Originally Posted By: Richardg
After some time playing, I have uninstalled both of them.

I think I'm too old and crotchety for RTS games anymore.

I totally understand!! It took me many, many starts before I started enjoying (if you could call it that) CoH. SHoWW2 and FoW were much easier to get into and by the time MoW shipped, I knew the engine so I was able to get into it quickly BUT, I didn't like some of the changes. With Red Tide, my dislikes multiplied and Assault Squad pretty much put me off the franchise altogether!! I'm tempted to try the latest Vietnam as the devs are claiming it's getting back to the strengths of the franchise (small-scale squad tactics), but I've pretty much lost all confidence in the devs. After FoW they've only listened and catered to those who prefer large-scale frantic mayhem over small-scale strategy and tactics.

What I find rather interesting is for both of these franchises (CoH and MoW) the overall reception with each new release has been less positive than it was for prior releases. This could mean any number of things but what quickly comes to mind are:

- these devs are just churning out more of the same
- the games are actually getting worse (less enjoyable)
- there is still a substantial number of gameplayers who prefer strategy and tactics over frantic, glitzy fragfests

Too bad to - both franchises have awesome potential, but CoH seems all but dead and MoW is heading the wrong way!! Oh well.....

I'm a reasonable guy, but I've just experienced some very unreasonable things...