked Image]
My reworked Fort Douaumont.

As always, any and all feedback will be much appreciated. What would be even more appreciated would be someone willing to build new models for each of the many forts that formed the ring around the city during the Great War. smile2

Cheers!

Lou

Attached Files WOFF_UE_Fort_Douaumont_001.jpgWOFF_UE_Fort_Douaumont_002.jpg

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"