Originally Posted By: Allen
Originally Posted By: SkateZilla
the 52% utilization was a bit of an eyebrow though, wouldnt that mean a single GPU would perform about the same?

I don't know.

The Crossfired RX 480 were performing a bit better than Nvidia 1080 -- where 2 RX 480 were operating at just over 50 percent capacity (so may have "had head room") -- but 1080 was nearly 100 percent and had "no more to give".

I speculated that may be due to the graphics API being used. The AMD Polaris design is rumored to outperform the 1080 design with some APIs that game companies use. For example, AMD was said to perform very well with the "cross platform" APIs -- for example Vulcan.

I'm assuming we'll know by the time we can actually buy a Polaris.

From AMD site -- regarding Vulcan:

Quote:
...From the consortium that brought you OpenGL, Vulkan is a new graphics API.. Vulkan gives devs total control over the performance, efficiency, and capabilities of Radeon™ GPUs and multi-core CPUs.

Compared to OpenGL, Vulkan substantially reduces “API overhead,” .. Vulkan also exposes GPU hardware features not ordinarily accessible through OpenGL.

Vulkan inherits these capabilities from AMD’s Mantle graphics API...

Though the Mantle API was tailored for AMD hardware, Mantle was also designed with just enough hardware abstraction to accommodate almost any modern graphics architecture [so it works for Nvidia too -- maybe not as well, though]...

then again, now that you mention it, AMD has had a definitive Edge in DX12 w/ ASYNC.

A fun side fact,
DX7->11 was developed w/ Intel and nVidia's Assistance.
DX12/Vulkan was developed w/ Intel and AMD's Assistance.

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB