OK, so I had some free time yesterday, and installed on my old XP rig. Sure enough the altitude effect on over-torque is the same as on my Vista machine. So that means it is not technically a design bug. That of course does not mean however, that it is not an exaggerated effect on todays faster machines just as Recluse has pointed out in other posts about say 'Turbulance' being ridiculously exagerated because of the game running too fast.

I installed on my XP rig not only to check the torque issue, but also because today I am going to install Hamachi on both and see if I can get MP to work using TCP/IP mode. This of course is in preparation for an eventual MP mission or two down the road.
WinkNGrin

Originally Posted By: Recluse
That's interesting! I recall back in the day doing an Azer2000 campaign, many many missions in and there was not a SINGLE red icon left on the map, and at the end of the mission, it declared the enemy victorious... SAY WHAAAAAT??? Eugene and I did a complete MP campaign (non-AZER2000, IIRC) and there was an odd bug where I as the client could NEVER see troops, for example being dropped off or picked up in an Insertion/Extraction. Despite the fact that he as HOST saw SUCCESS+, I saw a FAILED mission, because, for some reason, my machine didn't see any troops surviving. At the end of the campaign, and while he saw a VICTORY, I did not and didn't even get a ribbon!! Never got to the bottom of that one.

OMG, that is crazy! I think I would be irritated if the enemy was victorious after their complete obliteration! If you are truly interested in ribbons/stats/mission completions, all that can be adjusted in the .dat file so that even if some bugs in MP didn't net you the reward, you can still get it. If honestly earned, I don't see a problem with adjusting the .dat file accordingly.

Originally Posted By: Recluse
There was nothing I liked better than hovering just outside the range of a ZSU-23 and getting a rocket kill. Their range was something like 2.3 Km and I could get rocket kills out to the max 3 Km. Using MPSM to take out tanks was fun too, though they would NOT generally work on stationary tanks in revetments, despite the fact that the bomblets SHOULD have been dispersing down onto the turret.

OK, I have a confession to make. After testing out on my XP rig, I also discovered that although using Turbo to slow down my CPU does prevent the 'Low Rotor RPM' or 'Blade Stall' issue, it does not stop the exagerated 'Turbulence' effect or fix the HE rockets landing short of their target. Just as you have discovered in other posts about this bug Recluse, I have also discovered that I CAN get the rockets to hit their target if I slow the CPU down to some insane number -- but it comes at a very steep price. Just as you explained, my framerate is just lunacy when I do this, and I have all kinds of problems with my USB joystick constantly freezing up at these low CPU levels. It's simply not worth it. So I never did find that 'balance' between framerate and rockets working. I just have to settle for some in-between workaround. I can still use rockets and make kills, but I have to forego using them over say about 1.3 KM. At close range I can still get a kill, but not over longer distances. Killing a ZSU at 3 KM is quite an accomplishment and it's a shame it is not possible on today's machines. I was somewhat dissapointed by this when I was testing yesterday, but then who am I to complain when I am after all having loads of fun on a sim that is 14 years old!
cool

AH-64D Longbow - Purchased in 1996
Longbow Gold - Purchased in 1997
Longbow Anthology - Purchased in 1998 (still have)
...Looking for the 'Ingress Point' to this,
my fav sim of all time!