Originally Posted By: Allen
In the AMD presentation, Crosfired RX 480 out performed single Nvidia 1080 in Ashes of the Singularity (a DX12 title).

Some have questioned "how could that be"? Skatezilla and I gave some thoughts earlier in this thread. I thought it might be the graphics API.

Others are asking the same question in on-line articles -- because the AMD and Nvidia images looked slightly different. AMD has responded with the game settings for both cards. The settings seem identical. They used the AotS provided "in game" benchmark that the AotS developers themselves put in to compare systems -- which seems "on the up and up".

However, AotS uses "procedural" rendering. That is, it takes into account what it is running on and the game situation and then modifies what it shows you. So, in that sense, no two systems will have perfectly identical in-game images.

Fudzilla tries to explain it:

Quote:
...During AMD's product demonstration on stage at its Computex 2016 launch event, some noticeable differences could be distinguished between the texture quality of the Radeon RX 480 CrossFire demo and the single Geforce GTX 1080 demo. As many have noted, Ashes of the Singularity is a DirectX 12 strategy game that uses procedural generation for rendering textures, along with dynamic game character unit composition depending on the map situation. These rendering features will prevent any two running instances of the game from ever being identical..

Regardless, we are thankful that AMD's responses have shown to be transparent and cooperative so far during a few short email conversations on the matter...

Fudzilla Article

My Summary: In brief, partly it is the Graphics API. It has been rumored elsewhere that AMD does a good job using DX12 and Vulcan because unique hardware support has been built into the AMD design for a couple years now. However, its only now that these APIs are being used in games.

AS I Said, the last 10 seconds of that demo, the nVidia side clearly had a more defined shadow on the ground and more brown paths than the ATI Side, but I also noted that I didnt know if that was because of how the AI had Damaged/Destroyed/Deformed the Terrain, etc.

Other than that obviously glaring difference, the 3d Object/Texture detail was the same, as well as the shader effects.

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB