Originally Posted By: Allen

However, we're not trying to "spin". Spin is a form of lying.

Rather, we're simply regurgitating rumors regarding AMD -- and hoping they're true "this time". They've been in error in the past. So, as usual, we hope and wait for the test reports and the financial statements.

I would also classify spin as drawing a positive conclusion from facts and rumors that could also easily lead to a negative conclusion, but choosing to go with positive.

For example - fact: politician accused of scandal. Not proven, just an accusation that went public.

Positive spin would be people rushing to their defense, giving character testimonials, positing conspiracy to stain record to hamper their effectiveness, etc. No lies, just refusing to believe the scandal is true and that it's an attempt to hinder them, innocent till proven guilty with irrefutable proof.
Negative spin would be expressing sadness/outrage/shock that said politician could do such a thing, speculating on the likelihood of a resignation and the timing (hinting that sooner is better), casting aspersions on those who are defending the accused as being complicit, etc. No lies, just instantly believing the worst of them, guilty till proven innocent with irrefutable proof that it was a lie to begin with.

You could say that because AMD's new product X is Y% percent better they're going to dominate the product cycle as its competitors scramble to catch up, or you could say that despite the improvements in the technology on paper, AMD has a history of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory and that they need a miracle to have a result that does more than just perpetuate the status quo.
Both based on the facts/rumors of the new product, but very different perspectives of what it means for the company and its customers.

That's what I mean by spin--putting a rosy face on the worst news or dumping cold water on the best news.

I don't have an opinion on the rumor one way or another, I just think based on recent history it's expecting more from AMD than they've proved they're likely to deliver. They've certainly done it in the past, but that past is getting more and more distant and investors want to see a victory today or tomorrow. It's the perils of being a publicly traded company in the 21st century. Even the mighty Apple is showing cracks to its investors.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter