AMD was a CPU company that merged with ATI a Canadian GPU company in 2006. All through the 1990s, ATI was known as one of the top GPU companies. I used their stuff and thought they were the best until the "short lived" 3DFx grabbed the 3D GPU market with a bold new product. 3DFx died -- then it was down to ATI and Nvidia and I was back to ATI (since 2003, I only bought 1 Nvidia card and many, many ATI/AMD).

AMD and ATI smartly saw where CPUs and GPUs were going -- they were going to merge into one chip. So, AMD and ATI merged (strictly speaking, the deal was described as AMD buying ATI -- but both were large). From that we got the AMD APU chips -- as well as the current AMD GPUs. For a few years, AMD/ATI kept naming their GPUs ATI. Now, they call them AMD -- which reduces market confusion.

AMD made their own stuff in their own plants -- some in the USA. ATI did not always -- they bought their manufacturing. AMD went broke due to Intel shenanigans (why I don't buy Intel -- Intel has sometimes cheated in a big way trying to put competitors out of business -- that really hurts customers -- e.g. SimHQ folks). In the process, AMD had to sell their manufacturing just to get money to stay in business. They still use at least one of those plants in the USA ("Global Foundries" -- at least its North America -- 5 plants). Now a lot is made in Asia too.

From Wikipedia -- pretty much as I remembered it:

Quote:
ATI Technologies Inc. (commonly called ATI) was a semiconductor technology corporation based in Markham, Ontario, Canada, that specialized in the development of graphics processing units and chipsets. Founded in 1985 as Array Technology Inc., the company listed publicly in 1993. Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) acquired ATI in 2006. As a major fabrication-less or fabless semiconductor company, ATI conducted research and development in-house and outsourced the manufacturing and assembly of its products. With the decline and eventual bankruptcy of 3dfx in 2000, ATI and its chief rival Nvidia emerged as the two dominant players in the graphics processors industry, eventually forcing other manufacturers into niche roles.

The acquisition of ATI in 2006 was important to AMD's strategic development of its Fusion generation of computer processors, which integrated general processing abilities with graphics processing functions within a single chip. Since 2010, AMD's graphics processor products have ceased using the ATI brand name...

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro