Journal Entry: October 10, 1915
St. Pol-sur-Mer

I guess patience is a virtue because today my patience has finally paid off, today I had two encounters with the vaunted new Hun machine. This morning's sortie was an artillery shoot up near Lens, while we were orbiting registering the artillery salvos, here came two of the Hun monoplanes flying along without a care in the world. I'm sure they thought the three Morane L's above them didn't pose any threat, but they were dreadfully wrong. As soon as I spotted them, I signaled the flight to attack. I don't think even as we were attacking that they considered us a serious threat, well I'm sure the Hun whose wings collapsed isn't thinking that now. I was pleased with the performance of the whole flight, we all fired at the Huns but I was fortunate enough to provide the killing burst. While all of this was going on, the other Hun fled for the safety of his aerodrome, can't say that I blame him.

This afternoon we had a line patrol up on the Lens to Loos line. Once again, as we were patrolling I spotted a single Hun monoplane approaching below and to the Southeast of us. I signaled the attack and we dove on him, he turned and ran but somehow we managed to chase him down. Tom gave him a burst and he spiraled into the ground. I think he must have either killed the pilot or wounded him.

Anyway, I go from not seeing anything since Sept 25 to having two combats in the same day with the newest Hun machine. Now, I feel like I can start paying them back for what they did to my brother Jimmy.

--------------------------------------
I don't know if the Fokker Scourge add-on had anything to do with today's action, but the skies sure seemed busier and I did see three Fokker E.Is.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC