Originally Posted By: Allen
Quote:
Sony has official confirmed the rumors that it is building a 4K VR-friendly flavor of the Playstation.

According to the FT the new PlayStation 4 gaming console will be upgraded so that it can offer ultra-high definition 4K resolution and richer graphics...

4K and VR in a PS4 console. Just noting this because the PS4 uses AMD CPU and GPU hardware.

The upgunned PS4 will use an upgunned version of the AMD components. Thus, more 4K and VR games are likely to be developed for AMD hardware first (then ported to Intel/Nvidia). However, switching from Intel/Nvidia primary-development to AMD is not complete -- its ongoing -- its a process.

To put more perspective into this, the leaked specs from several weeks ago already pointed this towards Polaris (RX480) and the same cpu with higher clock I believe.....whilst I can see this is a requirement for a higher frames-per-sec for VR I really don't think we're looking at 4K gaming at all - not for console titles anyway. You only need to look at how much horsepower is actually needed and how the 980Ti/Fury copes - there is no chance consoles will get 60fps in premium titles unless games are massively gimped, and given that Sony has already stipulated to developers what is/isn't allowed between 'normal' and 'Neo' games I think we have a fair idea of what's coming and that will be 1080p/60fps locked across the board with some extra bells and whistles. I'm sure there will be 4K content but probably video and not AAA games.

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.