I totally agree with having the Historical Ace Death option. I tend to avoid joining ace heavy squadrons because I actually find the generated pilots by far more realistic & immersive - right down to those wonderfully lucid 2 line descriptions in their dossiers! The fact that historical aces cannot die until a predetermined date does spoil the reality/immersion factor for me. For example in my current campaign I have flown 4 missions with the squadron's only HA Grassmann - in 3 of those missions he's been listed as crashed/shot down slightly injured with a written off machine, once behind enemy lines - but next day he's always ready for the next mission, even his moral hasn't changed! As a result Grassmann has become an unreal drone like figure to me while paradoxically the generated pilots are living entity's!

I really do think it would be better if Historical Ace's were allowed to follow a new timeline from the date you join the squadron not a predetermined one. He should have his current score (estimated by date if records are scarce) up on the duty roster & dossier not N/A and with the lucid description of skill/moral from same source as the generated pilots not the stock 3 or 4 which they get now. If the HA hasn't yet achieved his status you may not recognise him yet - if he has then his high score would make him a prominent figure in the squadron whose fate is of real importance.

I can only take Grassmann's example from experience as I haven't survived long enough to see it but I hope Historical Aces do have periods low moral - many were plagued by their fears(ie Mannock) and flew with a skilled caution which allowed them to survive long enough to compile their scores. They were not indestructible supermen.

Last edited by JamesL; 01/26/14 11:15 AM.