Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
I still don't get how Kristen Stewart gets film roles. She's one of the dullest and most lifeless actresses I've ever seen.

I know what you mean. But... there is an explanation. They cast her BECAUSE she is dull and lifeless.

I don't know the full history of it, but apparently this started with Keanu in The Matrix. Dunno if for that one if it was a happy accident that worked like gangbusters, or if it was a deliberate experiment, or a plan they knew would work.

The theory goes that normally the main character is interesting and full of life... but this is hard for people to measure up to. Thus its "watching someone else". But, if they want an audience member to actually FEEL like they are that character, the character must be little more than a cardboard cutout. Something plain onto which a viewer can project themselves onto... and INTO THE MOVIE.

They want the audience to see themselves as Neo, or Bella. To "feel" as if they were the ones in that situation. That is why Stewart was cast in the Twighlight movies. They want women to feel as if they had the two guys fighting over her... not that some super interesting and beautiful bombshell has two guys after her. Thus "average, plain, boring, monotone" is EXACTLY what they want.

That's the theory.

It doesn't work on me, I think. But I do think the studios are thinking it works to some degree and are doing this in an effort to maximise profits, hoping to get a few more viewers who maybe don't buy many movies. By making them feel like it was something they EXPERIENCED rather than passively watched. Even though passively watching was all they did!

Now, I've not even see any Twighlight at all. I suspect that the studio that made Hunger Games wanted the same bland dull "acting" from Lawrence too, for the same effect.

Maybe this only works on women... but this is apparently the theory they are using: projection of self onto main character IN the movie. As silly as the idea is, it may actually work: Matrix = massive hit. Twighlight = big hit. Hunger Games = pretty big hit., so those movies did generate big cash, maybe it works. Or maybe these movies would have done just as well, or better with characters interesting and lots of charisma?

POLITICS, WAR, ECONOMY, CONTROVERSY! and other heated discussions and debates in the PWEC sub-forum at the bottom of this forum main page. See you there!