I'm not a flight sim fan, so take it for what's it worth- I've only been exposed to a handful of them, none less than 10 years old.

I have both EECH and Gunship!, succinctly stated, Gunship! had a primitive, arcadish flight model out of the box, but by far is a better demonstration of tactics used by mechanized forces on a modern battlefield. They used more real world force templates that a Red Force enemy might employ, at least up to battalion scale. I got more enjoyment out of scripted or handmade missions which could do more specific things rather than generic 'dynamic campaigns' where it always played the same way out every time. EECH has better flight characteristics and more suited for just going around blowing things up- it's actually necessary, or the campaign seemed to stalemate, the computer logic simply was not creative enough to plan breakthroughs and coordinate even battalion level maneuvers. The player had to hijack missions and go off on his own and identify and destroy centers of gravity in order to speed the campaign along, or it would just slog in tit for tat attrition fighting. Many times the computer would plan an attack right into the teeth of defenses or just assign meaningless errands, and I would ignore those and take control of everything,

No one gets out of here alive.