Originally Posted By: Allen
Just putting this here because its interesting -- no matter what hardware one has.

A pie chart of Windows version market share. Windows 7 still rules -- even though official support is done. Businesses did not want to change from W7, it is said (makes "dollars and sense"). Windows 10 has no downsides I have found (except no Windows Media Center support).

I always like to contrast what they show at the Net Market Share site with other sources, because they do not let you filter the data unless you pay.

Their data is global, which includes China and countries still in development. Which make Win XP and 7 still good alternatives, and OSX a very rare one in those locations.

Statcounter gathers similar data than NMS and allows you to filter the data. Filtering by US market provided no data, so I used the North America filter and got this:

http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-na-monthly-201509-201610

And you can see, it is more representative of the US market, with OSX in proximity to Windows (still below), and Windows 10 quickly closing the gap on Windows 7.

To further contrast, these are the current hardware stats for Steam. Gamers seem to have gone full blown on Windows 10. Remember this is gathered from a fraction of the 150-175 Million active accounts of Steam, so it is very representative of gamers worldwide.

Last edited by Bib4Tuna; 11/02/16 05:26 PM.