http://www.savingcontent.com/xwing

Time to dust off your X-Wing, Tie Fighter, X-Wing vs Tie Fighter and X-Wing Alliance CDs.

I've just finished writing my guide on how to get these games running on Windows 7 (both 32-bit and 64-bit). This guide should also help you get it running on Vista or XP if you have problems but I haven't explicitly tested on those platforms (I mainly tested on Windows 7 64-bit). This guide also includes help on how to get the DOS versions working of X-Wing and Tie Fighter if thats your fancy (especially if you want to experience the games using iMuse).

And just so you guys know, this guide adressing getting 3D acceleration working on all of the games and also how to get 16:9 and Antialiasing in X-Wing Alliance like below:

I've included instructions on how to set these games up using an Xbox 360 controller, but I figure a lot of people here have flight sticks, so feel free to ignore those instructions if that's the case smile

If you have any troubles getting things running just drop a line here. I'm just hoping I didn't screw anything up.

Table of Contents
  1. Introduction
  2. X-Wing
  3. X-Wing (DOS CD-ROM Edition)
  4. X-Wing Reconstructed
  5. Tie Fighter
  6. Tie Fighter (DOS CD-ROM Edition)
  7. Tie Fighter Reconstructed
  8. X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter: Balance of Power Campaign
  9. X-Wing Alliance
  10. X-Wing Alliance Graphical Upgrades
  11. Keyboard, Mouse & TrackIR Support

----

I've also been working on an audio mod for X-Wing (Windows) and Tie Fighter (Windows) to:

A) restore the original music where its been completely changed from the DOS versions. This is especially egregious in Tie Fighter where they completely replaced the original soundtrack with John William's music
B) Have the non-Redbook audio music be much higher quality. LucasArts just recorded super low bitrate/mono WAVs of the DOS version's music of these games using what sounds like a crappy Adlib card. Theres a fellow by the name of Daniel Bennett who has been working on resynthesizing the music using some modern tools to make it sound like something you'd hear in a modern game and also be at a much higher KHz and in Stereo.

Its going to be a couple of weeks until the mods are available however. The Tie Fighter one may be coming sooner than later, but Daniel has a busy schedule and only has so much time to dedicate to this project.