BOYHOOD.

The life of a young man, Mason, from age 5 to age 18. Where the actors (Ellar Coltrane, Patricia Arquette, Ethan Hawke) played the film in real time so it took 13 years to make.

Mrs Heinkill talked me into this one. I left the cinema after the first of the three hours the film runs, and found a sports bar. In that hour there was only 5 minutes of drama, then it was back to documenting the boring fictional life of a boring fictional family.

Now the whole idea of actors who age naturally with the film could have been interesting. But the director completely pooched this fantastic opportunity by slavishly doing the film chronologically (and slooooooowly) instead of mixing it up a bit and showing us the kid at 6, then the kid at 18, then the kid at 15...after an hour I really felt like I had lived through those first few years in real time too. Yawwwwwwwwn.

So here is my list of things that are more fun that watching BOYHOOD:

- cleaning your gutters (did that earlier today and found a frog. That was more exciting)
- waiting in the waiting room of the dentist (at least there is some suspense)
- getting your teeth drilled by the dentist (at least you feel something)
- a good bowel movement (the stink only lasts a few minutes, not three hours)

I could obviously continue, but you get the drift. This film is the ultimate triumph of style over substance. Nice idea technically, totally forgettable as a film.

[Linked Image]