Yes, hype aside what the stats really show is that AMD is now competitive with Intel again. It's not better, but now there is a chance that they could be come "Ryzen 2" or whatever they choose to call it.

Of course, conspiracy types will say Intel has had a next-gen design waiting in the wings sitting idle until it was deemed necessary, just riding the existing Core coattails for years until that happened, so AMD's return will be short-lived. I don't think that Intel would play that game. I think if they could release a CPU which would have buried AMD by blowing away their last gen chips they would have.

No, Intel believed in their own superiority and figured AMD was permanently a lap down. To find them actually in the rear mirror is a surprise.

My only concern is that instead of taking this as a call to action in CPU development they decide the best way to stay ahead is to knock the other guy down and resort to previous unsavory practices to make themselves stay ahead.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter